BANGKOK 26 March 2019 17:18
Taco

Tourist Police taking the fun out of Koh Phangan

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I love my beer as much as the next guy, but if your decision on whether to holiday at a spot was dependent on whether you could get a beer between 2 and 5 in a restaurant, you're probably a pretty fickle tourist

Very true.

Cheaper flights have led to more and more of our vile lager louts coming to Thailand in recent years, giving all of us a bad reputation. It's good if closing pubs for just three hours discourages them and they go somewhere else.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poohy said:

BUT hes speaking about tourist bars and restaurants in tourist areas  on a tourist island

To totally confound everything

My town army controlled the beer shop / bar on promenade when 90% of folk drink has a big sign about tomorrow (dry day) beer for sale "take away only" so its being sold with blessing as long as drink elsewhere 

Tourist bars and restaurants have to comply with Thai law , as do islands .

Do you think that Thai islands and tourists shouldnt have to abide by Thai law ? 

Alcohol restrictions should just be for Thais ?

I live in CM and we went through the same situation a few years ago , they began by enforcing the 2 AM bar closures , that then moved to midnight .

The 24 hour mom&pop shops selling alcohol were also forced to comply , as were hotels selling alcohol after hours .  

23 hours ago, Taco said:

For the first time the police are saying  no alcohol sales before 11am and from 2pm to 5pm in restaurants, bars and resorts.  For those that remember when the alcohol hour rule was put into effect it was to curb young Thais from buying alcohol after they got out of school.  This rule is for retail outlets and was not applicable to tourism related restaurants, bars and resorts.  Right?

Applies to bars too.. just unenforced.. 

They did the same in Chiang Mai for ages.. 

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Contrary to the OP stating it was to do with schools,  the excise department introduced these hours on the recommendation from the health authority.

I remember it coming in during the Purachai social order campaign period.. For sure it was stated its reasoning was to prevent youth buying alcohol from schools.. Part of why it had a morning and afternoon timing. 

Of course selling alcohol to minors was illegal before that, so whats another law going to do. 

Good god what a load of entitled tosh.  You are actually trying to tell people that Thai law should not apply to you because you are not Thai, unbelievable.  As for you not seeing Chinese people employing Thai's, etc, I suggest you actually get out of your tiny Ko Phangan bubble for a while and then you might just notice that actually Chinese immigrants are one of the largest employer groups in the country, they own the largest businesses in Thailand <deleted>.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2019 at 1:00 PM, Taco said:

For those that remember when the alcohol hour rule was put into effect it was to curb young Thais from buying alcohol after they got out of school.  This rule is for retail outlets and was not applicable to tourism related restaurants, bars and resorts.  Right? 

I dont think so , I seem to recall that initially they tried to close down all establishments selling alcohol within 500 meters of an educational building or a Wat , that law wasnt put in place .

The alcohol selling restrictions were always the law , its just now they enforce them  

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yeah, maybe a bit more with the boats coming from Samui.

I'd love to go back, by probably a bit depressingng seeing the change.

Yep.

Back then, far more chances to meet and make friends with the locals, even as a short term tourist. I still know the Thai people I met on the way to the party nearly twenty seven years ago.

Those were the days when locals would stop and give you a lift, if you were making your way from place to place on the island.

Can't imagine that happens often now. So I don't think that you'd be impressed with the changes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont think so , I seem to recall that initially they tried to close down all establishments selling alcohol within 500 meters of an educational building or a Wat , that law wasnt put in place .

The alcohol selling restrictions were always the law , its just now they enforce them  

Utter tripe, they only enforce them when there is an ulterior motive.

In 20 years I've NEVER been in a bar/restaurant  where this is has happened, all over Thailand (approx 5,000 afternoons of drinks with lunch/friends etc)

NEWSFLASH - People like a few drinks in the afternoon whilst on holiday.

NEWSFLASH - After lunch tourists fancy an extra drink or two,  relaxing in the sun

NEWSFLASH - A lot of expats enjoy a drink in the afternoon.

Edited by Sticky Wicket
  • Like 1

What's all this 'it's the law, you should know before you move'. You must adhere to the law.

Nobody does

The law is an ass, especially here. 

It has absolutely no relevance to daily life and is mainly used as an opening gambit re bribes etc

2 hours ago, rott said:

Same for Scotland who additionally used to close at ten. And all day Sunday.

Never closed at 10 in my drinking career.

10 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Utter tripe, they only enforce them when there is an ulterior motive.

In 20 years I've NEVER been in a bar/restaurant  where this is has happened, all over Thailand (approx 5,000 afternoons of drinks with lunch/friends etc)

NEWSFLASH - People like a few drinks in the afternoon whilst on holiday.

NEWSFLASH - After lunch tourists fancy an extra drink or two,  relaxing in the sun

NEWSFLASH - A lot of expats enjoy a drink in the afternoon.

NEWS FLASH - a lot of expats are alcoholics 🙂

On 2/18/2019 at 7:00 AM, Taco said:

For the first time the police are saying  no alcohol sales before 11am and from 2pm to 5pm in restaurants, bars and resorts.

That is the what the Law says, be happy that they don't also say »and no alcohol sale after Midnight«, because that's also the Law...:whistling:

You also need to follow "no alcohol" when elections, even foreigners and tourists cannot vote, and no alcohol today, because it's Buddha Day, even many foreigners might not be Buddhists...😉

• Like 1