"I'm So Proud Of My Country"

Chicago Bull

18 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

They appreciate the smaller things life brings without over thinking the negatives....They are not materialists

are you talking about the same people???? Thais not materialists, hummm that's a new one,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicago Bull said:

Wasn't this due to the fact that Britain & France decided that Thailand should be left neutral to allow free trade between Europe & Indochina?

Not really something to be proud about when your fate was decided by two other nations.

correct and he forgot to mention they were not invaded because they surrendered

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

and carabao & pad thai (or something like that)...but we are helping marketing here555

Yes, Pad Thai was invented by "Paw" Piboonsongkram around 1932, when it was hip to be Nationalistic in many European countries that he hung out in. The Germans got the VW, Thailand Pad Thai(the food of the people). The last foreign diplomat to meet Hitler was the Thai ambassador. 

34 minutes ago, poohy said:

Hang on a minute wasn't Red bull invented by an Austrian bloke , so maybe only the Bum gun!

Exactly opposite.

Krating Daeng (Red Gaur) existed for long in Thailand among many similar.

Mr. Red Bull, (now billionaire) Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz discovered it on a Thailand visit.

Made a contract to bring a "defused" version to Austria/Europe.

The original import was available under the counter in Thai/Asia shops before.

28 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

with the backing of a Swiss guy

No idea which Swiss guy would have to do with it?

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

From birth to the grave Thais are thought that their country is the best and places like Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are beneath them. They cannot understand nor will they ever accept the fact that in this Asean Community they are now a part off Thailand comes off fourth best. With their inability to understand that Thailand is a third world country is it any wonder why they treat Expats the way they do?? We are white skin devils.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

heard the same thing about the chinese and they relate to Thailand as their province

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I think you will find that it was the Japanese. Rebadged as Kraeting Daeng then translated buy the Austrian to Red Bull.

The "Energy Drink" as such is a Japanese concept. (They also developed Methamphetamine from Amphetamine)

Krataeng Daeng is an original product.

1 minute ago, Greyhat said:

My country has contributed several world altering technologies, but here I am in Thailand. Really makes you think.. It's almost as if it has no bearing on anything at all. At least Thais can say their country looks after their own, wish I could.

Not as many as mine, Scotland. Per head, the most inventions, like TV, phone, whisky, and many more.

Yet, I have left to be in Thailand. It must have something going for it.

OP, you should think positively, does wonders for your mental well being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Pattaya, Patpong, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, the hallmarks of Thai culture.

"I'm so proud of my county

Is a phrase I hear regularly from many young Thais (mostly between the ages of 20 & 40)."

"My questions is, what are these people so proud about?" 

I rather doubt the supposed comment from a Thai as in the OP is in reference to Pattaya, Patpong, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy ....

Thais' have a lot to be proud about, same as any country, and they don't need to explain it or justify it to anybody.

Mods would you please consider closing this thread.

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Chicago Bull said:

I'm sorry if you think I am bashing Thailand but I am not.

This is a point that arose when I attended a dinner over the weekend with a team of young Thai girls, when one of them all of a sudden stood up and exclaimed that she loved her country so much, before raising her glass to cheers with the entire table..

It just got me thinking, what does she love?

This isn't an isolated incident, it has happened many times before in a similar setting.

It is nothing less than Indoctrination.

They don't know why..........they just know.

It is a consequence of the fundamental nature of the Socio-Political order.

Which was established in 1938/39, but subsequently re-branded and re-launched (with a different advertising campaign) just after WW2.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

It is a result of the fundamental nature of the Socio-Political order.

Which was established in 1938/39, but subsequently re-branded and re-launched (with a different advertising campaign) just after WW2.

It's good when people know what they are talking about.

Kinda restores my faith in humanity.

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It is a result of the fundamental nature of the Socio-Political order.

That reminds me of some inhabitants of a couple of islands in the north of Europe. Some of them want to take back control. 555

1 hour ago, Chicago Bull said:

I'm sorry if you think I am bashing Thailand but I am not.

This is a point that arose when I attended a dinner over the weekend with a team of young Thai girls, when one of them all of a sudden stood up and exclaimed that she loved her country so much, before raising her glass to cheers with the entire table..

It just got me thinking, what does she love?

This isn't an isolated incident, it has happened many times before in a similar setting.

So what.

And what's your next world shattering post?  'It's hot.'

"This isn't an isolated incident, it has happened many times before in a similar setting."

So what is the setting, does the reason for the dinner connect to the girl making this statement? And are you conveniently not mentioning this point?

I've been here 30+ years and I have never once seen someone stand up and exclaim that she "...loved her country so much..."

Are there not many many other countries which have regular ceremonial events to show pride in their country? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 1

Just for the record, I am NOT bashing Thailand.

I am simply seeking to find out what it is that the vast majority of younger Thais are so proud about being born here. As they cannot seem to give me a distinct answer, I thought I would lay the question to TV members who have (presumably) lived here a long time and could perhaps shed some light on it.

9 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Lets see now, it's a corrupt hierarchical society where respect is given upwards to your betters, or rather the richer more powerful ones, with age in there as well. Road deaths worst in the world, wealth disparity between rich and poor the worst in the world, or about. The education system is woefully inadequate and turns out people taught what to think rather than how to think. The place is riddled with rubbish millions of soi dogs and the TV is just another instrument to keep the populace from thinking too much. Most of it's culture is actually imports from the Khmer, India and China and even Laos.

Not a great deal to be proud of, unless you have been brainwashed to be.

This seems to be a rather accurate set of statements. Thank you for your input, the truth is definitely out there!

8 minutes ago, Chicago Bull said:

I am simply seeking to find out what it is that the vast majority of younger Thais are so proud about being born here.

Well, why do you choose to live here?

I choose to live in Bangkok because it's a fantastic city, loads of great things to do and see, great public transportation better than any I've seen in Western countries (Especially the US, ewww) delicious food, nice people, affordable accommodation.. and so on.. There's some things to be proud of.

I guarantee if they offered OP citizenship he'd be saluting the flag and singing the national anthem for the privilege in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1