Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

webfact

I'd like to know if both the Brit and the Thai had licenses, tax, insurance, not drunk/no drugs etc. and if either are a fail on this front then they are at fault as they shouldn't have even been on the road in the first place. If both flunk it on this issue then toss them both in the slammer.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

No, that was not "reported". The Thai motorcycle claimed that the Brit pulled "across in front of the Thai". What was reported was that the Thai hit the Brit's car on the right-rear of his car. Yes I know, that's a bit of semantics, but one is an unsubstantiated claim and the other/latter is fact.

IF the Brit did indeed "suddenly pull across in front" of the Thai driver, then the collision would have been somewhere on the left side of the Brit's car. I don't know why so many people on this thread are ignoring that fact.

I must be missing something obvious here. This phrase you've used too: "the Brit pulled "across in front of the Thai"."

The quote is:

"Chalermphon said he was heading for Sukhumvit Road when the car made a sudden and unexpected U-turn. He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed. "

Nothing about "pulled across in front of". A "a sudden and unexpected U-turn" doesn't have to mean anyone pulled across, or changed lanes.

Any of you guys wonder why this is even news worthy.  Thai drivers run over and run into western expats daily on Thai roadways, and it is seldom mentioned.  Many are even hit and run accidents.  

Thai media seems to subliminally point out, westerns are bad for Thailand.  There will be posters who will laugh about this but think how Thai Immigration is quietly getting rid of as many westerns as they can with their latest visa hurdles.  Just something to think about ????        

21 minutes ago, smedly said:

perhaps

Perhaps they were sitting on the bike backwards - perhaps

There are educated guessses based on facts and then there is just silly trolling. Will let you figure out which category your comment falls in.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Great story, but it also stands to reason you'll see more poor thai driving than poor western driving given westerners only make up a fraction of the population. 

Ultimately the guy has u-turned into oncoming traffic and has been ploughed into by a car that had right of way. I know who I would pick to be at fault. 

Nonsense, try reading the article, sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here are capable of reading past the headlines.

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I must be missing something obvious here. This phrase you've used too: "the Brit pulled "across in front of the Thai"."

The quote is:

"Chalermphon said he was heading for Sukhumvit Road when the car made a sudden and unexpected U-turn. He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed. "

Nothing about "pulled across in front of". A "a sudden and unexpected U-turn" doesn't have to mean anyone pulled across, or changed lanes.

It's what user Smedley has claimed in a couple of posts. My fault for not directly quoting him.

The point I've been trying to make in pretty much all of my posts in this thread is that if the Thai hit the car on the right-side, then he had plenty of time to either: 1) slow down, or 2) change direction slightly to the right in order to pass. It's basic defensive driving and I do this almost everyday when I'm driving, most of the time for people who are not already 80%-90% through their U-turn but for people who just jump out into traffic expecting you to stop or slow down for them

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

No, based on what was reported, it was 100% the Thais fault. Sorry if that doesn't suit your Thai apologist agenda. Never mind, keep trying.

In today's news: Spidey tells us exactly who was at fault, based on some stuff he read in the news, and ignoring what the Police said. 

Tomorrow: Spidey tells us how he'll solve the smog problem, and how we can all make Thailand great again. 

36 minutes ago, BestB said:

There are educated guessses based on facts and then there is just silly trolling. Will let you figure out which category your comment falls in.

you can have as many perhapses as you like - none of them are facts, and your educated guesses are based on what exact training, qualifications or education, how many RTA's have you attended or investigated 

Looking at the accident pictures, especially where the bike impacted the vehicle, it is very clear that Mr. Stoned turned right, in front of the bike.

Regardless of whether he used his signal indicator or whether the bike was travelling too fast (on the right side) or whether the bike had working lights, it is clear that Mr. Stonard did not exercise sufficient due care when making his manoeuvre. So even if the bike was at fault (most likely scenario in my mind), Mr. Stonard also has to take some blame for his relative lack of driving skill in the Thai context.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

57 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

consider this is an interpretation from Thai to English, also consider that what ever was going on it was likely impossible for the Thai to positively be sure the Brit was performing a u-turn - he likely just assumed that when he pulled in front of him causing an accident, the Brit never got to complete the maneuver as both vehicles were on the same side of the road with the car facing the right direction with a rear impact

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Regardless of whether he used his signal indicator or whether the bike was travelling too fast (on the right side) or whether the bike had working lights, it is clear that Mr. Stonard did not exercise sufficient due care when making his manoeuvre.

I agree 100% with that comment

2 hours ago, smedly said:

looking at the rear of the car it seems the Brit hadn't actually started his alleged U-turn as the bike seems to have gone straight into the rear of the car,

Rubbish. Take another look and put your specs on. The damage is to the rear RHS, exactly as reported.

RHS damage.jpg

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

I'd like to know if both the Brit and the Thai had licenses, tax, insurance, not drunk/no drugs etc. and if either are a fail on this front then they are at fault as they shouldn't have even been on the road in the first place. If both flunk it on this issue then toss them both in the slammer.

I agree with you - except with the slammer - let them pay and if they cannot slammer but not more than a month.

28 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i was in Bangkok Bank Friday and a clown parked smack on the zebra crossing, on second road Jomtien put his hazards on and then went shopping, gone for ages, 

Well this is wholly irrelevant to anything we're talking about. It's not a story about poor parking

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

Good to see the farang defenders warming up on here. 

Hate to break it to you all, but westerners can and do drive badly as well...

Well..

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

Great story, but it also stands to reason you'll see more poor thai driving than poor western driving given westerners only make up a fraction of the population. 

Ultimately the guy has u-turned into oncoming traffic and has been ploughed into by a car that had right of way. I know who I would pick to be at fault. 

..As the OP says :

"He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed".

It seems to me that the motorbike was following the car too closely.

I wonder if there's a rule about it.

Unexpected means that he was too close and didn't see the manoeuvre in time.
Without other evidence insurance companies will blame the driver/rider going into the vehicle in front.

Not strictly true. Many other posters also mentioned that the biker was following too closely which is also not necessarily true.

For all we know, the car might have been travelling in the left lane and the bike in the right lane. I have seen many occasions where a driver would cut across two lanes to make a right turn / u-turn without properly checking their side mirror.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Rubbish. Take another look and put your specs on. The damage is to the rear RHS, exactly as reported.

RHS damage.jpg

it just makes the case even stronger that the Brit pulled across in front of the bike

and looking at the car it seems he almost had completed the U-turn as he is almost facing the opposite direction near the center of the road, looks like he started this maneuver from the far left side of the road

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Not strictly true. Many other posters also mentioned that the biker was following too closely which is also not necessarily true.

For all we know, the car might have been travelling in the left lane and the bike in the right lane. I have seen many occasions where a driver would cut across two lanes to make a right turn / u-turn without properly checking their side mirror.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

exactly

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I would not be surprised if he was not prepared for anything that would need his attention while driving.

That doesn't hold water, many seem to drive without any consideration or concern about what might happen due to not being focused. Their minds do not work that way. Many ride with a toddler balanced or standing before them , while text messaging or looking elsewhere.

It is illegal to do a u turn other than at a designated u turn locations. Many accidents have been caused due to persons including Thai not being aware of this . Yes it’s never enforced unless there is a accident and then the insurance will point out the error .

33 minutes ago, smedly said:

it just makes the case even stronger that the Brit pulled across in front of the bike

and looking at the car it seems he almost had completed the U-turn as he is almost facing the opposite direction near the center of the road, looks like he started this maneuver from the far left side of the road

crude sketch but says a lot

Untitled.thumb.jpg.baccaa1936b7069a7f9e5c2c98b43569.jpg

Archived