BANGKOK 22 March 2019 00:34
webfact

6 billion baht request to Cabinet for sugarcane harvesters to reduce smog

6 billion baht request to Cabinet for sugarcane harvesters to reduce smog

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6GrI1liy6p85CHNMj10dFifX

Thailand’s Finance Ministry will seek cabinet approval for 6 billion baht, to be distributed by the state-run Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), for farmer cooperatives and community enterprises to buy sugarcane harvesting machines.

BAAC manager Mr. Apirom Sookprasert said that sugarcane farmers can’t afford the machines themselves so, in several provinces, many of them resort to burning the cane to enable harvesting, producing smog from PM2.5 dust particles. However the practice reduces the quality of the harvest and, thus, the value.

Mr. Apirom said, if approved, farmer cooperatives and community enterprises will be able to contact the BAAC to apply for loans, with at least one sugar miller acting as the guarantor, to purchase the harvesters.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/6-billion-baht-request-to-cabinet-for-sugarcane-harvesters-to-reduce-smog/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-02-18
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

so, in several provinces, many of them resort to burning the cane to enable harvesting, producing smog

I'm probably asking something too obvious here, but how does burning the cane enable harvesting?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm probably asking something too obvious here, but how does burning the cane enable harvesting?

I don't know but don't you understand that its not about solving a problem but taking a cut from those selling sugarcane harvesting machines. 

I always thought the burning happened after the harvest. (cant be 100% sure I am not an expert).

Though if they really want to solve the problem then this is of course better then banning the burning alone as that is leaving farmers without solutions. If this is workable then it would be a good 2 prong solution banning and giving a way out. 

However my lack of knowledge about the process makes it so I can't be sure this will help.

• Like 1

Why don't they collect the leaves at the same time?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't know but don't you understand that its not about solving a problem but taking a cut from those selling sugarcane harvesting machines. 

I always thought the burning happened after the harvest. (cant be 100% sure I am not an expert).

Though if they really want to solve the problem then this is of course better then banning the burning alone as that is leaving farmers without solutions. If this is workable then it would be a good 2 prong solution banning and giving a way out. 

However my lack of knowledge about the process makes it so I can't be sure this will help.

I follow your cynical approach about selling the machines.

I too assume it's the leftovers that are burnt. Does a sugarcane harvester remove the 'stubble' at the same time it harvests the sugarcane itself, thereby negating the burning requirement?

Or could the farmers still burn it in one large bonfire, as they won't have evolved a way to dispose of it?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I follow your cynical approach about selling the machines.

I too assume it's the leftovers that are burnt. Does a sugarcane harvester remove the 'stubble' at the same time it harvests the sugarcane itself, thereby negating the burning requirement?

Or could the farmers still burn it in one large bonfire, as they won't have evolved a way to dispose of it?

I wish I knew, i don't know enough about the process, but I do know you can't just ban something and not give an alternative. So maybe this is useful but on the other hand I can't see as I don't know the process.

Just banning burning (good idea) without an alternative that is not too costly time consuming (bad idea to not help with an solution) will not work.

So I get that it should be a two pronged attack of the problem however I am not sure that this solution is viable. 

But I wait for the farming experts to chip in on this one.

Here these machines for sugar beets show how it's done

• Like 1

Can't they feed the chopped sugarcane leaves to the pigs?

A step in the right direction if it is done efficiently and not too much skimming.

I only hope 6 billion baht is enough. I would feel shattered if they left themselves short!

26 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Why don't they collect the leaves at the same time?

Thank you for that video "fruitman'.

Get the B6 billion. Set up the co-ops.

• Like 2