Britain's Labour Party splits over Brexit and anti-Semitism

snoop1130

Britain's Labour Party splits over Brexit and anti-Semitism

dcvdsf.JPG

Britain's Labour Party MP Chuka Umunna arrives at a news conference in London, Britain, February 18, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Seven lawmakers split from Britain’s opposition Labour Party on Monday, saying that the party leadership’s failures over Brexit, anti-Semitism and a culture of bullying in the party had left them no choice.

The group of lawmakers, calling themselves “The Independent Group”, included Chuka Umunna, who had at one point been seen as a future leadership candidate, and Luciana Berger, who has been outspoken about the party’s approach to anti-Semitism.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he was disappointed in their decision to leave the party.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-18

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Who cares .. The new lot'll be as bad as the present shower of sh*t masquerading under the Lab' banner .. 

Resigning the whip and being independent is exactly what is required. I hope some honourable Tories will follow suit. Smack in the teeth for Corbyn, I hope the rebellion accelerates. ????

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Resigning the whip and being independent is exactly what is required. I hope some honourable Tories will follow suit. Smack in the teeth for Corbyn, I hope the rebellion accelerates. ????

Moves are already afoot to de-select a slack handful of Remain MPs in Leave constituencies (at least 7 inc Grieve & Soubrey).

25 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Moves are already afoot to de-select a slack handful of Remain MPs in Leave constituencies (at least 7 inc Grieve & Soubrey).

The threat of deselection is definitely an issue in these resignations but it has nothing to do with Brexit.

’Momentum’ are positioning to oust anyone who is not absolutely loyal to Corbyn.

The Labour Party has morphed into

the ‘Corbyn Party’.

The Tories will be delighted.

And so they should be, a competent Labour leader would have ripped this failing government to pieces, as it is Corbyn has torn Labour appart.

Good. I predicted long time ago this would be coming. New parties around staying in the EU and as an opposition to the far-right idiots and Brexit fanatics would form. Here’s the beginning. 

And it shows again that nothing good comes from Brexit. Whoever touches it is being wracked, whether it’s Labour, Tories, society, the economy. What a cancer it is. 

so we have listened to these traitors claiming the people didn't know what they voted for. it seems that people that elected these traitors didn't know what they voted for either

If they want to diverse then they need to put themselves up for election otherwise they are breaking the very principles they claim to represent - put yourselves up for a by election otherwise this is complete nonsense - they have continually ignored the result of the referendum and spent the last 2 years trying to stop what the majority of people voted for - they need to take the next step and see if the people they claim to represent support them - simple

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

yes lets all get out of the UK and govern ourselves LMAO

the stupidity is astounding

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

so we have listened to these traitors claiming the people didn't know what they voted for. it seems that people that elected these traitors didn't know what they voted for either

Well I just heard their statements and they said no such thing. Brexit was barely touched on. They merely expressed their dissatisfaction of the Labour Party.

Who are they traitors to, by the way?

7 minutes ago, baboon said:

Well I just heard their statements and they said no such thing. Brexit was barely touched on. They merely expressed their dissatisfaction of the Labour Party.

the people that voted them into the commons might have a different view on that - so they should do the honourable thing and let their constituents decide if they agree with the direction they are heading and I'm not talking about all the stuff they are making a stand against - I am specifically referring to their stance on Brexit - all the other stuff I actually agree with

From what I have listened to so far I believe they are deflecting concerning their stance on leaving the EU - there is only one way to give them a 100% mandate - a by election

but no they will not do that because they know they will lose 

16 minutes ago, baboon said:

Brexit wasn't touched on because they are avoiding the single most important thing going on in the UK right now because they are misrepresenting the people that gave them their seat - they have ignored them for the last 2 years and are still ignoring them

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

Brexit wasn't touched on because they are avoiding the single most important thing going on in the UK right now because they are misrepresenting the people that gave them their seat - they have ignored them for the last 2 years and are still ignoring them

But in your own words

"so we have listened to these traitors claiming the people didn't know what they voted for."

You can't just get away with dismissing your misrepresentation of what they actually said. Because they didn't.

That said, I agree that they should not hang on to their seats without a by-election. 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So Corbyn's position has been weakened. 

He needs to decide does he want to continue supporting the Tory Brexit or offer an alternative. 

Brexit is not going to hand him power. 

You make it sound like Tories want Brexit and Labour want to remain 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

the people that voted them into the commons might have a different view on that - so they should do the honourable thing and let their constituents decide if they agree with the direction they are heading and I'm not talking about all the stuff they are making a stand against - I am specifically referring to their stance on Brexit - all the other stuff I actually agree with

From what I have listened to so far I believe they are deflecting concerning their stance on leaving the EU - there is only one way to give them a 100% mandate - a by election

but no they will not do that because they know they will lose 

None of their positions have changed since the last post-referendum election re Brexit, but don't let that information stop the Hard Brexiteer ranting.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I guess the little matter of the general Election after the referendum didn't happen. Maybe Hard Brexiteers should think first, but hey! Why spoil the habits of a lifetime?

This is how they stand. All pretty much EU Remainers. I can't see really what they hope to achieve. 

EU Constituency Vote  
  Remain Leave  
Chuka Umunna 78%    
Luciana Berger 65%    
Chris Leslie 57%    
Angela Smith   61% Remainer
Mike Gapes 57%    
Gavin Shuker   55% Semi Remainer
Ann Coffey 53%    

6 hours ago, smedly said:

If they want to diverse then they need to put themselves up for election otherwise they are breaking the very principles they claim to represent - put yourselves up for a by election otherwise this is complete nonsense - they have continually ignored the result of the referendum and spent the last 2 years trying to stop what the majority of people voted for - they need to take the next step and see if the people they claim to represent support them - simple

You ought to pause whenever you use the term ’traitor’ and ask yourself are you being entirely rational.

Corbyn, with the backing of ‘Momentum’ is turning the Labour Party into a cult in direct conflict with  the Labour Party’s long history of encompassing and welcoming broad views across the spectrum of leftwing politics.

Corbyn and ‘Momentum’ have been behaving like thugs, demanding personal loyalty to Corbyn with the threat of deselection from MPs who have a duty to represent the whole of their constituencies.

While Corbyn is demonstrably unable to defeat, or even expose, the weakest Tory government in living memory, he and ‘Momentum’ attack dissenting voices within Labour.

A failing party leader propped up by ‘Momentum’ backing the Tory Brexit in the vain hope Brexit might hand Corbyn the keys to No 10.

I pause before accusing Corbyn of dereliction of his duty as party leader, viewing the evidence he’s simply not bright enough for the job.

Archived