Honda Forza old model recall

Agusts

So I got this Forza from Pattaya and ride it back to Phuket, when I get a chance I should write about it, but generally it went okay, with the trip and the bike, I stayed in Hua Hin,  and Surat Thani for a night each, so was a fairly okay trip - about 1050km total. And yes, Bangkok traffic and that bridge construction work on route 35 sucks...

Now the bike is registered Nov 2016 on Green Book, had done 750km when I picked it up, has no Honda service book (BTW, can I get/buy another from Honda...!? they just say "No have" in Honda Big Bike shop in Pattaya,  you know that one, with blank face and no alternative or other explanation ! ). It's still on first owners name on Honda computer when I changed oil and filter before I left Pattaya, so they gave me a receipt with that name ....

I read at least 4 different recalls for Forza 2014/2015 models, fuel pump issue, some electric issue with fuse, back break house issue and leaking break fluid, and back wheel issue..., feeewww, that's all I think...!!! 

Now mostly I read these were sorted by end 2014, but although mine was registered 2016, how do I know when it was manufactured and if it needs any of above checked/replaced...? 

Most US/UK/Aus Honda websites have a page you can put VIN number and they tell you if it is recalled, but that's for imported bikes there, I can't find an equivalent for Thailand...? 

I think a call or trip to Honda maybe the only way, any othet ideas...? 

16 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Honda service book (BTW, can I get/buy another from Honda..

I read at least 4 different recalls for Forza 2014/2015 models, fuel pump issue, some electric issue with fuse, back break house issue and leaking break fluid, and back wheel issue..., feeewww, that's all I think...!!! 

Now mostly I read these were sorted by end 2014, but although mine was registered 2016, how do I know when it was manufactured and if it needs any of above checked/replaced...? 

Firstly :- just keep all recorded paperwork service receipts as history.

Secondly :- Do you have any problems with the 4 forementioned parts you list above. 

Not at all, bike going perfectly now, but the recalls are serious and a safety risk, hence the recall...

Fuel pump can cut out at speed, engine die, and on a CVT scooter that could cause loss of control.

Hydraulic break fluid can leak on disk and make it useless, again very dangerous. 

So need to be sure....

Are they the original tires ?.  If yes , there will be a date stamp on them. Will tell you when the bike was assembled. Some times , when recall work is completed , an identifying marker or paint spot will be applied to the revilent component. 

• 2 weeks later...

VIN number on Google does not return anything, and I checked the tires and they are original and the date on them are 192016 and 202016, so that is week 19 and 20 of year 2016. I went to Honda in Phuket Town and they all said their recall was for 2014 model that had some issues, so some letters went out to people on 2015 who had that model. But the problem was rectified in 2015 and the model 2016 is fine - still didn't put my VIN in the computer to check, but I really think it's fine...

However, I now have the first issue with this bike, we went to Koh Samui last week with a friend on his own bike and back to Phuket just a couple of days ago. All good except the little blue light on the LCD dash display that shows clock and trip and total KM and gas consumption went out while there. All other things and other lights on the dashboard works fine, and I can read this LCD during the day fine, but not at night. Honda said it can not be repaired... !!!? Dah... whole dash has to be changed and the dash costs 7500 baht... ! ....AND the dash has only 1 year warranty, so yours is out of warranty.

I am very disappointed, I guess if the previous owner had used it a bit more and this happened he could have fixed it under warranty, but now, not worth it really, a Honda mechanic said stick a little LED light above it for night...might work... !

I am not going to spend that money on this now, what a bad luck really, the bike is really new but this happens, I am sure if it was Chinese bike now we would shout, well, you get what you pay for and what do you expect blah blah, but here is Honda and same sh*te really... And I bet a motochino dash would cost less as well, go figure... ! ????

On 3/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, Agusts said:

However, I now have the first issue with this bike, we went to Koh Samui last week with a friend on his own bike and back to Phuket just a couple of days ago. All good except the little blue light on the LCD dash display that shows clock and trip and total KM and gas consumption went out while there. All other things and other lights on the dashboard works fine, and I can read this LCD during the day fine, but not at night. Honda said it can not be repaired... !!!? Dah... whole dash has to be changed and the dash costs 7500 baht... ! ....AND the dash has only 1 year warranty, so yours is out of warranty.

I am very disappointed, I guess if the previous owner had used it a bit more and this happened he could have fixed it under warranty, but now, not worth it really, a Honda mechanic said stick a little LED light above it for night...might work... !

I have the same problem with a Sym 400.. replacement dash about the same price as your Forza. I received the same response to replace entire dash. Not only the expense for the dash but odometer starts at 0 again..

There are videos on YouTube showing that it is possible to repair these dashboards. The led lights are called SMLed. Surface Mount Led..

Honda/Sym dealer don't want know. Much easier to sell and install new dash. I'm going to show my local tv/everything else repair shop the video I downloaded to see if he can source the correct lights. The video I have shows how to remove speedo and tach needles without breaking them and how to mark the panel for correct reinstall.

Funny I was going to post about this today, two nights ago I started the bike, Lo and Behold the blue light on the LCD has come back, I couldn't believe it, about 5 days or so after it disappeared,  I'm thinking it could be a bad connection, a dry soldering joint or something...!? It is still working...

This must not be too difficult to fix, probably need patience and some experience. For now I'm just hoping Buda will keep it going, no idea for how long, after all it's LOS...!

Good luck with yours,  I can imagine main dealers don't want to get their hands dirty,  but if you can open it yourself, maybe can take the electronic board to a electronic guy and he could fix it, let us know, good luck...

VIN number on Google does not return anything, and I checked the tires and they are original and the date on them are 192016 and 202016, so that is week 19 and 20 of year 2016. I went to Honda in Phuket Town and they all said their recall was for 2014 model that had some issues, so some letters went out to people on 2015 who had that model. But the problem was rectified in 2015 and the model 2016 is fine - still didn't put my VIN in the computer to check, but I really think it's fine...

I am not going to spend that money on this now, what a bad luck really, the bike is really new but this happens, I am sure if it was Chinese bike now we would shout, well, you get what you pay for and what do you expect blah blah, but here is Honda and same sh*te really... And I bet a motochino dash would cost less as well, go figure... ! ????

I have a Forza, but it is 2016 model, that clock you are talking about, for the KM and gas consuption, mine has been at 40.8 for nearly a year and never moved, that cannot be for Ks per Ltr surely. Anyone know?

53 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have a Forza, but it is 2016 model, that clock you are talking about, for the KM and gas consuption, mine has been at 40.8 for nearly a year and never moved, that cannot be for Ks per Ltr surely. Anyone know?

Mine is also 2016 model. When the bike is switched on, press the left button once or twice to get to Trip A display , then just press and hold the right button on dashboard,  it will reset the km/litre and Trip A km....

Every time you press left button, it cycles through total km, Trip A, Trip B, but the km/litre is always the same and it's part of Trip A display,  and calculated based on that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:24 PM, Agusts said:

Funny I was going to post about this today, two nights ago I started the bike, Lo and Behold the blue light on the LCD has come back, I couldn't believe it, about 5 days or so after it disappeared,  I'm thinking it could be a bad connection, a dry soldering joint or something...!? It is still working...

Just as a feedback on this,  when I was on a trip in Krabi last week, funny it always happens on a trip!, the blue light of LCD started to flicker,  quite a bit, but it still ends up to be ON, so far. I'm sure the time comes when it switches off eventually. This tells me the light is okay,  just a bad connection somewhere,  a patient electronic expert can probably fix it, but not Honda,  they just want to change the whole dash...

Archived