BANGKOK 18 March 2019 21:07
davhend25

Need clarification on role of late 2018 income affidavit

Hello all,

I'll apologize up front as I know this subject of new extension requirements has been hashed and re-hashed too many times to count.

I think it's reasonably clear now what the new 2019/2020 requirement are, but what do we know, at this point, is the situation with folks, like myself, who made the special trip to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok in late December 2018 (Dec. 21st) to get one last income affidavit?

My current retirement extension expires on June 8th, which means I can apply for my next extension as early as May 8th.  This would put the age of my affidavit under 5 months, and within the 6 month window that is supposed to be honored by Thai immigration.  

My understanding is that if the income affidavit is accepted by my local immigration office, then the old rules would still apply, that is, I would not need to show international transfers into a Thai bank account. I would be able to just show immigration my pension and social security funding docs like I have done in the past. I also show them my U.S. bank statements clearly showing these funds being deposited into my account at the first of every month all year long.

This would give me another whole year to arrange compliance with the new rules involving Thai banks and foreign transfers (Ugh).

Are the late 2018 income affidavits still in play as an option, or has that since been deemed unacceptable to immigration?  Does anyone know or have had first hand experience using one these affidavits so far this year?

There was a lot of discussion about this back in December, but not too much since, that I have been able to see.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

The income letter should be accepted as long as it’s less than 6 months old for this years extension.

But if you want to extend based on income next year you will have to start making monthly transfers from this year so you have a years history of transfers.

• Thanks 1

I am in a very very similar situation.  My affidavit is from the U.S. embassy dated the very end of December 2018 and my extension expires toward the end of June.  The last time I did my 90-day report at Chaeng Wattana, my wife talked to the person she said was the "head" of the section doing retirement extensions and was told that the affidavit would still be accepted for 6 months (i.e., until the end of June). 

I can't say what other TI offices will do, but I'm confident my affidavit will be valid when I apply for the extension at CW in the first part of June. 

Edited by JTXR

According to the rules and what immigration has stated it should still be accepted.

But I am aware of Phuket immigration not accepting one from the UK embassy for an extension based upon mariage. They said they are no longer accepted because they consider them as not being valid.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

According to the rules and what immigration has stated it should still be accepted.

But if they do not what do you suggest Joe.?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

But I am aware of Phuket immigration not accepting one from the UK embassy for an extension based upon mariage. They said they are no longer accepted because they consider them as not being valid.

Does anyone know if a complaint was lodged or if the affidavit was less than 6 months old? 

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

I am in a very very similar situation.  My affidavit is from the U.S. embassy dated the very end of December 2018 and my extension expires toward the end of June.  The last time I did my 90-day report at Chaeng Wattana, my wife talked to the person she said was the "head" of the section doing retirement extensions and was told that the affidavit would still be accepted for 6 months (i.e., until the end of June). 

I can't say what other TI offices will do, but I'm confident my affidavit will be valid when I apply for the extension at CW in the first part of June. 

Would I be safer to apply for my extension at CW, where the rules seem to be applied more correctly and consistently.  Also, as I am currently residing in the eastern provinces, would it be kosher for me to apply for my retirement extension at CW? Or can I apply anywhere?  

1 minute ago, davhend25 said:

Would I be safer to apply for my extension at CW, where the rules seem to be applied more correctly and consistently.  Also, as I am currently residing in the eastern provinces, would it be kosher for me to apply for my retirement extension at CW? Or can I apply anywhere?  

You can’t apply anywhere. You must apply at the office covering the area you live In.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You can’t apply anywhere. You must apply at the office covering the area you live In.

Thought so...just wasn't sure.

Thanks!

I used my income affidavit from Chiang Mai Consulate in early February. Chiang Mai immigration required documentation of the amount I claimed on the IA. I gave them copies of the Social Security letter for 2019 income and letters of monthly income from 2 private pensions. The IO took the amount I stated and did a currency exchange to see if the amount was enough. Then he asked if I knew that next year would be different to be sure I knew.

I hear some, but not all, offices require backup documentation to support your claim. Best to check with your office.

1 hour ago, jmd8800 said:

I used my income affidavit from Chiang Mai Consulate in early February. Chiang Mai immigration required documentation of the amount I claimed on the IA. I gave them copies of the Social Security letter for 2019 income and letters of monthly income from 2 private pensions. The IO took the amount I stated and did a currency exchange to see if the amount was enough. Then he asked if I knew that next year would be different to be sure I knew.

I hear some, but not all, offices require backup documentation to support your claim. Best to check with your office.

That's good news to be sure...I used the same back-up documentation as you when I did my first extension last year. That will not be a problem. I will also take my U.S. bank statements showing the direct deposits which will add up to the amount shown on the embassy affidavit.

Thanks for your kind reply.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

The income letter should be accepted as long as it’s less than 6 months old for this years extension.

The OP doesn't mention which office he will be making his application at. There seems to be some issue with Embassy letters being refused in Phuket now.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

You can. Move to any area you want, tell TI that is now your place of residence. Then when you got the visa, move back. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The OP doesn't mention which office he will be making his application at. There seems to be some issue with Embassy letters being refused in Phuket now.

It would be good indeed if he tells us which immigration office he is using.

At Phuket there is currently only one report of the affidavit being refused and it is not clear which kind of income he was using (Pension or some other income)

• Like 1