After Brexit will the pound rise?

ivor bigun

35 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

So what,she said nothing ,just we should discuss things naked, ,as for her body ,well a brazilian and a boob lift would not go amiss,but apart from that waste of time.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The guy who is talking to the nude lady, has he never heard of a comb?

and before anyone asks, I did not notice the uncombed hair before I had a good ogle

at the boobies.????:cheesy:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cable is probably oversold at the moment due to Brexit uncertainty, although this is conjecture as no one knows for sure.  Almost certainly, banks and currency traders will have been short-selling, pushing it down as far as it can go and profiting from the down trend.  It may not have reached the bottom yet.

Once there is a clean Brexit, renewed interest may step in and start buying, when, once again, the traders will likely get on board and start to push the pound upwards again, taking profits all the way.  There is every possibility that after Brexit, the pound will strengthen to some degree.  The market will tell us by how much.

As to Mr Robertson468's post earlier, Italy is indeed in a technical recession and Germany will go into a technical recession if it has a second quarter of negative growth. It is more of an economic definition than anything, but it will be giving everyone pause . . .

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Of course, once we are free of the EUSSR the Pound will soar. Happy days ahead.

The only problem is we will never be allowed to leave.

Your of a very small minority who thinks that it will rise once we leave..you need ro look again at what happened after the vote.

8 hours ago, Proboscis said:

If you take it that Brexit even with an agreement, means that the UK will be leaving the largest trade agreement (with the largest economy in the world), this will impact on the economy. An impacted economy usually affects the currency of that economy as it reduces the demand for that currency on the FX markets.

But will still trade with the EU on the same scale as now and also have the benefit to trade with other economies that are currently restricted, so on your presumption the pound should soar to highs not seen in 10 years

Simple answer: yes it will rise. After periods of uncertainty, confidence returns. The price of oil before the first Gulf invasion long long ago screamed up, as soon as the troops went in, it fell back to previous sensible price level. USD plummeted during US election results showing Trump winning everything. As soon as it was over (starting immediately after the result was known) the Dollar went back up again in the space of a few days (or even less, I forget, I lost a packet on it, I'm an awful currency dabbler). 

18 hours ago, jimn said:

Another referendum and the UK votes to stay in the pound will soar.

If there was another referendum and the UK voted to stay in, the likelihood is that it would be a similar margin of victory as the vote to leave enjoyed in 2016. I don't think anyone is predicting a landslide victory, whichever way it goes.

In this situation, it's hard to imagine that overturning of the 2016 vote, in favour of this new vote, would be without considerable political and possibly legal challenge. The idea that things will seamlessly swing around 180 and the country will harmoniously simply go back to staying in the EU, seems a bit unlikely to me. After all, leavers will simply point to the fact that the 2016 vote outcome was never enacted, so why should a new vote be respected. And then there is the issue of whether or not the EU will allow us to simply go back to how things were before. It's quite possible that they won't. Then what? Leavers of course will argue that people didn't know what they were voting for, if the EU has us return under different terms.

I just don't think your prediction of the pound soaring in the event of a new vote to remain, takes into account how incredibly messy and uncertain things will still be. It's not just like waving a wand and the last three years gets forgotten about.

2 minutes ago, rixalex said:

If there was another referendum and the UK voted to stay in, the likelihood is that it would be a similar margin of victory as the vote to leave enjoyed in 2016. I don't think anyone is predicting a landslide victory, whichever way it goes.

In this situation, it's hard to imagine that overturning of the 2016 vote, in favour of this new vote, would be without considerable political and possibly legal challenge. The idea that things will seamlessly swing around 180 and the country will harmoniously simply go back to staying in the EU, seems a bit unlikely to me. After all, leavers will simply point to the fact that the 2016 vote outcome was never enacted, so why should a new vote be respected. And then there is the issue of whether or not the EU will allow us to simply go back to how things were before. It's quite possible that they won't. Then what? Leavers of course will argue that people didn't know what they were voting for, if the EU has us return under different terms.

I just don't think your prediction of the pound soaring in the event of a new vote to remain, takes into account how incredibly messy and uncertain things will still be. It's not just like waving a wand and the last three years gets forgotten about.

It would take a bit longer for the Pound to recover if there is a hard Brexit, but it's certain. The problem as you say and as I said above is only uncertainty concerning trade and finance markets (the latter being a case of the tail wagging the dog ????). 

Everyone looks at the effect that Brexit will have on the U.K.,

but fail to look at how our exit will affect the E.U.as it works

both ways,

There are 27 members of the E.U.,168 other countries in the World,

many of them who are doing O.K. without been in it,many whom are

doing a lot better than E.U.  Viva Brexit.

regards Worgeordie

17 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

both ways,

regards Worgeordie

This guy may have been in the driving seat during Greece's economic embarrassment. This explains how Germany engineered it using the Euro, and how they drive down every poor and potentially failing country in the EU. The speech is only 30 minutes, the second half is the Q&A. Our decision not to join the economic union was one of the best ever made by UK politicians.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:38 AM, Tengu said:

Is the British Pound based on the price of silver? If so, what is the exchange rate?

If not, the question makes no sense to me, or at least begs the question: Rise against what currency?

Exactly, any exchange rate is a relationship between 2 separate entities. Brexit has weakened confidence in the pound so it appears lower against most other currencies. That decline would be exaggerated when related to to a currency that had strengthened, such as the Thai Baht.

Only time will tell if confidence will return to the UK post brexit, still too much uncertainty for market stability at the moment.

As it is a 2 way street we can only hope for movement on the other side. If Trump were to cause the dollar to tank the pound would look better, and as the Thais have significant dollar reserves the baht would weaken, the brexiteers would be cock a hoop and the UK would be no better off.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

both ways,

regards Worgeordie

But 5th biggest economy should be doing better than 191 of the 195 but after brexit it will not be,might make the top 100 if its lucky.

5 hours ago, Speedhump said:

This guy may have been in the driving seat during Greece's economic embarrassment. This explains how Germany engineered it using the Euro, and how they drive down every poor and potentially failing country in the EU. The speech is only 30 minutes, the second half is the Q&A. Our decision not to join the economic union was one of the best ever made by UK politicians.

Total rubbish..greece fiddled the books to join and when in went berserk with over spending knowing the EU would come to its rescue...they lived the dream on the credit card...100% the fault of greeks..100% nothing to do with germany..you are paranoid about germany like many on here

Just now, bomber said:

Total rubbish..greece fiddled the books to join and then in went berserk with over spending knowing the EU would come to its rescue...they lived the dream on the credit card...100% the fault of greeks..100% nothing to do with germany..you are paranoid about germany like many on here

9 hours ago, rixalex said:

Currency markets rise and fall on rumour. The only movement up there has been in recent months was when there was talk of a delay or even a new referendum. No one knows what will happen but I do know that any good news towards close ties with the EU will have a positive effect on the pound.

4 hours ago, bomber said:

Total rubbish..greece fiddled the books to join and then in went berserk with over spending knowing the EU would come to its rescue...they lived the dream on the credit card...100% the fault of greeks..100% nothing to do with germany..you are paranoid about germany like many on here...

13 hours ago, jimn said:

Currency markets rise and fall on rumour. The only movement up there has been in recent months was when there was talk of a delay or even a new referendum. No one knows what will happen but I do know that any good news towards close ties with the EU will have a positive effect on the pound.

I would be interested to see proof that the pound has risen thanks to talk of a new referendum, as you assert.

It seems highly dubious to me because what affects currency and the markets more than almost anything else, is uncertainty, and if there is to be another referendum (or a delay) the only thing that would mean for certain, is that the uncertainty will continue even longer.

12 hours ago, Justin Side said:

Project Fear?

You mean realists who know what they are talking about.

UK is finished.

Right wing zealots (Moglodites) have screwed the UK and they don't give a toss because they have so much money it does not affect them.

What the same "realists" who said Britain's economy would tank after we voted out in 2016. Last month the UK had the biggest tax surplus on record and our GDP growth/inflation is on a par with Europe.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, bomber said:

Total rubbish..greece fiddled the books to join and when in went berserk with over spending knowing the EU would come to its rescue...they lived the dream on the credit card...100% the fault of greeks..100% nothing to do with germany..you are paranoid about germany like many on here

I can tell you didn't even watch the speech. Sad that you shoot off your mouth without facts. Watch it. The EU were desperate for E. European countries to join, its a geopolitical thing, do you understand it? They'd love in Turkey too if it wasn't such a human rights hot potato. So they ignored any serious deep financial investigation into Greek finances, it was a choice made by the EU, for which they blamed Greek lies afterwards. Now they are even accepting worse financial basket cases into the EU. Yes, Greeks personally were irresponsible to accept the extra lending that banks offered them when EU cash (from German banks) started being offered to Greek financial institutions. It was like drug dealers offering kiddies free heroin.

And anyway, being worried about German domination of the EU (and so Europe) isn't paranoia, you dolt, it's realism.

Last, I understand you don't like long form discussion,  so it might be a bit much to ask you to listen to this long speech, but it's all about lovely Germany:

4 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I can tell you didn't even watch the speech. Sad that you shoot off your mouth without facts. Watch it. The EU were desperate for E. European countries to join, its a geopolitical thing, do you understand it? They'd love in Turkey too if it wasn't such a human rights hot potato. So they ignored any serious deep financial investigation into Greek finances, it was a choice made by the EU, for which they blamed Greek lies afterwards. Now they are even accepting worse financial basket cases into the EU. Yes, Greeks personally were irresponsible to accept the extra lending that banks offered them when EU cash (from German banks) started being offered to Greek financial institutions. It was like drug dealers offering kiddies free heroin.

And anyway, being worried about German domination of the EU (and so Europe) isn't paranoia, you dolt, it's realism.

Last, I understand you don't like long form discussion,  so it might be a bit much to ask you to listen to this long speech, but it's all about lovely Germany:

Banks offering money whatever is the world coming to..lets hope they get it  back.

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

What the same "realists" who said Britain's economy would tank after we voted out in 2016. Last month the UK had the biggest tax surplus on record and our GDP growth/inflation is on a par with Europe.

We are not out yet...if you hadbt noticed

Archived