How often were you asked to show your passport?

OneMoreFarang

How often were you asked to show your passport?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems in the moment lots of people are leaving or thinking about leaving because of the tighter visa regulations and checks.

But how often did any official ever check your passport?

I live in Bangkok for longer than 20 years and I don't remember that any official ever asked me to see my passport somewhere on the street or in a bar or shopping center or anywhere.

I have a valid visa and I don't suggest people should live here without valid visa. But how high is the risk? It seems to me very low.

Well I have only been here for about 7 months and leaving soon, so I dont "live" here, but I had to shew my Passport on the Phone once, to get into the Winter Fair at the Palce.

Thats the only time I have ever had to show my passport in 25 years.

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in Bangkok for longer than 20 years and I don't remember that any official ever asked me to see my passport somewhere on the street or in a bar or shopping center or anywher

Same as me, 20 years in Bangkok. And I've only seen other foreigners being stopped at one spot, Sukhumvit road between soi 20 and 22 where i twice witnessed tourists/backpackers being stopped and had their bags searched.

I never carry my passport with me, unless I know I'll need it for ID, and have never been asked for it other than when withdrawing money from a bank, in an immigration office, buying a car, or somewhere where an official ID is required (eq registering at a hospital).

I have been fingerprinted, photographed, breathalysed, piss tested, questioned by the village headman. But apart from the standard immigration/bank/government/cell phone stuff nobody has asked me for my passport.

I am asked for my driving licence at least once a week.

When I first started typing I was sure the the Thai authority's had never bothered me. But thinking about it maybe they think I am a  trying to form a peoples army and take control of the state.  

in 20 years never been asked to show my passport except to IO, bank and my apartment owner. i've never met anyone who's had a different experience and i've never seen a foreigner being asked to show their passport.

i never understand why some people seem to think this is such a big issue...?

have never carried my passport around, but now have photos of relevant pages on my phone, just in case. but i'd put money on never being asked.

10 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I have been fingerprinted, photographed, breathalysed, piss tested, questioned by the village headman. But apart from the standard immigration/bank/government/cell phone stuff nobody has asked me for my passport.

I am asked for my driving licence at least once a week.

When I first started typing I was sure the the Thai authority's had never bothered me. But thinking about it maybe they think I am a  trying to form a peoples army and take control of the state.  

Fingerprinted: Never in Thailand, but have in Malaysia and Singapore.

Photographed: For driver's licence and pink ID card.

Breathalysed: Never in Thailand, but have a number of times at random checkpoints in Western countries.

Piss tested: Never, anywhere.

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

NEVER ! in 12 years and only ever been stopped by a policeman once in 12 yrs.(traffic)

I have to admit the police stopped me at lest 100 times over the years, mostly for not driving on the left lane with by bike.

But none of these police officers ever asked me for my passport. I would remember, because normally I don't take my passport with me.

I never carry my passport unless I’m flying.

In Bangkok at Fortune Town on Asoke at Rama 9 

I get my passport and TM card photographed and 

lamenated for 30 baht. Next to Big Camera, second floor.

Only had to show it for phone and SIM card purchase.

Also carry a photo of passport in my smartphone.

Not counting when opening bank accounts or withdrawing cash over the counter, etc. and of course excluding Immigration, I would say probably about three times that I can remember at traffic stops in the last 20 plus years.  This was before I had my Thai Driving license. 

As many people above, never been asked for my passport by policemen.

I always carry my Thai Driving Licence as ID.

Only my bank insists to see my passport for some operations. (good :wink:)

2 exceptions :

- I needed to show my passport to Army several times, at check-points of big busses driving not far the Cambodian border (Trat, Sa Kaeo, Poi Pet, …)

- a few cases of Police + Immigration Officers doing checking late at night (early morning?) in some Pattaya's discos. Cases of farangs (or foreigners) being arrested and brought to the Police Station for not showing their passport.

As a rule, my DL is enough when I stay in my area but I now take my Passport when traveling in Thailand (Bangkok, Isaan,...). Hotels insist for it more than before, and if unlucky to get checked you could be in serious trouble if at hundreds of km of your passport...

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Insurance, tax and roadworthy check are the only places that never ask me for any ID, just the vehicle book.

I was asked for sight of my passport when I took out accident insurance, not sure that it was really required, I suspect that it was just second nature to ask, never asked for my car insurance or the annual roadworthy glance.

Stopped while driving in Phuket 30 years ago. Was asked for passport but didn't have it with me. Offered my UK driving licence, which was accepted. Never been asked since, except for Immigration, banking, acquiring yellow book and then ID card. 

Once in thirty three years that is other than bank, hotel, border, immigration, I had a car crash and had show my international driving license which was with my passport.

The police were called, I'd been hit up the rear by a bus, no injuries but lots of arguing, the bus driver was told that he was in the wrong and the bus company had to pay the repairs.

Archived