Army chief tells media to listen to “Nak Paendin” ultra-nationalist song

webfact

18 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

The sad reality is that Thailand gets governed by people whose only claim is that they control thousands of people who will do what they are told when they are told. Forgetting that is these very people plus the rest of the population that provide the means for them to strut about .

If the army IS reduced my any amount , the Chief will not suffer a salary loss ( he is not paid per capita ) just that the expensive and in my view completely unnecessary toys may not be brought , they have enough wasteful enterprises and if they enter politics the Army personnel should lose their Military salaries . A man or woman cannot have TWO bosses and WORK efficiently. But as this is Thailand WORK  is an oxymoron

He may not get a direct salary loss but without the budget to buy the toys he's very likely to get an indirect one!

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I'm told by another TV member that there was a few, didn't know that and never read it before. I will stand corrected if true. 

The Thai army distinguished themselves in Laos helping defend against the southern push of the Vietcong and Vietnamese Army. That came after the Vietnamese booted out the French at Dien Ben Phu. On all accounts the Thais gave substantial support to the CIA in the supposedly covert "Secret War". After all they had good reason to fight  as Thailand itself was at risk from the Vietnamese.

As it turned out the Vietnamese were stopped about half way down and Laos was ultimately carpet bombed to kingdom come by the Americans. More bombs were dropped on Laos than on Germany and Japan combined in the Second World War. Well done America; unexploded bombs are still killing innocent people in Laos.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Did not know Thailand was at war.  Other than just a lot gum flapping, I would say nothing good is happening in the country.  Its moribund state remains as it has since military rule. 

Other than border skirmishes and insurgents, Thailand has not fought any major war for 600+ years (except a 5 hour token gesture during the Japanese invasion in 1941) also I do not think any other country would actually want Thailand. Certainly it does not justify the outrageous spending by the military, 227 billion baht for 2019, 3 submarines ordered, 1 aircraft carrier in mothballs (no aircraft capable of T/O or landings) just to mention a few billion in wasted revenue. I have been here for 29 years (1990) and seen 3 coup d'etat in that time, not one of them have come close to this regimes overspending. No wonder they are muting farangs must have and leave their 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank for the whole year of the retirement extension.

I seem to remember I think it was after Thaksin was deposed that there were more generals in the Thai army than in the US army. The army in Thailand is nothing more than a glorified masonic lodge. Theres probably a masonic wai as well.

This odious individual keeps "popping up" lately and probably with good reason. He is close friends with the previous coup leader and now self appointed Prime Minister Prayut who trying to legitimize himself by holding a rigged election. 

The repetitive appearances of this General is more likely a not too subtle warning that if the correct result is not achieved he will initiate another coup to make sure his old mate remains top banana.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I'm told by another TV member that there was a few, didn't know that and never read it before. I will stand corrected if true. 

"By all accounts, the Thai troops fought well. From their base at Bear Cat Camp in Bien Hoa Province, they clashed with the Viet Cong in medium and small engagements along the vital National Route 15 linking the port of Vung Tau to areas surrounding Saigon. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/opinion/thailand-vietnam-war.html

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Making critics enemies of the state dangerous, say analysts, as politicians told to listen to ultra-rightist song.

The song, titled “Nak Phaendin”, means “burden to the country” and says one who is “worthless” or an “enemy of the nation” should be eliminated.

The song was composed in 1975 by an Army officer and was part of the grand propaganda used against the communist movement in Thailand.

The song features lyrics that condemn any act of treason, including ungratefulness to the monarchy, instigating conflict among Thais and treachery.

In the notorious student massacre on October 6, 1976 at Thammasat University, “Nak Phaendin” was frequently played to justify the crackdown as well as to boost the courage of right-wingers who had engaged in elimination of the alleged threat.

Nothing needs to be further said on the recent history of this wonderful country and the damage that the Men in Green have done.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

An old uncle of the wife said said to me years ago he was a Panther in South Vietnam with Americans. I never really gave it much thought until today and checked online Wikipedia. Sadly the old guy passed away a couple of years ago now. 

In October 1967 the Royal Thai Volunteer Regiment (Queen's Cobras) was sent to Camp Bearcat at Bien Hoa, to fight alongside the Americans, Australians, New Zealanders and South Vietnamese. In 1968 the Cobras were replaced by the Royal Thai Army Expeditionary Division ("Black Panthers").[3] About 40,000 Thai military would serve in South Vietnam, with 351 killed in action and 1,358 wounded.[2][4][5] The last Thai ground forces were withdrawn from South Vietnam on 5 February, 1972

13 hours ago, bill1369 said:

Actually, Thais did participate with the US in Vietnam fighting. See: In Buddha's Company, Thai Soldiers in the Vietnam War by Richard Ruth.

And not only Vietnam. There were probably 20,000 or more Thai soldiers in Laos serving alongside AAM and the Hmong. 

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

After the election, he may be "booted" out of his camp!

I think it is more likely that after the election assorted politicians will find themselves in his camp, listening to various ultra-nationalist songs for a sustained period. I believe it is known as attitude adjustment.

21 hours ago, ocddave said:

Do they get medals for every coup they are part of, or from killing their own citizens? I don't believe I have ever heard of Thailand going to war, so the medals are either obtained from suppressing citizens, or maybe they pick them up from the Amulet shop, and pin them on their own chest.

servicemen from Siam or Thailand served in France in 1918 and the country also took part in the peace conference in 1919 and their is a memorial to those who died in France in Bangkok

Great family of corrupt highway robbers! Brain washed, fascist scoundrels - here’s a bit about the father

.....But now, authorities, legislators, tax people and activists in Thailand are looking into the supposed assets of the late Gen Sunthorn Kongsompong — now estimated at up to 6 billion baht (136.4 million U.S. dollars) – to figure out if he amassed ill- gotten wealth during his lifetime.

Sunthorn, who died in 1999, successfully led a coup to oust the government of Chatichai Choonhavan and cited widespread corruption in it as the reason......

They have been stealing from the Thai people for generations - funny everything in Thailand seems to be about face - these disgusting people don’t even have a face they can lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, yardrunner said:

servicemen from Siam or Thailand served in France in 1918 and the country also took part in the peace conference in 1919 and their is a memorial to those who died in France in Bangkok

So this current set of Generals were fighting in 1918-1919?!?! Damn, I owe them an apology, they are Gods among men!!!

18 hours ago, webfact said:

stressed that the Army had made enormous contributions to the country. Besides protecting the national sovereignty, they had also played a role in other areas such as disaster relief and drugs control, he said. 

If you military-types don't bugger off soon, there may not be much left for you lot to protect. You can continue to protect sovereignty, and participate in disaster relief and drug control and whatever games you fancy, and leave the country's administration to people who know how to do that (if these people existed), like most other countries.

22 hours ago, rott said:

You sure about that Mr P? Long time ago I met a guy (friend of the then BIL) who I was told had been with the Thai army in Vietnam.

Will see if anyone remembers.

Certainly, I became friends with members of the Queens "Cobra Division" in Saigon in 1967-69, I think they were protecting a construction battalion in Central SVN?

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, Pilotman said:

The Thais fought in parts of Laos during the Vietnam war, not in Vietnam itself.  They were actually declared neutrals during the war. They were fighting a communist backed insurgency on their own borders, that had little to do with the war the US were fighting.  However, they did host the US Air Force in country, but not officially. 

You are quite wrong as I can personally attest to- FACT- In 1969, the Thai government deployed more than 12,000 combat troops, which included Queen’s Cobras and Black Panther Division of Royal Army Volunteer Force, to counter the guerilla forces in the South Vietnam. They withdrew from South Vietnam in April 1972

In total, 351 Thai troops were killed in action while some 1,358 men wounded in the Vietnam War.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, Pilotman said:

The Thais fought in parts of Laos during the Vietnam war, not in Vietnam itself.  They were actually declared neutrals during the war. They were fighting a communist backed insurgency on their own borders, that had little to do with the war the US were fighting.  However, they did host the US Air Force in country, but not officially. 

This is complete rubbish. Thailand was an active participant on the ground in South Vietnam: many Thai soldiers were injured or killed.

Archived