Tourist Police taking the fun out of Koh Phangan

Taco

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, rott said:

Thai police have been disregarding this law ever since it was introduced. Lately there have been isolated instances of it being enforced. Perhaps we will find out why.

Thai police are very good at disregarding laws.

This is not Tourist Police business anyway.  Round my way it is Disease Control people interfering with sensible business regarding alcohol.

Soon we will be explaining to people they can not buy alcohol because it is voting day for Thai people. Voters must not accept bribes.......you would think the army attending each polling station might be able to prevent this?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, but I did not say that high end places do not support the local economy at all, just that backpackers support it more. Upmarket hotels tend to have seasonal staff, these are often immigrants or staff recruited in other parts of the country, and so the money leaves the area, while small places tend to have family working for them and so the money stays locally.

so what u are saying is that the 200 baht backpacker supports the economy more than the 2000 baht tourist?  ok, but i dont think the thais are buying your story

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

so what u are saying is that the 200 baht backpacker supports the economy more than the 2000 baht tourist?  ok, but i dont think the thais are buying your story

No, I was not pretending that a 2000 baht tourist was high end but thanks for the laughs, I guess there are actually some 2000 baht tourists out there who feel superior to backpackers, hilarious stuff!

On 2/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, BritManToo said:

In Siam Reap the hotel I stayed at had a 24/7 pool bar serving beer for 50c a pint.

Half the tables had joints, grinders, and bags of weed on open display with everyone partaking.

Didn't see any police the entire time I was there.

They know how to make tourists welcome!

And yes I did have beer for breakfast, the next cheapest drink was a pot of tea for $1, which wasn't bad value as you could get 4 cups from it.

It's been a long time since I was in Cambodia but beer for 50c a pint?? I think it was kind of dollar in most place when I was there 10-15 years back

On 2/25/2019 at 7:47 AM, yogavnture said:

its what is. its reality.  the thais prefer rich tourists at higher end resorts spending money for a 10 day holiday. they dont like drunken cheap tourists in a 200 baht hut.  sorry. thats the reality. and yes , rich tourists that are well dressed dont want to see drunken stupor full moon people.  its all about money.

You are suggesting there is an overall vision and that a coalition of stakeholders (TAT, locally powerful political dynasty, national government, local police, local business owners, local population) can coalesce around that plan to the point of taking concerted action.

My experience of Thailand is that there is no way such an effort could take place and the evolution of Koh Phangan will be much more of an organic and chaotic development (along the lines of what you alluded to with respect to the development of Samui) in which the various stakeholders alternate between idleness and then frantic money and land grabs before lapsing back into idleness again. The lack of planning and corrupt practices will lead to a mish mash of flytipping juxtaposed with high end resort just down the road from 200 Baht dorms like everywhere else in Thailand.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:32 PM, Kieran00001 said:

No, I was not pretending that a 2000 baht tourist was high end but thanks for the laughs, I guess there are actually some 2000 baht tourists out there who feel superior to backpackers, hilarious stuff!

they dont feel superior. they just dont want to see them.  to be honest i was young and stupid once. but as we get older we just dont want to see wrecklessness.   alot of people dont step foot on kpy because of that full moon party!

On 2/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, BritManToo said:

I decide,

It's not OK to harm other people.

What I do to me is nobodies business but mine. 

Hear hear!

Altho my xwives say my very existence harms other people, if not the entire universe.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Every Hotel, guesthouse, restaurant (serving beer) and bar in CM pays off the cops or they're shut down.

That was a few years ago , when they paid to stay open late and the Police expected money in return for not raiding them , since the Army took over, thats all changed .

Why pay money to stay open late when they cannot stay open late ?

Archived