"Farexit"........FarangExit.

Leaver

All of my expat friends left already over the last two years.

3 Saturation Divers. 2 now in Indonesia and 1 in Malaysia (100K USD+ salaries)

1 guy who works online in server deployment for a massive tobacco company (250k+ salary). Now in Cambodia

2 wealthy self funded early retirees now in Vietnam

3 30 something teachers. 1 in Vietnam, 1 in Taiwan and 1 in mainland China

Fed up with Thai Immigration was the reason ALL of these individuals moved on.

I want to move however I have been here a long time, have family ties, am old, and in poor disrepair...

But the compulsory health insurance requirement that will be imposed later this year will be the hammer blow that sees me off for good.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Being married to  a Thai I'll stay as long as my money's my own, even if it has to be seasoned. I will switch though to marriage visa. If they bring in compulsory medical insurance, I'l be off to PI probably.

With, or without your wife?

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think there is middle ground here. 

Many people who have Thai wives, house will go for the snowbird option. 

Move back to mythical magical farangland, but just do the 3 month winter escape to their Thai house.

Now I may be projecting my own experience here, but it's a pretty good compromise, at least for us, and no worries or hassles with immigration, worries about health insurance, money in the bank yada yada ya.

Now there are those that are trapped without a plan B....they are f****cked

Be human. Go or the 5-7 month option....

5 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

1 guy who works online in server deployment for a massive tobacco company (250k+ salary). Now in Cambodia

I want to move however I have been here a long time, have family ties, am old, and in poor disrepair...

But the compulsory health insurance requirement that will be imposed later this year will be the hammer blow that sees me off for good.

That makes no sense , Point 2 is just nonsense for obvious reasons. You sure your not stretching the truth a bit there old boy ?

In any case bit of bad luck that EVERYONE you know all bolted at the same time..terrible luck ????

53 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

im not sure what luck has to do with having 800k that can be left in the bank here.

Frankly, if a person cannot find that sort of money to invest, then I have to ask what they are doing living in a foreign country anyway.

From an Englishmans point of view, having the 800k here, gives me more interest than back in the UK anyhow.

None of the changes are major in my opinion.

If you cant afford the required levels of funding, frankly, what are you doing here?

That last sentence is a load of nonsense, there are plenty of people living here quite comfortably with a lot less than the required level of funding, and NO, I am not one of them, but unlike some posters, I am not a snob who looks down on them.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, whitefarang said:

it is easy...without 800 k parked on a Thai bank , preferably mandatory 365 days a year  , people have no right to be here .  

And , in the very near vuture, an obligatory Thai Health insurance.  There are many more attractive countries, also to me , a well-ov European.... Jumping through hoops every 3 months is NOT really my thing.

It's not all about the money, it's about veeling welcome. And that is, sadly, lacking greatly in this LOS.

Even to those ov us who do really, really not have to care about income requirements....

19 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

What compulsory health insurance requirement?

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not really.  There are already cases being reported on TV of the 65k monthly bank deposits not being accepted.  Probably because they think a lot of the 65k is recycled money, and they are probably right.  It was to be expect this would happen. 

A lot of Embassies not issuing the letters now.

There is the O visa which requires insurance.  I can imagine the price for an older person with pre-existing conditions.  Probably can't even qualify for insurance, so that visa is out for them.

That leaves tourist visas.  So the whole thing goes full circle with many back to living on tourist visas here and doing visa runs.  

Or, people just overstay.   

A lot of embassies ? 4 at the last count.

25 minutes ago, Bullie said:

And , in the very near vuture, an obligatory Thai Health insurance.  There are many more attractive countries, also to me , a well-ov European.... Jumping through hoops every 3 months is NOT really my thing.

It's not all about the money, it's about veeling welcome. And that is, sadly, lacking greatly in this LOS.

Even to those ov us who do really, really not have to care about income requirements....

Yeah, it's the frogs in slowly boiling water syndrome. Most frogs still think it's alright or have bizarrely shifted to becoming cheerleaders for even more onerous rules. Recently it's been clear they've accelerated the boiling. You'd have to be really clueless not to notice. I called this BLACK THURSDAY when the news hit and called it a historically significant shift. I'm certain that I'm correct. Huge numbers will be leaving and fewer marks will be arriving. 

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

im not sure what luck has to do with having 800k that can be left in the bank here.

Frankly, if a person cannot find that sort of money to invest, then I have to ask what they are doing living in a foreign country anyway.

From an Englishmans point of view, having the 800k here, gives me more interest than back in the UK anyhow.

If you cant afford the required levels of funding, frankly, what are you doing here?

What a twatty comment... here's hoping you go one baht under for one day and frankly then you shouldn't  be here.  condescending dribble...and since when is money in the bank for visa an investment??? 

1 hour ago, damascase said:

You are not well informed. Only 4 Embassies have stopped issuing these letters. Check the facts before you write, please.

It might only be 4 Embassies but if you look at the numbers that's a large majority of expats.

The 800k in the bank can be considered as a type of

insurance for yourself, to perhaps pay an emergency

hospital bill, or any other unforseen misfortune.

of course you would have to replace it as soon

as possible.

For the Thais, its just good housekeeping.

Many countries need to see financial evidence at borders.

Unless you are an asylum seeker entering the UK,

in which case you must eat your passport first and

you're in.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Being married to  a Thai I'll stay as long as my money's my own, even if it has to be seasoned. I will switch though to marriage visa. If they bring in compulsory medical insurance, I'l be off to PI probably.

And if you get sick in PI...........?

On 2/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, Leaver said:

Not really.  There are already cases being reported on TV of the 65k monthly bank deposits not being accepted.  Probably because they think a lot of the 65k is recycled money, and they are probably right.  It was to be expect this would happen. 

There is the O visa which requires insurance.  I can imagine the price for an older person with pre-existing conditions.  Probably can't even qualify for insurance, so that visa is out for them.

That leaves tourist visas.  So the whole thing goes full circle with many back to living on tourist visas here and doing visa runs.  

The reason the 65K monthly deposit isn't being accepted is because you can still use the last letters of income from your Embassy or Consulate until June

17 minutes ago, roger101 said:

It might only be 4 Embassies but if you look at the numbers that's a large majority of expats.

Large majority? I really doubt about that.

Main stats we have are from this list from WikiPedia.

=> UK+USA may make 1/4 of expats

(excluding China and neighbour countries)

What proportion of those using Embassy Letter? No idea.

7 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The reason the 65K monthly deposit isn't being accepted is because you can still use the last letters of income from your Embassy or Consulate until June

It's more about TI demanding letters from nationals of embassies that do still issue the letters.

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Large majority? I really doubt about that.

Main stats we have are from this list from WikiPedia.

=> UK+USA may make 1/4 of expats

(excluding China and neighbour countries)

What proportion of those using Embassy Letter? No idea.

Meaningless chart.

We're talking specifically here about people on retirement (and marriage) extensions.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:15 PM, RichardColeman said:

Personally - and after living in Thailand with the wife and kiddie for the last 3 years - I am looking now at bringing my Thai family back to the UK. I have left already.

My worry for people retiring in Thailand now will be, how long after they see people happy about showing 800k for 6 months or whatever, will it be changed to showing it ALL year, and then raising it again and again - what is your own personal safety threshold ? How long before they change 65k income method to 80k, or beyond. 

Life in Thailand appears now only to be plannable for a year at a time, waiting on edge and with bated breath after your visa stamp for the next change of rules.

If you are lucky enough currently to be able to afford everything without an agent - good luck to you.  I'd say atleast 95% of all those I know used an agent and are stuffed under these new regulations if cannot get a new agent source. They will all have to leave or overstay - and considering nearly 50% of them have no homes in their home countries, I guess they may choose to overstay.

Would I come back to Thailand ? Maybe, but not currently more than just a holiday to visit wife's family.

Anywhere but the UK

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

What you should be doing.....minding my own business. 

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

There are a little over 75,000 Americans in Thailand as expats:  them UK has more than this and the Australians a significant amount.   I the total of these 3 countries are conservatively 250,000 people and say only 2% leave that is 5,000 people which is significant and noticeable.  Some people simply  do not want to be pawns of a country in which foreigners are blamed for every wrong and the Immigration process not only is confusing but different from region to region.

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Meaningless chart.

We're talking specifically here about people on retirement (and marriage) extensions.

Meaningless? Maybe yes, maybe bot, but what other statistics can you show us

that would confirm that "a large majority of expats" can't have an embassy letter any more ?

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, Leaver said:

There about 78 embassies in Thailand. Four or five stopped the letter? Not a lot. Unless a lot more joined in recently.

For those of you that use Sirintorn, I talked to them today about the 65,000 baht and they said as long as you show the deposits and a letter from the bank verifying the account, you are good to go.

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What you have specified in your Thai will. If you haven't written a will recognized in Thailand or don't have heirs legally recognized in Thailand who know about your 800k egg nest in case you die intestate, then it means you don't care about the answer does it?

I happen to care about what happens to my wife and two boys after 15 years here, should I die. Intestate is not an option and the Thai will is in place. However we are talking about my hard earned savings and I am not a charity to the local government and never have been. I will ask the principle question AGAIN - where does it state in the Thai Immigration T&Cs of Extension of Stay, in the English language, that the total 800K deposit will be unfrozen and returned to the beneficiaries of my will automatically, without penalty, without any delay and without question? If this understanding is not in place, then all you 'holier than thou' goody two shoes are leaving yourselves wide open to abuse of your deposited funds.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, Leaver said:

What a BS. No Visa requires Insurance.

Life costs money and it gets more expensive every year you live in every country in the world. It always has since time began except during the Great Depression. Grow up.

If you want to leave then leave. If you want to stay and don’t have 800 k of Thai baht saved for use as an investment then  no country in the world wants you and you have to leave Thailand. You have to go home or go to a sh@@ country or overstay. 

In 10 years of course it will be 1.6 million baht needed in Thailand but 1.6 million baht will be worth the same as 800 baht today. And in 20 years it will be 3.2 million baht. Did you ever think the cost of living would stay the same or decline? That would be a disaster of deflation for the world and will never happen again.

Who retires without money saved and moves to a foreign country?  If you did then sorry for you but don’t blame others or the foreign country. Ask yourself why you spent all your money after you quit your job and why you failed to save money for retirement and why you left your nanny state. 

There are so many options.  I think a poll should just say 

will you do long-term Stay!

or will you Go!

Then you have some real info.

I am not going to do a long term stay again ever after more than 30 years of spending anywhere from 3 to 9 months a year in TH.  I have had at least 3 one year retirement visas.  I will come for under 30 days visa exempt and see old friends.  

My long winter stays will be elsewhere.

Archived