"I'm So Proud Of My Country"

Chicago Bull

18 minutes ago, samsensam said:

just sounds like an excuse for thai bashing from a 'new' member.

suggest this topic is closed.

I'm sorry if you think I am bashing Thailand but I am not.

This is a point that arose when I attended a dinner over the weekend with a team of young Thai girls, when one of them all of a sudden stood up and exclaimed that she loved her country so much, before raising her glass to cheers with the entire table..

It just got me thinking, what does she love?

This isn't an isolated incident, it has happened many times before in a similar setting.

Edited by Chicago Bull

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes they invented red bull

I am sure they would claim the "Bum gun" also

Hang on a minute wasn't Red bull invented by an Austrian bloke , so maybe only the Bum gun!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

I am sure they would claim the "Bum gun" also

Hang on a minute wasn't Red bull invented by an Austrian bloke , so maybe only the Bum gun!

no the so called bum gun was in vented in France and later in Italy in the 16 or 17 hundreds 

and red bull actually was invented in Thailand with the backing of a Swiss guy

12 minutes ago, Chicago Bull said:

I'm sorry if you think I am bashing Thailand but I am not.

This is a point that arose when I attended a dinner over the weekend with a team of young Thai girls, when one of them all of a sudden stood up and exclaimed that she loved her country so much, before raising her glass to cheers with the entire table..

It just got me thinking, what does she love?

This isn't an isolated incident, it has happened many times before in a similar setting.

I you had any sense yourself you would have asked her.

When this girl said what she said, I immediately (internally) tried to find some redeeming qualities about Thailand so I could agree with her - but I found myself struggling.

At the moment there seems to be nothing here that resembles the word pride. Everything points to the contrary. I hope that in the future I myself can become proud of Thailand too, but I wont hold my breath.

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

They have an ancient heritage with rich traditions/celebrations over 1,000 years old....

They've never been conquered (with an asterisk).....

They're buoyed by the Buddhist religion.....

They're an independent people that have a fierce pride in their own.....

They are a largely optimistic & opportunistic society....

They appreciate the smaller things life brings without over thinking the negatives....They are not materialists - avoiding that trap.....As a society they value their heritage but don't take things over seriously.....

We can't apply our western mores & logic to them - and that's a good thing.....

The OP seems to be from the US which is a largely culture-less society due to many factors, of which one is it's relative youth country wise.....

I, for one, appreciate Thailand and it's people & culture....

Blooming heck all of the above , although these are mostly intangibles but we can add RedBull (with the backing of a swiss guy)

They are a largely optimistic & opportunistic society.... this applies to certain areas of Dudley, best not leave your car parked there

11 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

no the so called bum gun was in vented in France and later in Italy in the 16 or 17 hundreds 

and red bull actually was invented in Thailand with the backing of a Swiss guy

Austrian.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago Bull said:

Wasn't this due to the fact that Britain & France decided that Thailand should be left neutral to allow free trade between Europe & Indochina?

Not really something to be proud about when your fate was decided by two other nations.

Might as toss in a few other counties & alliances (with Thailand) in there which, in effect, created a standoff allowing the country to remain free....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago Bull said:

Wasn't this due to the fact that Britain & France decided that Thailand should be left neutral to allow free trade between Europe & Indochina?

Not really something to be proud about when your fate was decided by two other nations.

asterisks indeed!* 

The Burmese and Lao had few results back in the days!

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

I think you will find that it was the Japanese. Rebadged as Kraeting Daeng then translated buy the Austrian to Red Bull.

AARGH No! conflicting information

• Bum Gun NO Null points
  • the big one  is   So did they invent Red Bull?????

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of their traditions were created in the early 1900's by the dictator Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram.

Anybody who wants to know #howcomeitsthewayitis needs to read his entry in Wikipedia as a starting point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago Bull said:

They are proud of the negotiating skills of their former king, who was instrumental in this decision.

• Like 2

From birth to the grave Thais are thought that their country is the best and places like Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are beneath them. They cannot understand nor will they ever accept the fact that in this Asean Community they are now a part off Thailand comes off fourth best. With their inability to understand that Thailand is a third world country is it any wonder why they treat Expats the way they do?? We are white skin devils.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lipflipper said:

From birth to the grave Thais are thought that their country is the best and places like Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are beneath them. They cannot understand nor will they ever accept the fact that in this Asean Community they are now a part off Thailand comes off fourth best. With their inability to understand that Thailand is a third world country is it any wonder why they treat Expats the way they do?? We are white skin devils.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thailand is a developing country. I have been treated very well, as an expat over the last 3 decades. 

• Thanks 1