"Farexit"........FarangExit.

Leaver

I would say they would have to tighten up this visa in the future.  People could have a trip home, see friends and family, maybe get a medical check up, grab a A-A visa, and come back.  They could possibly make it a yearly visit.  This is cheaper, safer, and easier, than the 800k in the bank.  

Shhh ????

I’m considering one myself later this year !!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I've been doing, one snag is the 90 day border run, which is a day ruined.

second snag, 2 flights every year.

Yes, it’s not for everyone.

I do return to the uk often ( an elderly father, kids and grandkids) so to return before September 25th ( extension date) is easily doable .

Last border run, for O-A second year, I had a run out to Kanchanaburi with gf, stayed a couple of nights sightseeing and incorporated a little trip over to Myanmar in with it .

Probably do the same again, only 30 minutes wasted .

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, it’s not for everyone.

I do return to the uk often ( an elderly father, kids and grandkids) so to return before September 25th ( extension date) is easily doable .

Last border run, for O-A second year, I had a run out to Kanchanaburi with gf, stayed a couple of nights sightseeing and incorporated a little trip over to Myanmar in with it .

Probably do the same again, only 30 minutes wasted .

Thanks for the info Andy, my visa is not A-O,  it is a multi

entry for one year. I think its called a pension visa, I just

show a pension letter and they give me a visa for 125 pounds.

Thai Embassy London.

Which suits me as I only do 6 months here..and money runs

out. One year would mean 3 border runs, otherwise a lazy

mans visa.

I will not overstay under any circumstances. I have all the required funds for the monthly method, but no cost-effective way to pay bills at home and transfer over 2000 USD to BKK Bank every month. My only option would be to move to Vietnam and hope that things will change over time so I can come back. I know I am not going to be happy in "Nam, I chose Thailand for sound reasons and the ease of the retirement visa process was one of them. Now it has become a nightmare.

8 hours ago, KhunFred said:

I will not overstay under any circumstances. I have all the required funds for the monthly method, but no cost-effective way to pay bills at home and transfer over 2000 USD to BKK Bank every month. My only option would be to move to Vietnam and hope that things will change over time so I can come back. I know I am not going to be happy in "Nam, I chose Thailand for sound reasons and the ease of the retirement visa process was one of them. Now it has become a nightmare.

Why do you think you will not be happy in Vietnam? 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, madmen said:

That makes no sense , Point 2 is just nonsense for obvious reasons. You sure your not stretching the truth a bit there old boy ?

In any case bit of bad luck that EVERYONE you know all bolted at the same time..terrible luck ????

Why is it so hard for you to accept that people leave Thailand for greener pastures? 

Why is it so hard for you to accept that people leave Thailand for greener pastures? 
Wealthy friends leaving because of immigration hassles? What hassle would that be if your loaded.

Wealthy leaving because they prefer to eat Chinese food.. In china . Now that makes sense

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Because with the exception of Malaysia (Financial requirements much Higher than Thailand) there is not decent healthcare in this area. 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, BritManToo said:

I think not,

Wages and future pensions in the west are reducing and have been for the past 10 years.

Boomers (us in out 60s) can generally expect much higher retirement income than those before or after.

My friends in their 50s are expecting much less than I have.

My kids in their 30s will be lucky if they ever have a pension (state or private).

We are part of a privileged elite, that will probably never happen again.

I'm 53 and lucky enough to be looking forward to a very generous final salary (Defined Benefits) pension when I hit 60 but I do take your point & people in the same firm 5-6 years behind me were put on Defined Contributions.

Kids in their 30s need to plan for them being responsible for their own income (won't call it a pension) when they no longer work, which is exactly how it is in Singapore (what you get out depends on what you pay in which you could argue is a fairer scheme but not very social minded) 

On 2/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, talahtnut said:

Thanks for the info Andy, my visa is not A-O,  it is a multi

entry for one year. I think its called a pension visa, I just

show a pension letter and they give me a visa for 125 pounds.

Thai Embassy London.

Which suits me as I only do 6 months here..and money runs

out. One year would mean 3 border runs, otherwise a lazy

mans visa.

It sounds like you have a Non-O visa, next time you go back try for the Non-OA which will give you a 1 year stay, exit/return before the year is up & you'll get another year's stay out of it...

Requirements change all of the time, but these are the ones I have saved from http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7 if I ever decide to go down that route (visit UK 3 times per year to see family so viable option if it came to it)

• Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.
  • Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £20,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note: 

- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary. 

For Australians considering  doing an O-A ( Retirement Visa ) every 2 years , the requirements appear easier than 10 years ago when I did mine ... no  expensive Notary Public to bind the documents , no Drs Certificates ..

The following documents must be provided in 2 sets (1 original set and 1 copy set):

• Passport or travel document with minimum validity of 18 months,
  • Download and complete Retirement Visa application form
  • Must be an Australian national or permanent residents currently residing in Australia
  • A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of THB 800,000, or an income statement with a monthly salary of THB 65,000 or a deposit account plus monthly income THB 800,000 a year.
  • A police name check certificate issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application.

It is actually 1.5 to 1.8 percent if you leave the 800 k Thai baht in the account for a year. No investment in the world pays you 6 percent annually without substantial risk.

You are buying a high yield corporate or nation bond which is labeled a junk bond because you are willing to loan money to a company that is rated very low for a reason.  Or you are buying a risky REIT.

Otherwise the company would pay substantial less to borrow money. Don’t mislead people with your easy 6 percent yield per year. That does not exist in this world and has not for over 10 years. The thirty year treasury bond in USA yields 3 percent. To get double that yield you are in a risky investment. Don’t act like it is the same as a savings account or that the 6 percent is guaranteed. 

And 2% management fee. And capital gains taxes.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, madmen said:

Wealthy friends leaving because of immigration hassles? What hassle would that be if your loaded.

Wealthy leaving because they prefer to eat Chinese food.. In china . Now that makes sense

Perhaps they no longer enjoy the lifestyle Thailand offers expats, and immigration was the final straw.   Wealthy, or not, if you are not happy with the service, you don't go back, or in this case, leave.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:52 PM, Wake Up said:

It is actually 1.5 to 1.8 percent if you leave the 800 k Thai baht in the account for a year. No investment in the world pays you 6 percent annually without substantial risk.

You are buying a high yield corporate or nation bond which is labeled a junk bond because you are willing to loan money to a company that is rated very low for a reason.  Or you are buying a risky REIT.

Otherwise the company would pay substantial less to borrow money. Don’t mislead people with your easy 6 percent yield per year. That does not exist in this world and has not for over 10 years. The thirty year treasury bond in USA yields 3 percent. To get double that yield you are in a risky investment. Don’t act like it is the same as a savings account or that the 6 percent is guaranteed. 

Banks in Vietnam are paying 6% to 8% interest per annum on term deposits. 

I know you are going to call them risky, but Thailand is the country under military rule, and with a Army General rigging the election to be voted in a PM, so I consider Vietnam to be a more stable country. 

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Banks in Vietnam are paying 6% to 8% interest per annum on term deposits. 

I know you are going to call them risky, but Thailand is the country under military rule, and with a Army General rigging the election to be voted in a PM, so I consider Vietnam to be a more stable country. 

Hasn't Thailand been under some kind military rule since 1932?  Vietnam has had multiple wars and famines and the economy is but a feint blip of Thailand's.  No one else considers Vietnam to be more stable.  Maybe some more research on your part would be in order. 

Banks are not dummies.  They pay interest based on risk among other things.  More risk (currency fluctuations and other things) higher interest. 

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps they no longer enjoy the lifestyle Thailand offers expats, and immigration was the final straw.   Wealthy, or not, if you are not happy with the service, you don't go back, or in this case, leave.

Lifestyle offered is healthcare, infrastructure and Western convenience.  Nothing in the neighborhood compares.  Rich people in Vietnam go to the hospital in Singapore or Thailand.

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Hasn't Thailand been under some kind military rule since 1932?  Vietnam has had multiple wars and famines and the economy is but a feint blip of Thailand's.  No one else considers Vietnam to be more stable.  Maybe some more research on your part would be in order. 

Banks are not dummies.  They pay interest based on risk among other things.  More risk (currency fluctuations and other things) higher interest. 

You can talk Thailand up all you want, but banks in Vietnam are offering 6% to 8% interest, per annum, on term deposits. 

I think you will see Vietnam's economy grow, exponentially, over the next few years, while Thailand's economy contracts.  Not to mention Vietnam's booming tourism industry, and that's tourists with money to spend, not zero baht Chinese.

28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Lifestyle offered is healthcare, infrastructure and Western convenience.  Nothing in the neighborhood compares.  Rich people in Vietnam go to the hospital in Singapore or Thailand.

Rich expats in Thailand go back to their home country for an operation, the same as rich expats in Vietnam do. 

Have you ever been to Vietnam?  Their infrastructure is fine, and there is plenty of western convenience. I fine the infrastructure in Vietnam better than Thailand's in many respects.

What lifestyle does Thailand offer that Vietnam doesn't?  Climate is the same.  Vietnam has a long coastline of beaches.  Nightlife is similar.  Food is good.  

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Rich expats in Thailand go back to their home country for an operation, the same as rich expats in Vietnam do. 

Have you ever been to Vietnam?  Their infrastructure is fine, and there is plenty of western convenience. I fine the infrastructure in Vietnam better than Thailand's in many respects.

What lifestyle does Thailand offer that Vietnam doesn't?  Climate is the same.  Vietnam has a long coastline of beaches.  Nightlife is similar.  Food is good.  

"I fine the infrastructure in Vietnam better than Thailand's in many respects."

In what way?

On 2/19/2019 at 6:34 PM, SheungWan said:

Speculative nonsense.

Do you not believe Thai Immigration  can change the goal post at way time?

On 2/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, wgdanson said:

Hello Messrs White and Leaver. New to this game eh? 

I have every right to be here, 65k per month from my UK bank. No worries.

Or maybe you forgot to click the sarcasm emoji.

I've always been under the impression I am just a guest in the Kingdom.   

On 2/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, Jingthing said:

Not yet.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly!   ????  

23 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You can talk Thailand up all you want, but banks in Vietnam are offering 6% to 8% interest, per annum, on term deposits. 

Just last night I  watched a video of a Belgium couple who moved to Cypress into a Brit expat community.    Their timing was unfortunately disastrous.    Besides  dealing with a shady realtor/developer, they deposited their life  saving in a Cypriot bank that soon was facing collapse.

There are many examples of attractive interest rates offered in foreign countries that are fraught with challenges such as a loss of the amount deposited.

For the moment Thailand's requiring a deposit of 800K ฿ seems within reason but the last thing I'd ever do is drop all my assets in a foreign country.     Maybe good for the risk takers but certainly  not good for me.

26 minutes ago, madmen said:

"I fine the infrastructure in Vietnam better than Thailand's in many respects."

In what way?

Roads are better in Vietnam. I find the internet faster.  Electricity and water supply are stable.  Public transport is better.  I don't have young children but have been told the education system is better in Vietnam.  Law and order appears to be more fair and impartial in relation to foreigners.  Across the country, Thailand does have a higher standard of medical, but for regular check ups and the treament of minor ailments, Vietnam is fine.  I wouldn't have an operation in Thailand or Vietnam, for that matter.

Despite being Communist, I find Vietnam to be a progressive country, where Thailand just seems to be doing the "wash, rinse, repeat" routine, for decades now.  Even after yet another military coup, and new Head of Monarchy.   

On 2/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Or people make a trip back to their home country, get an O-A , good for two years, no insurance, no transfers, no deposit .
Seems like the best option to me .

Well, it is interesting how many do not do that.

Think the medical exam or probably more so the criminal background check has anything to do with it??

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Roads are better in Vietnam. I find the internet faster.  Electricity and water supply are stable.  Public transport is better.  I don't have young children but have been told the education system is better in Vietnam.  Law and order appears to be more fair and impartial in relation to foreigners.  Across the country, Thailand does have a higher standard of medical, but for regular check ups and the treament of minor ailments, Vietnam is fine.  I wouldn't have an operation in Thailand or Vietnam, for that matter. //

Seriously… :blink:

Are you member of the Tourism Authority of Vietnam ? :whistling:

20 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Just last night I  watched a video of a Belgium couple who moved to Cypress into a Brit expat community.    Their timing was unfortunately disastrous.    Besides  dealing with a shady realtor/developer, they deposited their life  saving in a Cypriot bank that soon was facing collapse.

There are many examples of attractive interest rates offered in foreign countries that are fraught with challenges such as a loss of the amount deposited.

For the moment Thailand's requiring a deposit of 800K ฿ seems within reason but the last thing I'd ever do is drop all my assets in a foreign country.     Maybe good for the risk takers but certainly  not good for me.

Anyone bringing their life savings to Thailand, or Vietnam, needs their head read.  Leave you life saving in your home country and move over living expenses. 

My point is, the same 800k turned in Vietnamese Dong, and put in a Vietnam bank, can earn 6% to 8% interest, and I don't see this as a high risk. 

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seriously… :blink:

Are you member of the Tourism Authority of Vietnam ? :whistling:

No.  I'm just not a a member of the "Thailand is the best country in the world because I have a business here, therefore I have to say it is" club.  ????

I've met people that are stanch Thailand is the best place, and when asked where else have they been in South East Asia, it turns out they haven't been anywhere else.  How can they say it's the best when they have nothing to compare it to?

Archived