The 50 greatest movies of all time, according to… everyone

snoop1130

The 50 greatest movies of all time, according to… everyone

BY ROSIE FLETCHER

1496418978-50-top-films.jpg

GETTYIMAGES/DIGITALSPY

Best movies lists come and go – but which is truly right? What literally is the BEST FILM EVER? We decided to work it out using statistics.

We assembled lists complied by IMDB (based on viewer ratings), Rotten Tomatoes (based on aggregated critics' reviews), The BFI (based on critics' votes), Empire (voted for by readers, critics and celebs) and The Hollywood Reporter (voted for by studio execs, producers and Hollywood main players).

We then allocated each movie a score out of a 100 depending on where it was ranked in the list (100 points for number 1 etc) and added up the collective scores to produce our own amalgamated super-list.

Here they are then, the 50 greatest movies of all time, as defined by everyone.

Full Story: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/g24667/greatest-movies-all-time/

In reality, not top 50 material but "The Lavender Hill Mob" and "It's A Mad, Mad World" made me laugh like no others.  I would think "Ben Hur", just on the strength of it's spectacle would have found a place on this list.  One of my all time favorites, a quiet WW2 film: "The Man Who Never Was" with Clifton Webb.  I can't say why but it got to me.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Title should be The 50 greatest English movies of all time … 

Sad to see that greatest international movies makers are ignored in such a list.

PS: and everyone should probably be replaced by Americans :whistling:

Good point.

12 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Sad to see that greatest international movies makers are ignored in such a list.

OK, where is your list. Nobody is preventing the other nations from publishing their own list except inertia.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Not so. Kurosawa is on that list. And Tokyo Story.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:54 AM, HighPriority said:

They can shove their cookies...

Agreed, I won't watch anything that wants to sell my information.

Soooo, I didn't see the list, but I disagree about "everyone"- BS.

Great movies depend on individual likes/ dislikes, so one persons great movie will be my garbage.

Out of Africa won best picture,  but I didn't like it, as I don't like anything with Streep in it.

Some of the best movies I ever saw will never be on any list of "best" pictures.

Is Two for the Road on the list? saw it in 1967 and still love it now.

I bet "Mamma Mia, Here we go again" never makes a "best movie" list, but it ticked all my boxes- good acting, singalong songs, feel happy ending ( except for the creepy Streep bit, and they could have happily omitted Cher ), eminently watchable more than once.

NB I did NOT like Mamma Mia with it's awful miscasting of Brosnan and way too much Streep for my taste.

Movie I watched most times, Rocky Horror Picture show. That should be on the list.

Archived