BANGKOK 22 March 2019 06:48
webfact

Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

Why is this news headlines?

No one was badly injured and I bet there were numerous accidents that night involving Thai on Thai 

Over the years I have seen cars driven by both Thai and Farlungs consistently making U Turns on Thepprasit Road. 

It is dangerous , its is lazy and it is inconsiderate when it sometimes holds up  traffic in the process.

There is no excuse for for driving in this manner.

Stop in a suitable place where you can reverse into a driveway, and then do a right turn !

Real simple! Much Safer !

46 minutes ago, smedly said:

crude sketch but says a lot

Untitled.thumb.jpg.baccaa1936b7069a7f9e5c2c98b43569.jpg

It does.

It 'says' the Thai was in an illegal lane for a motorbike to be in. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Great story, but it also stands to reason you'll see more poor thai driving than poor western driving given westerners only make up a fraction of the population. 

Ultimately the guy has u-turned into oncoming traffic and has been ploughed into by a car that had right of way. I know who I would pick to be at fault. 

If you think that the standard of driving by the local population here is on par with that in the US, UK, Australia, Japan, Korea, Germany etc etc, then that's your considered opinion.

• Like 1

The Thai rider was riding too fast in the wrong lane, drunk and unaware of his surroundings.

He had no license, no insurance and no helmet.

The Brit driver did nothing wrong. He had full insurance, a Thai driving license and was sober.

It does.

It 'says' the Thai was in an illegal lane for a motorbike to be in. 

The road laws do not say that it is illegal for a bike to be in the right lane. This is made up by cops looking for bribes.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

In today's news: Spidey tells us exactly who was at fault, based on some stuff he read in the news, and ignoring what the Police said. 

Tomorrow: Spidey tells us how he'll solve the smog problem, and how we can all make Thailand great again. 

What smog problem? Crystal clear here. Stop making it up. 555

Edited by Spidey

Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

2pm.jpg.c93766ab05eb59cbb4235408820ba682.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

Police were called to an accident in Thepprasit Road, Pattaya just after midnight on Sunday when two Thais on a motorbike hit a car driven by a British man.

Pol Lt Aris Phuangsawai and Sawang Boriboon rescue personnel were on the scene and found a Honda City with Chonburi plates stopped in the middle of the road. It had damage to the right rear side.

The driver was named as 34 year old Samuel Matthew Stonard.

On the tarmac was a Yamaha Spark with an Ayuthaya plate and two people, a man and a woman.

They were named as Chalermphon Pongketrakarn, 35, and Khamyat Dechabun, 44.

After being given first aid at the scene they were taken to Bang Lamung Hospital.

Chalermphon said he was heading for Sukhumvit Road when the car made a sudden and unexpected U-turn. He was unable to brake in time and hit the rear right side at speed.

Source: The Pattaya News

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-18
A lot of talk here but the fact remains if you hit someone from behind or get hit while trying to overtake you are in the wrong end of story.
It says hit on the back corner during,
a U turn according to the Thai version. Firstly how did they know he was Uturning. Secondly what else could they say after hitting the car, the first thing that came into their head because U turning is a normal thing for Thais but not for Farlangs.
Also poor Thaivisa one sided heading
"Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

The one in the back is always at fault, he should have kept the security distance between his vehicle and the other vehicle. Also, he might have been playing with his phone or looking around instead of being focused on the traffic.

• Like 2

How many times has this happened ...to me plenty, to friends certainly (with one police involvement after a similar collision).

Always been a kamikaze 'overtaking' exercise by a Thai on a motorcy in an awareness coma (read ploughing down the centre/offside side of the road at max speed giving no regard to any other traffic let alone anything indicating right or indeed turning right.

Something always gets lost in the translation of course - whereas 'crazy farang u turned without warning' should more correctly be pronounced 'My brain was buffeting along the tarmac long after I should really have engaged it'

• Like 1

Not saying THIS was the case in this instance BUT... on more than one occasion I have observed “Motorbike Mutts” picking their nose whilst riding, then examining the produce prior to either eating it or thoughtlessly discarding it on the road with a casual Flick of their fingers.

I hasten to point out that my observations have NOT been made whilst I was driving but as a passenger, being driven by my wife or daughter, neither of whom pick their nose and are equally as disgusted as I am at this revolting habit.

Edited by Torrens54
Alignment of script and clarification of subject matter.

One poster talked of dual carriageways but Theprasit is a normal 2 way road without formal U turns. 

If the car had turned from the very left lane to u turn the Thai would certainly have said that, but he didn't 

Anyway we only have the Thai version that the Brit was making a u turn, it is perfectly possible that he was merely turning right. 

• Thanks 2

I agree with other posts that there are many Farang drivers in this country that are poor, but many more that are very good yet still get blamed if something happens. Five years ago I was indicating and making a right turn in the centre  of Sisaket, when a motorcycle taxi came from nowhere and hit my offside. He was clearly at fault, yet a woman came out of a shop and blamed me for driving too fast, when I was stationary before turning. I ended up giving the bike driver a 1000 baht and walking away. His bike was ok so more than he would have earned that day.

• Like 1

A lot of talk here but the fact remains if you hit someone from behind or get hit while trying to overtake you are in the wrong end of story.
It says hit on the back corner during,
a U turn according to the Thai version. Firstly how did they know he was Uturning. Secondly what else could they say after hitting the car, the first thing that came into their head because U turning is a normal thing for Thais but not for Farlangs.
Also poor Thaivisa one sided heading
"Two Thais injured as Brit makes "sudden U-turn"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Absolute nonsense. Take a look at where the bike hit the car and you can clearly see that the car was in the process of making a turn, whether it be a right or u turn.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app