BANGKOK 23 March 2019 01:58
simon43

I'm moving to Phon Phisai!

I have a friend who lives in a village not far from Phon Phisai and I have passed through there a number of times. I don't see any problems with living there particularly if you have a friend living not far away. It could be quite economical I imagine. 

My only reservations would be boredom would set in after a while but that could be overcome by short term journeys to nearby locations like Nong Khai or Udon Thani. The bus services there seem good.

Hope it goes good for you. Just a suggestion if you need a western fix try https://nnrestaurant.de.tl in Nong Khai. Also there is a new friendship bridge going in at Bueng Kan.

• Like 1

I visit Nong Khai and Phonphsai fairly regularly. Apart from the market and a "well stocked" bar on the right as you enter Phonphsai, there isn't really a lot going on there. Muang Nong Khai has a lot more going for it. It's almost as far from Muang Nong Khai to Phonphsai as it is to Udon Thani.

However, I've always found the locals amongst the friendliest in Thailand.

Best of luck with the move and will be very interested to hear about your progress.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I didn't know about the new friendship bridge at Bueng Kan - that is interesting news.

The Thai highway 214 from the Chong Chom crossing from Surin to Cambodia all the way up to Bueng Kin is being taken to 4 lanes with the new friendship bridge(#5)crossing over at Bueng Kan into Lao to move commerce from China, Vietnam and Lao into Thailand and then Cambodia. The Thai government is in the mist of completing the final 12 km of the 214 through Kap Choeng to the Chong Chom Crossing. Most of the 214 up to Rai Et has been completed.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Thanks all for the comments.  Having lived in rather remote regions of Burma for a few years, I can assure you that I will not get bored.  I keep myself busy running my own little charity that donates school-books to poor Burmese students (in Burma).  When I left Burma late last year I arranged with the text-book publisher in Yangon that he would manage all the packing/posting of the books to the schools.  I receive a salary into my Burmese bank account each month and simply use the banking mobile app to transfer some of that to the publisher's bank account, and then he sends out the books that I specify to the school.

Apart from that, I'm a licenced shortwave radio ham in Thailand (and Burma).  My Canadian friend is also a radio ham (albeit not with a Thai licence).

Of course I know Nong Khai very well, having previously lived there.  Phon Phisai is close by car, no problem.  I didn't know about the new friendship bridge at Bueng Kan - that is interesting news.

I must admit that I'm not big (anymore) on drinking beer, going to bars or eating western food.  That all changed a few years ago when I lived in Burma, with only access to the beer part of the above.  I decided to get fit and healthy and changed my lifestyle completely.  So now I eat like a rabbit (veg, fruit, nuts etc).  I do like a bit of Isaan karaoke though 🙂

Not everyone is into drinking beer and woman, some of us got bored with it quite fast. When i arrived here the pay for play scene was fun and exciting. It lost its shine quite quickly with so many "normal" girls available (i was in my 30ies so easy to get girls here without paying).

So your decision is not that strange. I admit that someone like me could never live in a place like that. I need the comforts of BKK (the shopping). Its great to be near BKK and living in a gated village has its upsides. I look out at a park with (small) with green and a lot of birds squirrels in the trees. (just a small park in our village). I am happy that I am not looking at other neglected houses.

• Like 1

So your decision is not that strange.

Rob, I'm a country lad.  I don't like living in the city (I lived in Bangkok-Saladaeng when I first moved to Thailand).  I prefer rivers and hills, and there is plenty of that in north Isaan and just across the Mekong in Laos.

A quiet location also usually means quiet 'electrically', which is good for ham radio, (although I have to say that ham radio is one of the most frustrating hobbies on the planet - things rarely seem to work properly).  I feel lucky that I not have to consider anyone else's opinion as to where I live and what I do with my life - I spent too many wasted years putting my previous partner's wishes first and getting little or nothing in return!

I wouldn't consider a rural location if I didn't have a car - my trusty pick-up will be putting on many miles as I go to visit some of the rural locations, (my Canadian friend who loves photography is not allowed to drive for medical reasons, so I'm sure he'll make an excellent map-reader..).

I certainly do not intend to 'cut myself off' from the outside world or the local community.  I need to travel regularly to Burma to visit my old school and students etc.  

I have about 8 weeks to pack things up in Ranong...

Now the question is - should I find some sweet lass in Phon Phisai to look after me? 🙂

• Like 1

OP, are you the same Simon who owned hotels down South some years ago? 

I also remember reading something about legal problems?

or you being sued and had to leave Thailand or something like that?

if so, i think you have an amazing story to tell, and credit to you for remaining in a positive attitude when things dont go to plan.

anyway, wishing you much luck and success with your new move.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

should I find some sweet lass in Phon Phisai to look after me?

Hi Simon,

You wrote you can speak, write and read thai fluently so I'm sure it will not be difficult for you to find a sweet lass :tongue:💓  ;

Went there, in Phon Phisai a few weeks ago ;

I'm living in a very little village in Sakon Nakhon province , not far from Sawang Daen Din ;

You will find a change, the road 212 from Nong Khai is now a four lanes rd and drivers are crazy, driving often more than 120 km/h ..:annoyed:

131476175_P1050876_Phon_Phisai(Copy).thumb.JPG.20f2fc535ea922146f8cc66196aa8802.JPG

548472837_P1050886_Phon_Phisai(Copy).thumb.JPG.e9c737df17f97b4725bec5eae26dd46f.JPG

On 2/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, simon43 said:

So now I eat like a rabbit

Good luck Simon, though somehow moving back does not usually live up to expectations... I hope it works well for you. 

ps - rabbits are known for other behaviors too... 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, simon43 said:

Thanks all for the comments.  Having lived in rather remote regions of Burma for a few years, I can assure you that I will not get bored.  I keep myself busy running my own little charity that donates school-books to poor Burmese students (in Burma).  When I left Burma late last year I arranged with the text-book publisher in Yangon that he would manage all the packing/posting of the books to the schools.  I receive a salary into my Burmese bank account each month and simply use the banking mobile app to transfer some of that to the publisher's bank account, and then he sends out the books that I specify to the school.

Apart from that, I'm a licenced shortwave radio ham in Thailand (and Burma).  My Canadian friend is also a radio ham (albeit not with a Thai licence).

Of course I know Nong Khai very well, having previously lived there.  Phon Phisai is close by car, no problem.  I didn't know about the new friendship bridge at Bueng Kan - that is interesting news.

I must admit that I'm not big (anymore) on drinking beer, going to bars or eating western food.  That all changed a few years ago when I lived in Burma, with only access to the beer part of the above.  I decided to get fit and healthy and changed my lifestyle completely.  So now I eat like a rabbit (veg, fruit, nuts etc).  I do like a bit of Isaan karaoke though 🙂

hope the only thing you do like a rabbit is eating......555