Is Hang Dong still a good place to live?

Patjune

I think you need to go more granular than going by government district. 

In the map Hang Dong district is indicated (thin red line), but I think a nice area to live would be close-ish to the mountains to the West. And that can be anywhere along the area I painted red, which covers parts of Mae Rim, Muang District, Hang Dong and Sanpatong.

But then even within that area there are nice parts and not so nice parts.

Capture.PNG

And then within Hang Dong, the Nam Phrae area is nice.  That's the below area but again of course those are government borders, and North or South of there in a scenic area is still just fine.

Capture.PNG.93735c9096c6c5aa17ef954c89ab09e5.PNG

And then traffic.. that can be a concern anywhere. How bothersome that is will depend more on your lifestyle (e.g. are you taking kids to school at 7:30am every day) than on the location.  Because traffic can be horrendous coming from Mae Rim, Doi Saket, Saraphi or Sankamphaeng just the same.

3 hours ago, cmtg1 said:

Saying is hang ding still a good place to live is like saying “ do you still beat your wife “ hang dong has never been a good place to live

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I must admit I still beat my wife at chess every time - but she's not going to give up, one day she will beat me  ???? . 7,500 expat families can't be wrong (according to the Kad Farang website which of course is totally unbiased). It's not for you - I get it.

I must admit I still beat my wife at chess every time - but she's not going to give up, one day she will beat me  [emoji846] . 7,500 expat families can't be wrong (according to the Kad Farang website which of course is totally unbiased). It's not for you - I get it.

Of course 7,500 expat can be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Pratt and Whitney alternate with Rolls Royce to bring you a steady symphony from 0600 til 2400 daily.

Couple that with the 108 traffic ...

Just doesnt happen for maybe 80 plus % of the HD area... 

If your in the direct path.. Bang Waan Tan and tesco lotus zone.. sure theres noise. Even go a few 100m to mae hia market and its barely audible.. Further along canal Rd its a case of being totally unaware theres planes coming in. 

Theres plenty of valid reasons for disliking or liking one area around CM over another, traffic is an issue but it seems an issue everywhere to me. A lack of amenities or schools can be an issue that effects some but totally not others.. But making up an issue which isnt real and applying it to an entire area where its probably only 10 - 20% effected is silly. 

For me WTKs maps spell out some of the most appealing areas around the city. I like the far Mae rim / Mae sa country, but damn thats a lot further out as is Mae on which is still attractive.. I like Doi Saket out to the Mae Kuang side, which feels probably close enough. Theres appeals to each. At a different time in my life I wanted more access to towns bars and the like but suits me for now. I can even see Ban Pong and some of the early side of Samoeng rd being appealing. 

On 2/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, EL159 said:

No. dont come. Its terrible. Awful. (I live there and theres far too many foreigners already). Please go elsewhere. Sansai or Doi Saket sounds good for you.

P.S. Before anyone starts on me this post is merely a joke! Hang Dong is fine.

How would you know? You don't live there????

On 2/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, canthai55 said:

Pratt and Whitney alternate with Rolls Royce to bring you a steady symphony from 0600 til 2400 daily.

Couple that with the 108 traffic ...

Live close to HD market....RARELY hear a plane....Usually, if noticed, it's a military plane or chopper....Maybe a handful of times a year....

On 2/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, cmtg1 said:

Saying is hang ding still a good place to live is like saying “ do you still beat your wife “ hang dong has never been a good place to live

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hang Dong is a great place to live, especially because you dont live there. Stay away, grumpy old sod.

40 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I second that motion...

there has been endless documentation the durian smells like rotten eggs or dirty socks so i don't need the experience first hand. Same with living in Hang Dong, I don't need to live there to know it stinks and is filled with common and vulgar people

On 2/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, Captain 776 said:

Constant annoying airplane noise. It is the glude path when landing.

myself.... I could never live there

I'm within 1km north-east from the southern glide path you're talking about - don't notice much airplane noise, except random army helicopters and fighters curving from right above us for landing, and a few wide-body planes landing/taking off equally randomly. TBH was expecting a lot worse ????

On 2/20/2019 at 9:11 AM, bubba45 said:

I lived in HD around '06-'08 and the traffic was horrible.  Kad Falang area.  Can't imagine now.  If you want to get in and out of the city, unless it's late at night, good luck.

Rush hour traffic aside, never had a problem navigating whole 10km2 area since 2015, whether by bike, grab or own car. Seen much worse, though the traffic control (lights) are far from optimal.

3 hours ago, cmtg1 said:

there has been endless documentation the durian smells like rotten eggs or dirty socks so i don't need the experience first hand. Same with living in Hang Dong, I don't need to live there to know it stinks and is filled with common and vulgar people

Well, you clearly know "common and vulgar" very well. "Takes one to know one" as the old saying goes.

People, if you want to be perfectly honest, if you live in Thailand you somehow made a wrong turn in the road.  What in the world does this place offer?  Lousy climate, crazy locals you can't trust or really communicate with, BS immigration laws, etc etc etc. 

I'm getting ready to get out for good after 15 years and won't miss a minute of it.  Thailand to me is the most overrated country in the world for expats.  If you're here you need to rethink it.  Other than being a cheap place to live, there is nothing else of value and there are cheaper places that offer more.  Just do a little research and you will see the options of which there are many.  My best day will be when I board the plane for the last time on the way out of here. 

1 hour ago, mrmillersr said:

People, if you want to be perfectly honest, if you live in Thailand you somehow made a wrong turn in the road.  What in the world does this place offer?  Lousy climate, crazy locals you can't trust or really communicate with, BS immigration laws, etc etc etc. 

I'm getting ready to get out for good after 15 years and won't miss a minute of it.  Thailand to me is the most overrated country in the world for expats.  If you're here you need to rethink it.  Other than being a cheap place to live, there is nothing else of value and there are cheaper places that offer more.  Just do a little research and you will see the options of which there are many.  My best day will be when I board the plane for the last time on the way out of here. 

Have a great trip.

Bye.

8 hours ago, EL159 said:

Well, you clearly know "common and vulgar" very well. "Takes one to know one" as the old saying goes.

No special talent required. No need to go to Hand Dong, Hang Dong, Long Dong or anywhere else in Thailand (or the world). Just follow this forum. It is full of "common and vulgar" members, grumpy men, many who are argumentative, men who can't read or understand simple language but respond anyway and start arguing. Men who live in Thailand but bitch constantly.

But ...... there are many high quality, intelligent, not-angry members too. Some right in Chiang Mai and surrounds.

4 hours ago, neeray said:

No special talent required. No need to go to Hand Dong, Hang Dong, Long Dong or anywhere else in Thailand (or the world). Just follow this forum. It is full of "common and vulgar" members, grumpy men, many who are argumentative, men who can't read or understand simple language but respond anyway and start arguing. Men who live in Thailand but bitch constantly.

There i was thinking you were my friend, and you post that about me, im hurt.:cheesy:????????

Archived