Tourist Police taking the fun out of Koh Phangan

Taco

Business owners on Koh Phangan are wondering do the Police or Government want tourists to enjoy their holidays in Koh Phangan or in Thailand in general?  The last week farang owned businesses have been targeted by tourist police arresting and closing businesses for infractions that are ridiculous.  

I am guessing 80% of the economy of Koh Phangan is driven by tourism, yet all the businesses they visit are being hassled by tourist police and basically being told to not let tourists enjoy themselves while here.  For the first time the police are saying  no alcohol sales before 11am and from 2pm to 5pm in restaurants, bars and resorts.  For those that remember when the alcohol hour rule was put into effect it was to curb young Thais from buying alcohol after they got out of school.  This rule is for retail outlets and was not applicable to tourism related restaurants, bars and resorts.  Right?  I also thought the tourist police were supposed to ensure tourists have a safe trip and are here to answer questions and settle disputes with Thai businesses when language or laws were in question.   Apparently that is not the case. 

But, here we are in the middle of high season after a dreadfully slow low season the police are arresting staff for selling a beer to a tourist in a restaurant 5 minutes before 5pm?  5 hours in jail and a 3000bt fine for what?  They come barging in asking tons of questions, targeting all Burmese staff asking if they have ever touched the cash box, if so, off to jail you go even if all your documents are in order.  What is this ashtray doing on this table?  Take that away now.  Did you let that tourist drink a beer at 4:30pm?  Jail for you.  Your bar is open past midnight and you sold beer?  Jail.  You got a licence from the tessaban to host a party and you pay off the police?  Doesn't matter they come and shut you down.  

Pack your bags travelers and off you go to a country that welcomes your tourism dollars.

But wait a minute.... Here comes a Chinese lets get the red carpet out for them right away!!!

Insane.  I don't see the Chinese employing Thais, paying their social security insurance, borrowing them money nor staying long term and supporting the entire Thai economy.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you not now there is a slow "drive whitey out" thing going on in Thailand? They invringe upon the culture, they take their women, they are loud and they stink.

Strangely enough I can see their point, coming vrom Western Europe that is now gradually being taken over by an alien culture...., leaving me and mine behind.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the no alcohol rule is NOT just for non tourist shops. If you go to BKK most of the restaurants won't serve you alcohol during the times you mention. Its a country wide thing and you were just lucky it was not applied before. 

I agree that the rules are stupid however they were always there just not enforced before. Smoking is no longer allowed so you have to adapt and tell people they can't smoke at certain places. 

Its just how it is, just adhere to the rules and you will be fine. 

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the no alcohol rule is NOT just for non tourist shops. If you go to BKK most of the restaurants won't serve you alcohol during the times you mention. Its a country wide thing and you were just lucky it was not applied before. 

I agree that the rules are stupid however they were always there just not enforced before. Smoking is no longer allowed so you have to adapt and tell people they can't smoke at certain places. 

Its just how it is, just adhere to the rules and you will be fine. 

The OP is talking about tourist areas, BKK is a different animal but even there are still many bars and shops that sell beer all day there.

I haven't been to KPG or years but if i was tourist on holiday there i would be mightily P***ed off if i couldn't get a beer on request,

My town Prachuap is a semi tourist place, here drinks available through out the day in shops(excluding 7/11 and the ilk) and restaurants.

Believe me some of the local "Beer for breakfast " thirsty gents are known to start prior to 8.00am

32 minutes ago, poohy said:

Believe me some of the local "Beer for breakfast " thirsty gents are known to start prior to 8.00am

In Siam Reap the hotel I stayed at had a 24/7 pool bar serving beer for 50c a pint.

Half the tables had joints, grinders, and bags of weed on open display with everyone partaking.

Didn't see any police the entire time I was there.

They know how to make tourists welcome!

And yes I did have beer for breakfast, the next cheapest drink was a pot of tea for $1, which wasn't bad value as you could get 4 cups from it.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I think you mean England, who can't handle their drink.

Spoken as if you've never had to put up with drunken Scottish, Welsh and Irish. England makes up the large majority of Britain anyway, and the point I'm making stands: afternoon pub closing is nothing new.

22 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Spoken as if you've never had to put up with drunken Scottish, Welsh and Irish. England makes up the large majority of Britain anyway, and the point I'm making stands: afternoon pub closing is nothing new.

I was joking ????

I've had to pity up with many drunken Scots, especially ones that drink that wine from Buckfast Abbey in England!

I remember being apprehended in London for drinking a can of beer in Trafalgar Square, what medieval law!

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I remember Haad Run beach in 1992, only two bars, Tommy's was the best. 60 baht for a bungalow near the sea. 10 baht for a noodle lunch. 

100 people at the full moon party, paradise. 

I was there too. Though I stayed at Charlie's Huts on Samui and took a boat back and forth.

Not sure about the one hundred figure.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In Siam Reap the hotel I stayed at had a 24/7 pool bar serving beer for 50c a pint.

Half the tables had joints, grinders, and bags of weed on open display with everyone partaking.

And yes I did have beer for breakfast, the next cheapest drink was a pot of tea for $1, which wasn't bad value as you could get 4 cups from it.

Sounds nice. What hotel was that? (The wife and I are thinking of going there next year.)

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Those are the laws of Thailand and they are being enforced in other parts of Thailand as well , as they have been for a number of years .

What makes you think that KPG should be exempt from the laws of Thailand ?

BUT hes speaking about tourist bars and restaurants in tourist areas  on a tourist island

To totally confound everything

My town army controlled the beer shop / bar on promenade when 90% of folk drink has a big sign about tomorrow (dry day) beer for sale "take away only" so its being sold with blessing as long as drink elsewhere 

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I like the sound of your hotel? Love to know where you stayed at in SR!

Thailand's drinking laws are draconian and yet another reason I would prefer to take my holidays elsewhere. Despite the advantage of speaking reasonable Thai, I no longer enjoy staying in Thailand.

19 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Before Tony Blair, Britain used to close pubs in the afternoon. Hardly a new concept. 

In the UK the original concept  was to stop people being drunk during WW1 hindering the war effort. Research  showed that 24 hour opening  actually cuts down on alcoholism.  Remember Friday and Saturday  nights necking as many pints before last orders. Contrary to the OP stating it was to do with schools,  the excise department introduced these hours on the recommendation from the health authority. It seems strange as most countries move forward,  Thailand being a world holiday destination moving backwards with sale restrictions. School areas and petrol service stations laws are obviously good and a move in the right direction but beach and entertainment areas it's a farce. 

Yet they allow parties to go on all night long . It was only two days ago I had a beer with my meal at 3 in the afternoon. I should imagine today being a holiday that no alcohol will be permitted unless you have some in your rented room or house.

Tourism is a business and businesses go where the money is. If Thai merchants see Chinese tourists as a money stream, they will welcome them. Some of the cruelist people I have ever seen are the people who con tourists in NYC and often there are Asian victims - imposing oneself on a tourist to carry their luggage and demanding a tip, intimidating panhandlers, people who fake accidents, and it goes on. The only limit to the scams is the perpetrators' imagination.  The police receive complaints and become overzealous. The pressure is on police if their area is getting a lot of negative publicity related to crime. 

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

In the UK the original concept  was to stop people being drunk during WW1 hindering the war effort. Research  showed that 24 hour opening  actually cuts down on alcoholism.  Remember Friday and Saturday  nights necking as many pints before last orders. Contrary to the OP stating it was to do with schools,  the excise department introduced these hours on the recommendation from the health authority. It seems strange as most countries move forward,  Thailand being a world holiday destination moving backwards with sale restrictions. School areas and petrol service stations laws are obviously good and a move in the right direction but beach and entertainment areas it's a farce. 

'Research' shows that people have cut down on the booze, eh? British cities resemble war zones these days - there are drunks everywhere. Quite often you'll find that 'research' that supports business is funded by people with vested interests, with connections to the industry. 

So to sum up the OP - Thai police should disregard the laws just because there are tourists around? Alcohol laws are enforced against tourists in all manner of countries - just because neighbouring countries don't do it, or it isn't done in some parts of the country doesn't mean the police are "hassling" business owners by deciding to enforce it. Perhaps the Police have had pressure put on them by the local governor to do something about flagrant breaches of the law and have no other choice? 

I love my beer as much as the next guy, but if your decision on whether to holiday at a spot was dependent on whether you could get a beer between 2 and 5 in a restaurant, you're probably a pretty fickle tourist

27 minutes ago, SammyT said:

So to sum up the OP - Thai police should disregard the laws just because there are tourists around? Alcohol laws are enforced against tourists in all manner of countries - just because neighbouring countries don't do it, or it isn't done in some parts of the country doesn't mean the police are "hassling" business owners by deciding to enforce it. Perhaps the Police have had pressure put on them by the local governor to do something about flagrant breaches of the law and have no other choice? 

I love my beer as much as the next guy, but if your decision on whether to holiday at a spot was dependent on whether you could get a beer between 2 and 5 in a restaurant, you're probably a pretty fickle tourist

Thai police have been disregarding this law ever since it was introduced. Lately there have been isolated instances of it being enforced. Perhaps we will find out why.

14 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I was there too. Though I stayed at Charlie's Huts on Samui and took a boat back and forth.

Not sure about the one hundred figure.

Yeah, maybe a bit more with the boats coming from Samui.

I'd love to go back, by probably a bit depressingng seeing the change.

6 minutes ago, rott said:

Thai police have been disregarding this law ever since it was introduced. Lately there have been isolated instances of it being enforced. Perhaps we will find out why.

Yes, I can not say that I ever have been refused a beer in the non-alcohol hours (aside from shops) in both Samui and KP. must be very isolated instances. 

As a side note, I see there is a discussion about making Songkran booze free this year. I find it a complete waste of government resources to discuss all these changes to the law to avoid traffic accident fatalities. It is all a wasted effort if there is zero enforcement of the existing laws. Pointless to discuss if the appropriate speed is 45 or 55 when everybody drives at 80 unpunished without ever a check around. Same goes for booze free Songkran, if you drive over the limit you are in violation anyway...

18 hours ago, dbrenn said:

A couple of days ago I was watching a documentary about a particular person and the American doing the commentary said .............he came from a small town in Scotland which is part of England. I wondered if the other 'part of England ' was Wales.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

or an alcoholic

Archived