Where to keep surplus funds?

I’m currently applying for my first extension of stay based up marriage, although we have been married for 9 years, I have always had either a work based extension or savannakhet ME visa.

I currently have around 1M baht in a single savings account with an ATM card - the same account that I use to buy goods from the internet, which is slightly worrying. I asked the bank for another account without an atm card to store surplus funds - Sorry, sir, cannot.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to approach the bank? it seems if I’m on a retirement visa I can have as many accounts as I want, but by marriage, I’m restricted to one account. Seems absurd, considering all the upheaval in the retirement visa and seasoning rules.

29 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I currently have around 1M baht in a single savings account with an ATM card - the same account that I use to buy goods from the internet, which is slightly worrying. I asked the bank for another account without an atm card to store surplus funds - Sorry, sir, cannot.

Which bank is that? All my banks here let me have more than one account, for exactly the reason you describe.

37 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Which bank is that? All my banks here let me have more than one account, for exactly the reason you describe.

Kasikorn - but the rules are from bank of Thailand - marriage visa = one account. 

I used to have bank of Bangkok, thEy refused to allow me to use internet banking, and when I lost my atm card I had to fly to Bkk to a get a replacement. So .. 

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

I have multiple accounts at Bangkok Bank for the reason the OP is trying to open more than one account.  I didn't get any resistance....I'm on a retirement extension of stay.

Yup! Retirement visa = no problems, as many as you want. 

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Kasikorn - but the rules are from bank of Thailand - marriage visa = one account. 

I used to have bank of Bangkok, thEy refused to allow me to use internet banking, and when I lost my atm card I had to fly to Bkk to a get a replacement. So .. 

I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt there is such a rule from the Bank of Thailand.  Expect your branch made that up...trying to deflect the real reason...with the real reason they just didn't want to give you a second account....maybe because they thought "this farang" may be up to no good.

When banks consider the type of visa they are really just looking for a "long term" visa for a year...not whether it's a retirement, marriage, or some other variation of a 1 year/long stay visa.

I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt there is such a rule from the Bank of Thailand.  Expect your branch made that up...trying to deflect the real reason...with the real reason they just didn't want to give you a second account....maybe because they thought "this farang" may be up to no good.

When banks consider the type of visa they are really just looking for a "long term" visa for a year...not whether it's a retirement, marriage, or some other variation of a 1 year/long stay visa.
Kasikorn were funny with me 2 years ago when I closed a USD account, the lady was adamant that new rules in place, and coming, meant I would not be able to reopen and only one account at a time would be available. This was under a marriage visa at the time

Unsure if the rules here are clear to all the workers as it seems very hit and miss....

OP take a walk branch to branch, they all differ...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Why not give them a call yourself? In the first instance I called on an unrelated thing and just asked, “no sorry sir, marriage visa is limited to one account, retired or WP as many as you like”

So far I have asked at 2 branches even suggesting to the manager it’s his discretion to wether or not he can open another account for me. Both said, bank of Thailand rules, sorry. 

I called Kasikorn today, with the intention of getting a fixed deposit account, no, marriage visas are restricted to one account, but apply to the bank in person and the manager can apply for special consideration on your behalf.

I will just need to keep trucking round the branches. 

Give them a call .. and can I ask the number of accounts you have? What bank are they with? Might be helpful.  

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

i was on marriage visa ( non O me ) before (not extension of stay)

i do have a yellow housebook and can freely open bank accounts, have phone in my name, car registered, anything i want.

i have multiple bank accounts opened , without the yellow book i just needed my spouse to sign for using her adress.

many banks ask for a work permit, because it has a adres in it on your name, but my 2 last BKK accounts where opened on my yellow housebook only.

i have 4 Bangkok bank accounts , + Ktb and Kasikorn.

I do have internet capable visa cards, but only debit as i don't want credit cards.

i just replenish my accounts monthly by cash payments or with an connected paypall account.

"rules are from bank of Thailand ?" never heard of such...

Archived