"Farexit"........FarangExit.

Leaver

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

[get an O-A]

Well, it is interesting how many do not do that.

Think the medical exam or probably more so the criminal background check has anything to do with it??

The cost of the plane ticket,

and the cost of a few weeks stay in the home country,

are 2 other reasons why many don't use it

(and even more if no family left in home country)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, it is interesting how many do not do that.

Think the medical exam or probably more so the criminal background check has anything to do with it??

If they introduce the compulsory medical insurance, that will be the end for many seeking this type of visa.

44 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Across the country, Thailand does have a higher standard of medical, but for regular check ups and the treament of minor ailments, Vietnam is fine.  I wouldn't have an operation in Thailand or Vietnam, for that matter.

So where would you tell the ambulance driver to take you?

I think they were wanting to bring in a retirement visa similar to Elite....time limited

I doubt I'll see the option for 800k to retire here when my time comes...it will be a cash up-front 10-year visa.

Vietnam looking better all the time if things go pear-shaped with my Thai g/f.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Most immigration offices will I believe, if you can withdraw the money from the account instantly ( with a loss of interest obviously) then they should.
The only way is to ask at your IO, that’s what I am going to do.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Please let us know when you find out Andrew, I have no reason to go to immigration for many months, maybe you are going sooner, or even someone else that reads this may know for sure?

I have the money required in a Fixed Deposit Account from BKK Bank and it has always been accepted for the Money In the Bank route.

On the day of the extension I transfer some money (500 THB) into the Fixed Account (our Immigration Office wants that) via Internet Banking, then go to the Bank get the Bank Book updated and also get the Bank Letter then it's off to Immigration.

The Bank Book I have for the Fixed Deposit account is orange of color instead of Blueish for the Savings Account one.

No.  I'm just not a a member of the "Thailand is the best country in the world because I have a business here, therefore I have to say it is" club.  [emoji846]

I've met people that are stanch Thailand is the best place, and when asked where else have they been in South East Asia, it turns out they haven't been anywhere else.  How can they say it's the best when they have nothing to compare it to?

Yes the losers !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seriously… :blink:

Are you member of the Tourism Authority of Vietnam ? :whistling:

Just to add, both countries have their good points and bad points, but when in Vietnam, I see rapid change in the right direction, whereas in Thailand, I see no public policies, or projects, implemented to benefit anyone.

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

So where would you tell the ambulance driver to take you?

Obviously, the nearest hospital. 

Are you saying expats chose the country they retire to solely based on medical? 

I accept it can be factored into a decision, but what about all the guys in Essan and other norther provinces?  Do you think the scenario for them, as far as medical, is any better than living in Vietnam?

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If this, if that.

And that's the problem.  For example: one immigration office issues this, but not that.  Another immigration office demands this document, but not the other.  People don't know where they stand, and all they would like is some uniformity. 

Thailand is an unstable country that could become more unstable after the election.  I'm not talking civil war unstable, but changes to policies which usually leave foreigner being the meat in the sandwich. 

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Anyone bringing their life savings to Thailand, or Vietnam, needs their head read.  Leave you life saving in your home country and move over living expenses. 

My point is, the same 800k turned in Vietnamese Dong, and put in a Vietnam bank, can earn 6% to 8% interest, and I don't see this as a high risk. 

Agree.

A good super fund   ( like my current super ) back home is earning 8%.

My KBank account currently earns nothing ( yes , I can change that to 1.5% fixed )

Before I had to keep 800k for 3 months , so  I added on 300k living money for that period ,  to the seasoning  800k ( for the rest of the year ) and that totalled 1.1 million baht a year expenses        That totals $50k aud a year , calculated at 22 baht on the $1 aud.

Now I  would need 800k  untouched for 5 months ( so I will add on 500k  to live on ) , totalling 1.3 million , but also  need another 400k that I have to leave in a Thai Bank pretty much forever... Total is now 1.7 million or $77, 272  for the coming year.

I calculate a loss of  interest earnings of  around $6000 aud on the lot , or 130,000 baht - or a new Honda Forza. Not a lot ... but certainly a good holiday  away..

So , if Im being penny-wise , I suppose  its time to go home and set up an income stream I guess.

Either that or let my O-A lapse and get a new one.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:32 PM, SheungWan said:

Non-Imm O visa does not require insurance.

O-A visa does not require insurance.

Please avoid misinformation.

O - X  New VISA FOR VIP need insurance and that insurance cost me 70.000 thai baht a year i am 64

On 3/3/2019 at 11:56 PM, zaZa9 said:

Agree.

A good super fund   ( like my current super ) back home is earning 8%.

My KBank account currently earns nothing ( yes , I can change that to 1.5% fixed )

Before I had to keep 800k for 3 months , so  I added on 300k living money for that period ,  to the seasoning  800k ( for the rest of the year ) and that totalled 1.1 million baht a year expenses        That totals $50k aud a year , calculated at 22 baht on the $1 aud.

Now I  would need 800k  untouched for 5 months ( so I will add on 500k  to live on ) , totalling 1.3 million , but also  need another 400k that I have to leave in a Thai Bank pretty much forever... Total is now 1.7 million or $77, 272  for the coming year.

I calculate a loss of  interest earnings of  around $6000 aud on the lot , or 130,000 baht - or a new Honda Forza. Not a lot ... but certainly a good holiday  away..

So , if Im being penny-wise , I suppose  its time to go home and set up an income stream I guess.

Either that or let my O-A lapse and get a new one.

Or, go to a different country, which, for some reason, many on this forum do not seem to see as an option.   They really are taking the p*ss here.  I'll be leaving, but will be back, regularly, on tourist visas, and so the visa game continues, but I will not be propping up Thai banks, and therefore the Thai economy, with a cheap farang loan. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 5:25 AM, thaiboss said:

O - X  New VISA FOR VIP need insurance and that insurance cost me 70.000 thai baht a year i am 64

And what will happen when you reach an age when the company will no longer insure you? 

On 3/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, freedomnow said:

I think they were wanting to bring in a retirement visa similar to Elite....time limited

I doubt I'll see the option for 800k to retire here when my time comes...it will be a cash up-front 10-year visa.

Vietnam looking better all the time if things go pear-shaped with my Thai g/f.

I think it may be a combination of both.

Maybe $1000USD for a 1 year retirement visa, and 1 million baht in the bank. 

This way, they have a good revenue stream from retirement visas, and are still capitalizing Thai banks with foreigner's money.  At anytime Thai banks need a cash injection, just up the seasoned amount to 1.2 million, and so on.  

They would also clean up if / when they bought in compulsory health insurance for foreigners on a retirement visa, which had to be paid for when applying for the retirement visa.  No doubt such insurance would be well over market prices. 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:31 PM, Thaidream said:

....When I finally retired 5 years ago  I had worked long enough to have an excellent Social Security Income plus other pensions. However, 800K Baht to leave in a thai bank account for almost a year is not something I will ever do even though I could. I refuse to become part of a system  that refuses to recognize assets acquired in Thailand such as houses and cars or that refuses to recognize the salary of a working Thai wife. I have no problem with 65K a month  as called for in the Immigration Police Order.

If married the requirement is only 400K or 40K a month.

I agree with you re the attitude towards foreigners (and specifically, it seems, farangs) but let's remember this is the attitude of the current government not the Thai people as a whole. Many of whom do not like their government's attitudes towards a lot of things.

I don't care for my own government's attitudes towards foreigners these days, either.

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I think it may be a combination of both.

Maybe $1000USD for a 1 year retirement visa, and 1 million baht in the bank. 

This way, they have a good revenue stream from retirement visas, and are still capitalizing Thai banks with foreigner's money.  At anytime Thai banks need a cash injection, just up the seasoned amount to 1.2 million, and so on.  

They would also clean up if / when they bought in compulsory health insurance for foreigners on a retirement visa, which had to be paid for when applying for the retirement visa.  No doubt such insurance would be well over market prices. 

Philippines Retirement VISA (renewable forever), $1,400 application fee, $360/year Must have $10k in the bank (which you can use to buy property), and $1k/month pension. Includes Philippines government health (includes existing conditions) scheme and as many entries/exits as you like.

Not so bad if you obsess over health insurance.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Philippines Retirement VISA (renewable forever), $1,400 application fee, $360/year Must have $10k in the bank (which you can use to buy property), and $1k/month pension. Includes Philippines government health (includes existing conditions) scheme and as many entries/exits as you like.

Not so bad if you obsess over health insurance.

Goes to show how Thailand is taking the p*ss with their visa system. 

8 hours ago, ravip said:

Will you be a Leaver or a Remainer? 

Here at TVF I will say I am leaving and make a huge noise, but will not budge.

I'll be leaving, but I will be coming back on tourist visas as much as possible, and maybe the odd O-A.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:39 PM, marcusarelus said:

Because with the exception of Malaysia (Financial requirements much Higher than Thailand) there is not decent healthcare in this area. 

You bang on about health care a lot, and I have said I agree with you that Thailand, in general, has better health care than nearby countries, but what's the difference between an expat being diagnosed in Udon Thani, for example, and traveling to Bangkok for an operation, and an expat living in Vietnam, being diagnosed, and flying to Bangkok for an operation? 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:45 AM, ravip said:

Will you be a Leaver or a Remainer? 

Here at TVF I will say I am leaving and make a huge noise, but will not budge.

There are many, as in thousands, that will not be able to meet the new requirements.

They either budge, or overstay.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:32 PM, Sheryl said:

If married the requirement is only 400K or 40K a month.

I agree with you re the attitude towards foreigners (and specifically, it seems, farangs) but let's remember this is the attitude of the current government not the Thai people as a whole. Many of whom do not like their government's attitudes towards a lot of things.

I don't care for my own government's attitudes towards foreigners these days, either.

It's interesting that Thai political parties that have tougher policies on foreigners in Thailand do well at the polls.

I think it's fair to say there is a large portion of the Thai population that doesn't like the fact that Thailand has been colonized / occupied, for the benefit of the wealthy Thai elite. 

Archived