Jomtien

Harveyboy

Hello there.. Now is it just me or are the ever Increasing numbers of Russians Increasing.. Doesn't seem that way so. Much in Pattaya Why what's the draw to Jomtien do they get better deals.. Just seems to be a bit overkill Russian car rent.. Food.. Massage parlour..  Ect ect many restos  now don't even display English menus Thai.. Normal and Russian   just wondering.. 

Actually 5 years ago there were many more Russians than there are now. Many of them stopped coming here when the rouble last half its value against the THB. But the numbers are increasing again slowly.

The main numbers these days are the Chinese but they dont seem to like Jomtien very much (thankfully).

Yes, the Russians get better deals, somtam is almost free if you just show your USSR Id. Also if they are retired, they get a free condo! 

What kind of deals do you think they are getting? Long time, at Short time price? Just like everyone from the cold countries, they want a little sun!

Was taken aback my 1st time to Jomtien Beach many years ago at all the business signs in Russian.  I am not sure, but I suspect the numbers may have fallen off a bit in recent years due to weakness of Russian money verses the strong baht.  About midway between Jomtien Beach and Pattaya seems to be their favorite gathering place...Pratumnak Hill.  Russians are known to clear the Pattaya sidewalks when they walk with their scowling face and bully posture...

Thats funny you should mention that LOL!  That was one of the first things I noticed when I first came to jomtien for a brief stay last year.  On my second visit I rented a AirBNB place in Pratumnak from a Russian (very nice guy).  I liked to eat at the night market nearby and it seemed that almost every food vendor was Russian, not Thai.  Walking down the beach, all I'd hear was Russian being spoken, not Thai, and certainly not English.  Very odd feeling for sure, but I love the Jomtien/Pratumnak area.  I'm guessing they are there for economic reasons.  My AirBNB landlord owns several condos in Pratumnak and has never even visited the Kingdom.

33 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Is Russian currency actually going up against the baht?  Thought the baht has been bullish against world currencies.

No to the question.

Since the big crash in 2014 not really recovered.

A slight high in May 2017 at 0.61 Baht.

Now at 0.47, close to the 10 year low of 0.44.

(ten year high 1.16)

Read today: THB second strongest currency in 2018 after the Japanese Yen.

But recently even beating the Yen.

Terrible not only for tourists.

34 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Naklua is just as bad.  They're everywhere.

Don't say bad before they are replaced by Chinese!

They might not be the ever smiling types and not very open to other nationals but they don't really bother you/run you over.

36 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Is Russian currency actually going up against the baht?  Thought the baht has been bullish against world currencies.

Seems like more Germans then Russians there.

Besides the scowls, I have not understood why so many complain about Russians.  Seems like many come as families and my experience is they kind of stay to themselves and are not generally really loud like some of the other visitors. Just my observation could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems like more Germans then Russians there.

And decreasing too.

I know this area quite well (not a German but German language).

Still some well known places in Soi 33 and 31 though.

Some places on the better part of Naklua rd. had to shutdown due to increasing rent.

Others moved away as far as the dark side.

And the Euro is in the same bad position (about 35, close to 10 year low).

And isn't this armada of stinking coaches up and down Naklua rd., turning in to the beach side, full of Chinese?

3 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

Thats funny you should mention that LOL!  That was one of the first things I noticed when I first came to jomtien for a brief stay last year.  On my second visit I rented a AirBNB place in Pratumnak from a Russian (very nice guy).  I liked to eat at the night market nearby and it seemed that almost every food vendor was Russian, not Thai.  Walking down the beach, all I'd hear was Russian being spoken, not Thai, and certainly not English.  Very odd feeling for sure, but I love the Jomtien/Pratumnak area.  I'm guessing they are there for economic reasons.  My AirBNB landlord owns several condos in Pratumnak and has never even visited the Kingdom.

Ya might be getting quite a few thai expats in Canggu soon. Thats if they can learn how to pronounce the place, (Chan goo? )been there many times, probs with Bali is the traffic though.  

I've read that it's become very hard for Russians to maintain the condos they bought prior to the crash because Russia imposed very strict controls on the Ruble making it very difficult for them to transfer money for maintenance and other fees.  Apparently one of the reason so many condos are on the market in Jomtien. 

What pisses me of is that now and then some Russian looking person steps up to me  mumbles something in probably a Russia language and then they seem disappointed that i’am not a Russian..

very awkward and humiliating every time that happens because i believe i look much more sophisticated then some Russia siberian  tourist.

18 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Why is the baht so strong and bullish? Is the Thai economy really booming so much the past year or so?

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Why is the baht so strong and bullish? Is the Thai economy really booming so much the past year or so?

Let's face it, Asia/SE ASIA is where the economic action is. That's where the economic growth takes place. Compared to this, european economies are "declining economies".
Thailang grows at a 4% clip, has high foreigh currency reserves, offers higher interest rates. No wonder the Bht is strenghtening. Exept for some short-lived technical corrections, the BHT is likely to countinue to gain.
- Only if Thai-Exports should start to weaken, the BOT may step in with "corrective-actions" to (temporarely) cap the Bht.

Jomtien and the Russians? The Ruble is nearing rock-bottom. Those that survived the Ruble meltdown are in it for the long haul. It's the Chinese that are buying the condo's nowadays. (15'000 last year in BKK alone).
Present Jomtien residents may want to learn some basic Mandarin and massage parlors may want to take their MACCAXX singns down and replace them with Chinese *"='^:-;

On 2/18/2019 at 4:32 PM, Briggsy said:

There have been significant numbers of Russians in Pattaya / Jomtien for the last 15 years. Have you just noticed? Where have you been?

Yes I know don't see them as much as hear them.. I did say ever Increasing yep been there a long time 

On 2/18/2019 at 4:32 PM, Briggsy said:

There have been significant numbers of Russians in Pattaya / Jomtien for the last 15 years. Have you just noticed? Where have you been?

On 2/18/2019 at 4:42 PM, KittenKong said:

Actually 5 years ago there were many more Russians than there are now. Many of them stopped coming here when the rouble last half its value against the THB. But the numbers are increasing again slowly.

The main numbers these days are the Chinese but they dont seem to like Jomtien very much (thankfully).

Yes seen the number start to increase.. Perhaps getting their rubles out a bit easier 

On 2/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, dddave said:

I've read that it's become very hard for Russians to maintain the condos they bought prior to the crash because Russia imposed very strict controls on the Ruble making it very difficult for them to transfer money for maintenance and other fees.  Apparently one of the reason so many condos are on the market in Jomtien. 

Makes you wonder what visas they have. 

They are a generally unsmiling, surly lot, in Jomtien at least, even the kids look miserable. I can see why my Grandparents left Russia for the UK in 1910 and possible why I'm such a miserable bugger in the mornings.   

On 2/19/2019 at 4:11 AM, Destiny1990 said:

What pisses me of is that now and then some Russian looking person steps up to me  mumbles something in probably a Russia language and then they seem disappointed that i’am not a Russian..

very awkward and humiliating every time that happens because i believe i look much more sophisticated then some Russia siberian  tourist.

This has happened to me several times. Once in Tokyo Narita airport, once in Bangkok airport, a couple of times in a 7-11 and once on the street. Just recently, a Russian who knows my neighbourhood friends joined us at our table. I asked if I look Russian. "No," was his immediate reply. I have French and Dutch heritage. 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:39 PM, AlexCanada said:

On 2/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, KhunBENQ said:

And isn't this armada of stinking coaches up and down Naklua rd., turning in to the beach side, full of Chinese?

Thanks for the warnings. I was recently considering migrating to Naklua if I return to Pattaya in the next couple of months. But the reports of North Road construction, T21 traffic and increasingly busy Naklua Road are putting me off this idea. I used to like the area years ago but never lived there. Back to plan A.

56 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Thanks for the warnings. I was recently considering migrating to Naklua if I return to Pattaya in the next couple of months. But the reports of North Road construction, T21 traffic and increasingly busy Naklua Road are putting me off this idea. I used to like the area years ago but never lived there. Back to plan A.

Yes was up there this week traffic to T21 choking 

They certainly are unfriendly and don't seem to like westerners but apart from that seem family orientated and untroublesome. I'd rather be in a songthaew with them than some of my tattooed loud-mouthed Brit compatriots. 
Yes and they are so much fun to sit on when they predictably fail to yield space on the baht buses.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived