Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

webfact

2 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Wrong. Not if that car has just pulled a u-turn in front of you. If you threw a hurried u-turn in New Zealand and the car coming the other way smashed into you, you're completely in the wrong. You have zero facts to back that up. 

The scenario you present in the final sentence is completely hypothetical and irrelevant to the conversation, because it wasn't a case of the car having to make an emergency stop, it was a car turning into oncoming traffic. 

It was travelling in the same direction.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, BestB said:

Was not there so can not comment but hardly uncommon for locals to overtake turning vehicle or one turning.

see it and experience it every day, I indicate to turn right and they go to overtake on the right and at speed.

saying that just as normal for many local bikes NOT to have working lights  and fly down the street 

27 Sep 2018 - Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for 2017 show, there were: 1,793 reported road deaths, similar to the level seen since 2012. 170,993 casualties of all severities in reported road traffic accidents

doesn't cover accidents without injury

Section 35, Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979):

"The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible."

Why was the motorbike in the outside lane? The outside lane is for overtaking only.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

27 Sep 2018 - Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for 2017 show, there were: 1,793 reported road deaths, similar to the level seen since 2012. 170,993 casualties of all severities in reported road traffic accidents

Sorry confused how this stats relates to my comment 

1 minute ago, smedly said:

Check out the stats for Thailand. If you can't be bothered, just double it and add a zero.

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why?

They don't normally breathalyze their own here so why should a foreigner not get the same benefit of the doubt?

because it is the right thing to do, and Thias do get breathalyzed - drunk drivers should be locked up - simple

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

"The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible."

Why was the motorbike in the outside lane? That lane is for overtaking only.

Never adhered to in Thailand but sounds as though he was overtaking, or preparing to overtake, anyway.

20 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

No thanks, taxis and a/c buses for me.

As is the way in Thailand, If the taxi or bus was to crash with you in it then you'd probably still be liable. 

Nothing on this planet would ever get me on one of those a/c buses. They have an appalling safety record. 

26 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I've ridden a moto here and had no issues for the three years I've been here. I think it's basically abiding by the rule of thumb that you should assume that drivers haven't/can't see you and drive accordingly. Every one of those u-turns I drive up to, I find myself pumping the breaks and expecting someone to turn in front of me. 

I am genuinely surprised by the number of farang who choose not to wear helmets when riding bikes here though. While the feel of the wind in your hair is great, it's offset by the potential for the feeling of concrete on your scalp...

been riding a Superbike here for 14 years, travelled everywhere in Thailand and further, your post is spot on

My money is still on the Brit pulling across in front of the Thai when it wasn't safe or clear to do so but as already mentioned - we weren't there so it is all opinion

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

because it is the right thing to do, and Thias do get breathalyzed - drunk drivers should be locked up - simple

Happened to my wife very recently. Scooter T-boned her right outside a police box. Guy jumped up and told my wife that she had to take him to hospital and she was paying.

Copper came up, told the guy that he was drunk (true) and that he'd better get on his bike and get himself home, sharpish. No breathalyser, no ticket, no insurance and no helmet. Just "On your way sonny".

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sorry to break this to you, but in most Western counties, if you rear end a car, it's almost always deemed to be your fault. If he was travelling a safe distance behind the car and was aware, he would have been able to stop. If the farang hadn't been making a U turn but had to make an emergency stop and he got rear ended by the bike, would it still have been the farang's fault?

it is reported the Brit pulled across in front on the thai - until we hear otherwise that is what happened - it was the Brits fault based on what has been reported

6 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Why was the motorbike in the outside lane? The outside lane is for overtaking only.

On a dual carriageway, there is a narrow (less than a metre wide) 'lane', on the right-hand side of the outside lane, past the continuous yellow end-of-carriageway marker.

What is that supposed to be used for? Is it for motorbikes turning right, or some other use - if any?

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

it is reported the Brit pulled across in front on the thai - until we hear otherwise that is what happened - it was the Brits fault based on what has been reported

No, based on what was reported, it was 100% the Thais fault. Sorry if that doesn't suit your Thai apologist agenda. Never mind, keep trying.

14 minutes ago, blackcab said:

nobody can answer that - the car could have been moving slowly on the left looking for a road on the right or wanting to make a U-turn then suddenly moved to the right  thinking there was nothing behind him and it was clear - bang

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No, based on what was reported, it was 100% the Thais fault. Sorry if that doesn't suit your Thai apologist agenda. Never mind, keep trying.

you really are talking nonsense but hey - up to you what you want to believe

1 hour ago, webfact said:

U-turn. He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed.

hmmmmmmmm was always  taught  to leave enough room for the "unexpected" but in Thailand leaving enough room = "im barging in"

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

nobody can answer that - the car could have been moving slowly on the left looking for a road on the right or wanting to make a U-turn then suddenly moved to the right  thinking there was nothing behind him and it was clear - bang

Perhaps bike had no lights, not visible in the middle of the night ?

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:
15 minutes ago, smedly said:

Where does it state that?

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

<deleted> read the OP 

It doesn't say "the Brit pulled across in front on the thai".

1 hour ago, smedly said:

very surprised at that comment coming from you ????

there are many possibilities that all point to the car being at fault - I hope the Brit was breathalysed

AND the Thais please.

Sorry to repeat you Kannot.

14 minutes ago, smedly said:

No, that was not "reported". The Thai motorcycle claimed that the Brit pulled "across in front of the Thai". What was reported was that the Thai hit the Brit's car on the right-rear of his car. Yes I know, that's a bit of semantics, but one is an unsubstantiated claim and the other/latter is fact.

IF the Brit did indeed "suddenly pull across in front" of the Thai driver, then the collision would have been somewhere on the left side of the Brit's car. I don't know why so many people on this thread are ignoring that fact.

2 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

IF the Brit did indeed "suddenly pull across in front" of the Thai driver, then the collision would have been somewhere on the left side of the Brit's car. I don't know why so many people on this thread are ignoring that fact.

oh ?  how many RTA's have you investigated

Archived