BANGKOK 25 March 2019 04:22
damworker2

Tipping golf caddy

21 minutes ago, damworker2 said:

300 thanks

And please keep as an "average". If the caddy is unhelpful or just new and not very knowledgable please tip accordingly - IE a bit lower.

An inflammatory post has been removed. 

For tipping the caddy, tip the same as the caddy fee or slightly lower if the caddy services are not too good. 

In a restaurant, i do not penalize the server if the food is crap.  Same on the golf course.  All my caddies get the same, but depending whether i'm riding a buggy or not.  

She's pulling a trolley for the 7km = 340 baht.  If she's driving the buggy = 300 baht.  Only up would be an eagle or H-I-O. 

Really, the caddy has no influence on my golf game. 

• Like 1

Are caddys compulsory ? Can you pull your own clubs ?

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Are caddys compulsory ? Can you pull your own clubs ?

Yes they are compulsory, at least on all courses around Pattaya.

And some courses have made it mandatory to have a buggy, even if you want to walk.

And you can't share them, one to a buggy so the caddy is your driver.

Try walking at courses that will allow it, after 3 or 4 holes the caddy will be lagging behind with a bad leg or "tired" hoping you will shell out for a cart.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I look at the recommended tip that all the clubs here will either publish, or tell me if I ask. I then pay about 50% more, e.g. 350 baht on an 18 hole recommended tip of 240 baht. That's because I was a caddie myself as a kid. I got the tightarses and the generous ones as well, so I know the feeling.

I very rarely get a poor caddie. I usually cut them some slack, as it's mostly inexperience. I'll also make low-key suggestions on doing things better. All I ask is they keep up with me, hand me the club I ask for, and stand in the correct position when I play my shot.

IMHO many golfers here would not know the difference between a good and bad caddie. There are some really good ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metisdead said:

An inflammatory post has been removed. 

For tipping the caddy, tip the same as the caddy fee or slightly lower if the caddy services are not too good. 

Yes you can if you want. However some courses now the caddy fee is 450 baht. The minimum caddy fee around Pattaya (other than Navy) is 330 baht with most 350.

It is meant to be a tip after all :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes you can if you want. However some courses now the caddy fee is 450 baht. The minimum caddy fee around Pattaya (other than Navy) is 330 baht with most 350.

It is meant to be a tip after all :thumbsup:

Cheaper up North. The upfront green fee paid includes a caddy component. There are a couple of courses where management keeps the fee component which is supposed to go to the caddy, so they are solely reliant on the tip for income. Bastards.

Usual recommended tip in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai is 120/240 baht, 9/18 holes. 300 at Santiburi.

58 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

10% of your winnings, unless your name is Kucher.

With my current game the caddy would have to pay me :wink:

A good point though is that if you play badly you should not take it out on the caddy tip as long as she does her job to an acceptable standard.

I do however find it irritating if a caddy starts asking for 20/50 baht if you get a birdie - especially when her read on the putt wasn't even correct! :w00t: