"Farexit"........FarangExit.

Leaver

An informal poll.

Will you be a Leaver or a Remainer? 

Some believe the majority on monthly income will raise the 800k and remain.

Some believe the majority on monthly income will leave.

Will many chose to overstay?

Will there be a mass exodus of foreigners over the next 12 months, or very little difference in foreigner population in Thailand?  

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the other options ? By example,

Some will move to the easy 12x 65k transfers method

Some will continue to use an Embassy Income Letter as before

I doubt people will chose overstay; a very bad idea and too easy to target them.

Nearly all will find a way to stay (IMHO)

I heard of people around me unhappy of this change, but none who said he had to leave.

Personally - and after living in Thailand with the wife and kiddie for the last 3 years - I am looking now at bringing my Thai family back to the UK. I have left already.

My worry for people retiring in Thailand now will be, how long after they see people happy about showing 800k for 6 months or whatever, will it be changed to showing it ALL year, and then raising it again and again - what is your own personal safety threshold ? How long before they change 65k income method to 80k, or beyond. 

Life in Thailand appears now only to be plannable for a year at a time, waiting on edge and with bated breath after your visa stamp for the next change of rules.

If you are lucky enough currently to be able to afford everything without an agent - good luck to you.  I'd say atleast 95% of all those I know used an agent and are stuffed under these new regulations if cannot get a new agent source. They will all have to leave or overstay - and considering nearly 50% of them have no homes in their home countries, I guess they may choose to overstay.

Would I come back to Thailand ? Maybe, but not currently more than just a holiday to visit wife's family.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, SheungWan said:

You appear to have a limited view of the range of visas available.

Not really.  There are already cases being reported on TV of the 65k monthly bank deposits not being accepted.  Probably because they think a lot of the 65k is recycled money, and they are probably right.  It was to be expect this would happen. 

A lot of Embassies not issuing the letters now.

There is the O visa which requires insurance.  I can imagine the price for an older person with pre-existing conditions.  Probably can't even qualify for insurance, so that visa is out for them.

That leaves tourist visas.  So the whole thing goes full circle with many back to living on tourist visas here and doing visa runs.  

Or, people just overstay.   

On 2/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, RichardColeman said:

Personally - and after living in Thailand with the wife and kiddie for the last 3 years - I am looking now at bringing my Thai family back to the UK. I have left already.

My worry for people retiring in Thailand now will be, how long after they see people happy about showing 800k for 6 months or whatever, will it be changed to showing it ALL year, and then raising it again and again - what is your own personal safety threshold ? How long before they change 65k income method to 80k, or beyond. 

Life in Thailand appears now only to be plannable for a year at a time, waiting on edge and with bated breath after your visa stamp for the next change of rules.

If you are lucky enough currently to be able to afford everything without an agent - good luck to you.  I'd say atleast 95% of all those I know used an agent and are stuffed under these new regulations if cannot get a new agent source. They will all have to leave or overstay - and considering nearly 50% of them have no homes in their home countries, I guess they may choose to overstay.

Would I come back to Thailand ? Maybe, but not currently more than just a holiday to visit wife's family.

That's the way I see it.  It's all about raising funding, and nothing to do with what is actually needed to live on here, or to be select with who resides here.

Just an easy way to attract foreign investment.  Make foreigners invest in their own visa.  ????

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Not really.  There are already cases being reported on TV of the 65k monthly bank deposits not being accepted.  Probably because they think a lot of the 65k is recycled money, and they are probably right.  It was to be expect this would happen. 

There is the O visa which requires insurance.  I can imagine the price for an older person with pre-existing conditions.  Probably can't even qualify for insurance, so that visa is out for them.

That leaves tourist visas.  So the whole thing goes full circle with many back to living on tourist visas here and doing visa runs.  

Non-Imm O visa does not require insurance.

O-A visa does not require insurance.

Please avoid misinformation.

Or people make a trip back to their home country, get an O-A , good for two years, no insurance, no transfers, no deposit .
Seems like the best option to me .

On 2/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, whitefarang said:

it is easy...without 800 k parked on a Thai bank , preferably mandatory 365 days a year  , people have no right to be here .  

Hello Messrs White and Leaver. New to this game eh? 

I have every right to be here, 65k per month from my UK bank. No worries.

Or maybe you forgot to click the sarcasm emoji.

In my area the exit began around 2012, many took their family's back to their home country's and many have died. In the last few years the only newcomer was a Chines gay man, but he has now moved on to Pattaya.

Its not just new visa problems that have driven people away. The main problems has been lack of money/exchange rate and poor health care for those in need.

I used to get invited to many farang weddings in the area, now its just funerals. Its all doom and gloom!

Maybe the elections, will lead to intelligent governance who would make the visa issues more encouraging, easier for the decent retiree folks, make the THB exchange rate more realistic then it's current inflated rate just to cater foreign investments of the rich and powerful ... if not, well...wait and see if the majority of foreigners start to leave ?

I think there is middle ground here. 

Many people who have Thai wives, house will go for the snowbird option. 

Move back to mythical magical farangland, but just do the 3 month winter escape to their Thai house.

Now I may be projecting my own experience here, but it's a pretty good compromise, at least for us, and no worries or hassles with immigration, worries about health insurance, money in the bank yada yada ya.

Now there are those that are trapped without a plan B....they are f****cked

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

You have no  idea what you are talking about.

1. You said a lot of embassies are no longer issuing letters----wrong. Only 4 embassies do not = USA, Britain, Australia and Denmark.   

2. You said there are cases of immigration not accepting 65,000 baht a month bank statements. That has only occurred when they have submitted it as proof of income and they have embassies that still issue the letters. If you are US, Aussie, Brit, or Danish you now have to use bank statements. If other nationality you still use a letter from your embassy.     

3. Neither the O visa or any other Thai Visa requires that you have health or life insurance to get.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:15 PM, RichardColeman said:

im not sure what luck has to do with having 800k that can be left in the bank here.

Frankly, if a person cannot find that sort of money to invest, then I have to ask what they are doing living in a foreign country anyway.

From an Englishmans point of view, having the 800k here, gives me more interest than back in the UK anyhow.

None of the changes are major in my opinion.

If you cant afford the required levels of funding, frankly, what are you doing here?

Can you knowledgable folks confirm without reservation the following, all things being compliant with immigration requirements and Thai law?

i) What happens to the THB800K you have lodged in the Thai bank in the event of your death at any stage within the actual 12 month extension period?

ii) At the moment you should be able to walk away with your hard earned cash in the 2/3 month pre application period!

iii) Under what special circumstance(s) can you withdraw funds post application without jeapordising your clean record or committing an immigration offence?

I have not seen mention of such eventualities in any immigration documentation. 

My Elite visa expires in September.  I don't have enough $ saved up to renew it or to stick 800,000 baht in a bank.

So I'm going back to the classroom. ????  I was teaching in Burma until last October and now I'll do the same in Thailand on a non-imm B visa and no need to have money in the bank. (I might return to Burma in the future, but my current online teaching adds more than 100% to my in-class salary, and the internet ain't that good in Burma anyway - I just taught a Science lesson into Naypyitaw and the internet connection was on, off, on, off, off, off... er ... you get the idea I think).

Sorted ????

On 2/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, whitefarang said:

it is easy...without 800 k parked on a Thai bank , preferably mandatory 365 days a year  , people have no right to be here .  

Ridiculous post. You have a right to be here if you're obeying the laws of immigration by having a current visa, whatever legal method you choose.

27 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

im not sure what luck has to do with having 800k that can be left in the bank here.

Frankly, if a person cannot find that sort of money to invest, then I have to ask what they are doing living in a foreign country anyway.

From an Englishmans point of view, having the 800k here, gives me more interest than back in the UK anyhow.

None of the changes are major in my opinion.

If you cant afford the required levels of funding, frankly, what are you doing here?

Jeez not another one. There should be a proviso attached to these threads - "No replies from smug gits".

26 minutes ago, Inuk said:

i) What happens to the THB800K you have lodged in the Thai bank in the event of your death at any stage within the actual 12 month extension period?

What you have specified in your Thai will. If you haven't written a will recognized in Thailand or don't have heirs legally recognized in Thailand who know about your 800k egg nest in case you die intestate, then it means you don't care about the answer does it?

Archived