BANGKOK 21 March 2019 10:47
Patjune

Is Hang Dong still a good place to live?

I have read on the internet and heard some people say that Hang Dong is like the best area to live in Chiang Mai.

It has nice ambiance with a mountain view. It is close to the city and amenities like schools, markets, and airport. 

But I also heard that these days Hang Dong is getting too crowded and the traffic is bad.

In my opinion, I've been to Hang Dong a couple times and saw that it is still nice and livable, there might have some traffic in rush hours but if you use the canal road it is not too bad.

How do you think about Hang Dong?

• Like 1

Its ok and easy to get around its at the better end of the CM location in my opinion but it depends on what your after🤔

No. dont come. Its terrible. Awful. (I live there and theres far too many foreigners already). Please go elsewhere. Sansai or Doi Saket sounds good for you.

P.S. Before anyone starts on me this post is merely a joke! Hang Dong is fine.

• Haha 1

Hang Dong covers a big area, from Lotus southwards about 10 kms on the Chiang Mai- Hod main road and a few kms either side. I live 5 kms east of that main road from the old Hang Dong T junction not far from the river, nice and quiet countryside but a bit far for city commutes. Nearer (but not next to) the main road may be more convenient but with more traffic. Two Big C`s on that main road, plenty of small markets around. Not many restaurants as you move eastwards. If you don`t need city amenities, good location.

• Like 1

Traffic is getting worse definitely, but it remains within good vicinity of most needs. Rents and house prices seem to be rising (rents especially) but probably because of the Chinese demand. I've lived here for 10 years but am thinking of moving- probably out further. Further away but that's progress apparently.

Hmm we bought a place just over twenty years ago this month (and seems to have trebled in value, which is nice 🙂 ) and we're very happy. At the time the facilities were minimal; Lotus (newly Tesco Lotus) was the nearest supermarket (everything else was out by the super highway on the other side of CM) although the Airport Plaza had just opened I think. Nowadays, lots of facilities - not one but TWO Big "C"s (we call them Little Big C and Big Big C), restaurants and of course the foreigner paradise Kad Farang.

Aircraft noise - never notice it unless I'm shopping in Big Big C - but then we used to live near Heathrow when Concorde came through twice a day.

I thought Hang dong was inconvenient many years ago... but if you like it, your choice. Personally I prefer a less developed area. 

• Like 1

You won't get robbed...can't say the same about a dog bite, though.  

• Haha 1

There is no best area-- it all depends on what you like and need. If you have to commute in and out of the city every day for work or school (or shopping, entertainment, etc.), you'll probably tire of the traffic, which is pretty bad on both major roads in and out of the district. But if you plan to mostly stay in Hang Dong with only the occasional jaunt into town on your own schedule, then the roads are bearable. I believe that Hang Dong has more restaurants, pubs, and shopping choices than does, for example, Mae Rim. 

• Like 1

The Hang Dong center is crowded and many residential side roads close to town have many narrow streets and older houses. Best places are off Canal Rd going up into hills. Excellent 1 rai blocks with super views and full title  and power can be had for 6/7 million baht. Many like costing homes going up everywhere. For the poor man there is some good blocks of various sizes with no title but able to live on or build. from 5/6 hundred thousand per rai. These blocks have greatly increased since the government has pledged to put in new power supplies and issuing of full title in the next 2/3 years. Under current rules for Thais blue books are not too difficult to get. If you are a long term player these can be a great investment but for cash buyers only.