Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

webfact

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the years I have seen cars driven by both Thai and Farlungs consistently making U Turns on Thepprasit Road. 

It is dangerous , its is lazy and it is inconsiderate when it sometimes holds up  traffic in the process.

There is no excuse for for driving in this manner.

Stop in a suitable place where you can reverse into a driveway, and then do a right turn !

Real simple! Much Safer !

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Great story, but it also stands to reason you'll see more poor thai driving than poor western driving given westerners only make up a fraction of the population. 

Ultimately the guy has u-turned into oncoming traffic and has been ploughed into by a car that had right of way. I know who I would pick to be at fault. 

If you think that the standard of driving by the local population here is on par with that in the US, UK, Australia, Japan, Korea, Germany etc etc, then that's your considered opinion.

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

In today's news: Spidey tells us exactly who was at fault, based on some stuff he read in the news, and ignoring what the Police said. 

Tomorrow: Spidey tells us how he'll solve the smog problem, and how we can all make Thailand great again. 

What smog problem? Crystal clear here. Stop making it up. 555

Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

2pm.jpg.c93766ab05eb59cbb4235408820ba682.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

Police were called to an accident in Thepprasit Road, Pattaya just after midnight on Sunday when two Thais on a motorbike hit a car driven by a British man.

Pol Lt Aris Phuangsawai and Sawang Boriboon rescue personnel were on the scene and found a Honda City with Chonburi plates stopped in the middle of the road. It had damage to the right rear side.

The driver was named as 34 year old Samuel Matthew Stonard.

On the tarmac was a Yamaha Spark with an Ayuthaya plate and two people, a man and a woman.

They were named as Chalermphon Pongketrakarn, 35, and Khamyat Dechabun, 44.

After being given first aid at the scene they were taken to Bang Lamung Hospital.

Chalermphon said he was heading for Sukhumvit Road when the car made a sudden and unexpected U-turn. He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed.

Source: The Pattaya News

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-18
A lot of talk here but the fact remains if you hit someone from behind or get hit while trying to overtake you are in the wrong end of story.
It says hit on the back corner during,
a U turn according to the Thai version. Firstly how did they know he was Uturning. Secondly what else could they say after hitting the car, the first thing that came into their head because U turning is a normal thing for Thais but not for Farlangs.
Also poor Thaivisa one sided heading
"Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How many times has this happened ...to me plenty, to friends certainly (with one police involvement after a similar collision).

Always been a kamikaze 'overtaking' exercise by a Thai on a motorcy in an awareness coma (read ploughing down the centre/offside side of the road at max speed giving no regard to any other traffic let alone anything indicating right or indeed turning right.

Something always gets lost in the translation of course - whereas 'crazy farang u turned without warning' should more correctly be pronounced 'My brain was buffeting along the tarmac long after I should really have engaged it'

Not saying THIS was the case in this instance BUT... on more than one occasion I have observed “Motorbike Mutts” picking their nose whilst riding, then examining the produce prior to either eating it or thoughtlessly discarding it on the road with a casual Flick of their fingers.

I hasten to point out that my observations have NOT been made whilst I was driving but as a passenger, being driven by my wife or daughter, neither of whom pick their nose and are equally as disgusted as I am at this revolting habit.

One poster talked of dual carriageways but Theprasit is a normal 2 way road without formal U turns. 

If the car had turned from the very left lane to u turn the Thai would certainly have said that, but he didn't 

Anyway we only have the Thai version that the Brit was making a u turn, it is perfectly possible that he was merely turning right. 

I agree with other posts that there are many Farang drivers in this country that are poor, but many more that are very good yet still get blamed if something happens. Five years ago I was indicating and making a right turn in the centre  of Sisaket, when a motorcycle taxi came from nowhere and hit my offside. He was clearly at fault, yet a woman came out of a shop and blamed me for driving too fast, when I was stationary before turning. I ended up giving the bike driver a 1000 baht and walking away. His bike was ok so more than he would have earned that day.

A lot of talk here but the fact remains if you hit someone from behind or get hit while trying to overtake you are in the wrong end of story.
It says hit on the back corner during,
a U turn according to the Thai version. Firstly how did they know he was Uturning. Secondly what else could they say after hitting the car, the first thing that came into their head because U turning is a normal thing for Thais but not for Farlangs.
Also poor Thaivisa one sided heading
"Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Absolute nonsense. Take a look at where the bike hit the car and you can clearly see that the car was in the process of making a turn, whether it be a right or u turn.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was driving in a Soi the other day on the way to the car wash. I had turned onto the road about 200 mts before and was surprised and noted the lack of traffic. As I indicated and slowed to turn right into the car wash a car suddenly appeared on my right overtaking. He swerved into the car wash turned around and stopped momentarily to abuse me. 

I mentioned indicators but I think that was a foreign and unknown word to this clown. 

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

How is it that so many Farangs manage to marry the very few Thais who are equally disgusted with the actions of their fellow countrymen? I hardly come across any posts where one claims that their spouse is as big a buffalo as the average Thai person.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I suspect we are the ones who have met our spouses during the course of Business ( excluding FUNNY Business ) and said Spouse has come from a Typical, Decent, Polite and Educated Thai Family.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

For the damage to be on the right rear side, the bike must have been overtaking, going in the same direction as the car. If he had been coming the other way, when he saw the car, he would have hit the left side of the vehicle, as the U-turn was performed. So, he was probably in the right hand lane, going too fast, and not paying proper attention. Had it been otherwise, he would have been able to avoid the car.

Or the bike was on the wrong side of the road.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

How far down the road were the mobile phones found?

... and the other 3 unnamed passengers without helmets ...?...

Where I come from the fault is yours if you run into the back of someone because you have not been driving with enough stopping distance so basically poor driving. Motorbike riders probably checking their Facebook profile or texting which I see everyday by Thai’s, is it any wonder they run into the back of others

Why is everyone assuming what really happened it only says the Thai on the motorbike said that

was what happened we have not heard the Farangs account which might be different to the Thais.

I have had a couple of accidents with Thai's on motorbikes who tell their side of the story to the police

and my insurance guy. Then when I say we will check my dash cam they change their story. The general rule should be 

the one who rear ends the other is deemed at fault if no witness of footage is available to collaborates any story.

Both parties are probably spinning it in their favour. 

14 minutes ago, andygrr said:

Why is everyone assuming what really happened it only says the Thai on the motorbike said that

was what happened we have not heard the Farangs account which might be different to the Thais.

I have had a couple of accidents with Thai's on motorbikes who tell their side of the story to the police

and my insurance guy. Then when I say we will check my dash cam they change their story. The general rule should be 

the one who rear ends the other is deemed at fault if no witness of footage is available to collaborates any story.

Both parties are probably spinning it in their favour. 

Could be interesting to know if the u-turn where made where a u-turn is legal, if there were any who came in the wrong direction, who had the right of way and not least if it was any alcohol involved ...

I drove in excess of 400 km yesterday, we witnessed 6 accidents, all down to the fact that Thai drivers are clueless, it's peeing down with rain so what do they do ? Drive at maximum warp, no lights on and can only just see the end of the bonnet ( Hood, for the septics) then they wonder why they end up rear ending someone, or the big trucks using route 2 don't know how to select a low gear and wonder why they jackknife !! Oh then theres the clown that does a right turn across 2 lanes and wonders why the traffic on that carriageway T bones his truck-trailer, complete and utter Jodrell bankers ????

Anyone riding a motorcycle in Thailand should ride at a safe enough speed to avoid ANYTHING unexpected.

Whether it be the car you are about to overtake making an unexpected U-turn right in front of you, or pulling out from a side junction right in front of you. (Either of which could have happened here).

...Or even a suicidal soi dog deciding to run straight in front of you.

Any of which could cause the motorcyclist to hit it or fall off, and the motorcyclist will usually come off badly.

Excessive speed, lack of attention due to playing on a phone, or poorly maintained brakes,  will all make the situation worse.

It matters little who had the legal right when you are fatally injured... As a motorcyclist you are usually going to come off worse, and you should ride accordingly. 

Archived