BANGKOK 23 March 2019 18:01
webfact

6 billion baht request to Cabinet for sugarcane harvesters to reduce smog

wouldn't it be cheaper to raise fines and finance special police units who control it? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't know but don't you understand that its not about solving a problem but taking a cut from those selling sugarcane harvesting machines. 

I always thought the burning happened after the harvest. (cant be 100% sure I am not an expert).

Though if they really want to solve the problem then this is of course better then banning the burning alone as that is leaving farmers without solutions. If this is workable then it would be a good 2 prong solution banning and giving a way out. 

However my lack of knowledge about the process makes it so I can't be sure this will help.

They burn sugarcane before harvesting because the cane is too leafy to cut easily.

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

They burn sugarcane before harvesting because the cane is too leafy to cut easily.

As mentioned earlier when the buyers started policies refusing to buy any burnt cane the farmers obliged and harvested it green, sold it green, then went back to the fields and burned them afterwards anyway. If these harvesters are not the type that till the stalks back into the earth I would imagine burning will continue just as badly as before and there are going to be a lot of red faces. People need to understand farmers burn because they enjoy it, not because they have to from corn to rice to sugar to you name it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, canopy said:

It has already been observed that when the cane buyers put in policies that they would not purchase burnt cane, the Thai farmers harvested their green cane, sold it, THEN BURNT THE FIELDS AS USUAL. In light of this, how are harvesting machines going to help reduce smog?

You can't stop Thai people from burning waste. 

I've tried. 

It's like a reflex; they see something left over that's flammable, out comes a lighter and it's on fire before anyone knows what happened, be it piles of leaves (with bits of plastic mixed in of course), grass/other plants in fields, or rubbish in residential areas.

My prediction: they'll spend the 6 billion baht on these machines, some farmers will use them, some won't, and next year about this time we'll have the exact same problem with smog.  No matter the harvest method, there will still be waste left over and some idiot will set fire to it.

• Like 2