Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

webfact

1 minute ago, steve73 said:

Anyone riding a motorcycle in Thailand should ride at a safe enough speed to avoid ANYTHING unexpected.

Whether it be the car you are about to overtake making an unexpected U-turn right in front of you, or pulling out from a side junction right in front of you. (Either of which could have happened here).

...Or even a suicidal soi dog deciding to run straight in front of you.

Any of which could cause the motorcyclist to hit it or fall off, and the motorcyclist will usually come off badly.

Excessive speed, lack of attention due to playing on a phone, or poorly maintained brakes,  will all make the situation worse.

It matters little who had the legal right when you are fatally injured... As a motorcyclist you are usually going to come off worse, and you should ride accordingly. 

RE - Anyone riding a motorcycle in Thailand should ride at a safe enough speed to avoid ANYTHING unexpected.

You should always expect on a general basis that the unexpected can happen - especially in Thailand ...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

2pm.jpg.c93766ab05eb59cbb4235408820ba682.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

Police were called to an accident in Thepprasit Road, Pattaya just after midnight on Sunday when two Thais on a motorbike hit a car driven by a British man.

Pol Lt Aris Phuangsawai and Sawang Boriboon rescue personnel were on the scene and found a Honda City with Chonburi plates stopped in the middle of the road. It had damage to the right rear side.

The driver was named as 34 year old Samuel Matthew Stonard.

On the tarmac was a Yamaha Spark with an Ayuthaya plate and two people, a man and a woman.

They were named as Chalermphon Pongketrakarn, 35, and Khamyat Dechabun, 44.

After being given first aid at the scene they were taken to Bang Lamung Hospital.

Chalermphon said he was heading for Sukhumvit Road when the car made a sudden and unexpected U-turn. He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed.

Source: The Pattaya News

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-18
Not nonsence at all that is not proof at all as I said the bike was still in the wrong hitting the car, overtaking is always a risk so in the wrong there is too possibly speeding, not taking care, too near to the vehicle in front.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Likely the motorcycle was illegally to the side of the car and not behind the car as it should have been.   I don't know how many times we have come close to hitting motorcycles when we are making legal, normal left turns and u-turns, 'sudden' or otherwise.  It's difficult to hit the side of a car when it makes a turn if you are properly in the lane behind the car.

60 road deaths a day here in Thailand and 86% of them are from motorbike.

I rode here 13 yrs without a scratch until Oct 26 when 59 yo thai lady pulled out in front of me.

I am out of pocket 550,000 bhat after 2 surgeries.

Police put her at fault.

I told her I would take 50% and call it a day.

of course she says NO MONEY.

I told her give me at least 3000 a month, she said no money.

Police yelled at her YOU CAUSED THIS ACCIDENT, you better FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO,  if you go to court and tell judge no money...,, you are going to jail.

Waiting for the court date

The problem is Thai design of roads....every U turn is sudden - everything thing here is solved by having U turns b/c they cost no money....

the driver probably did judge the speed of the bike coming his direction incorrectly...

these accidents are caused by poor design...why not a round about or proper signaled turn lanes?

engineering controls over judgement calls every time need to be implemented....

huge problem in CM on busy roads where cars are allowed up to 90 km/h running parallel to each other and the only way to head back are u-turns...

I wasn't there to witness the accident, nor do I know anyone that was. Most likely the reporter was not a witness and is relying on second or third hand information. What seems obvious, is often not fact. The experts abound who seem to have some magical power to assign cause, blame and punishment.

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

Good to see the farang defenders warming up on here. 

Hate to break it to you all, but westerners can and do drive badly as well...

Not to mention that if you hit the vehicle in front you are driving too close eh?

If the car driver was making the U-turn from the left lane, car drivers fault if it was from the right lane the motorcycle drivers fault. Not enough information in the story to really know.

There was an article on TV a couple days ago from a Auto Insurance company and if I remember correctly.

Article said if you rearend someone your at fault. Basically

you should stay within a safe distance from car in front.

Same in US and unless you hit the rear quarter panel (not square hit) you might be able to show you weren’t in error. 

Were their any witnesss that can help your case?

Good luck! 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

you can have as many perhapses as you like - none of them are facts, and your educated guesses are based on what exact training, qualifications or education, how many RTA's have you attended or investigated 

My educated guesses are based on fact that many bikes ride around with no headlights on, because it cost money to fix, and just as many ride with baskets attached to the front, right under the headlights, and once anything is in the basket, headlights are totally blacked out.

Now please share where and how  you gained your extensive knowledge on bikes riding at night in Thailand

11 hours ago, smedly said:

still blaming the Thai ?????????

sorry my friend but if the car suddenly pulled across in front of the bike - there is simply no excuse for that, now if all bike riders want to avoid accidents - then yes they should be extra careful of idiots pulling out in front of them - doesn't mean they are at fault or to blame  

Not sure of the full and accurate facts regarding this accident. Though could the police be taking into account the statement from a very senior Thai policeman a number of years ago. He stated that in the event of a vehicle being hit from behind, it should be considered a 50/50 blame. 

While in the U.K the police would initially judge the driver of the vehicle that hit the rear of the other vehicle, to be at fault, or at least in 99% of cases.

Reading the posts here have forced me to revise my view that most farangs are good drivers, particularly all those comments that the bike might have been following too closely. The bike hit the car on the right side, towards the rear. This means that the car had already started the turn. The critical question therefore is where on the road the accident occurred. In the direction of travel or in the oncoming lane. If the latter, the bike is clearly at fault.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

There was an article on TV a couple days ago from a Auto Insurance company and if I remember correctly.

Article said if you rearend someone your at fault. Basically

you should stay within a safe distance from car in front.

Same in US and unless you hit the rear quarter panel (not square hit) you might be able to show you weren’t in error. 

Were their any witnesss that can help your case?

Good luck! 

All these road rules apply to normal people in normal countries where people actually learn how to drive on the roads, not on a football field and where people actually have to know the road rules and pass them .

Thailand is anything but normal, it is not uncommon for a car in front of you to indicate one way but turn the other(some do not actually know the difference between left and right) or to just come to a full stop with nothing in front of them to cause that or do many other unexplained and retarded and dangerous things,

However one thing which(personally pisses me off and i get vocal ) is that more than often, bikes always over take you in the direction of your turning , your lights are showing you turning, you vehicle is turning and yet they still go to overtake.

Not relevant to this case, but also the bikes with side car that has no lights or markings. All you see is a bike light and as it turns out there is also a side car, which is impossible to see in the evening,

My point being, no doubt foreigner may well be at fault, but can not rule out that he simply did not see bike coming as either headlights were off or blocked by something in the basket, just as possible he did see them, was indicating but they did what so many do, go to overtake turning vehicle in the direction of its turning.

I cannot believe a lot of the comments on here. Unless you apply the rule that you are a foreigner and if you were not in my country then the accident wouldn't have happened then its the motorcycles fault. 

Rear end collision. The motorcycle drove into the car. If you drive into something it's your fault no matter what the car was doing at the time. The car driver might have been a total idiot but its still your fault. 

Failing to maintain the correct distance.

Not paying attention.

Driving too fast. 

I would actually love to see the final outcome of this one. 

Archived