Phnom Penh Thai Embassy: Hard to get VISA now

Hi everyone.

I'm Italian and I have been in Thailand for the first time with a SETV 60 days + 30 days. After that I extended for another 7 days to match my flight date and avoid any overstay on my passport. 

However now I flew out from Thailand to Phnom Penh with the idea to visit the city and eventually get a new visa before going back. So I went to the well reviewed Lucky Lucky visa agency in PP and I got really surprised when they told me that nowadays almost 50% of visas get voided.

They also told me from their experience that if you previously extended your SETV at Thailand Immigration Office , 90% of the times your Visa will get voided if you apply. And that makes things even harder for people to get a new VISA in cambodia.

So I started thinking about applying for a new one. 

On Friday 22th feubrary 2019 I'm trying to go back to Bangkok and try to get a Visa exemption ( it will be my first one ) . 

So, instead of trying the luck with a new SETV and eventually get a voided one on my passport, I decided to save the 50$ and spend them on a new flight out from Thai ( for Vietnam On the 24th march, after exactly 30 days , just in case I need to show as a proof of onward ticket to airport custom ).

My question is: does anybody know if there is any chance they'll refuse to give me a VE flying back to Thailand from Cambodia?

Considering that I never attempt to get a VE before, I will have 20.000 baht cash in my pockets, Proof of onward ticket out of the country after 30 days and rent contract of my condo.

Do you guys think they will say like "you cannot get in another time" ?

I really need to get back because I still have all my things in the condo.

Can anybody tell me his/her opinion?

Thank you so much guys I appreciate any answer. 

Edited by Fedexpat

I may be wrong and with deference to BritTim's earlier comment, if you are aiming for a visa-exempt entry, regardless of having 20k cash and on onward ticket, there's a higher probability of getting knocked back at DMK Don Meuang than trying for a visa-exempt entry at BKK Bangkok. Your history doesn't seem too questionable but the IO with a 'bad hair day' scenario seems to be more of an issue at the northern airport.

Since you have Vietnam on your radar already, what's the chance of heading over to Saigon and applying for a SETV there? There used to be a pinned 'sticky' thread with updates about the difficulty or otherwise of getting various Thai visa's at regional embassies and consulates. Looks like it's been un-pinned, maybe due to lack of current information?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/189375-latest-reports-of-getting-a-visa-in-the-region/

Edited by NanLaew

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I may be wrong but if you are aiming for a visa-exempt entry, regardless of having 20k cash and on onward ticket, there's a higher probability of getting knocked back at DMK Don Meuang than trying for a visa-exempt entry at BKK Bangkok.

Since you have Vietnam on your radar already, what's the chance of heading over to Saigon and applying for a SETV there? There used to be a pinned 'sticky' thread with updates about the difficulty or otherwise of getting various Thai visa's at regional embassies and consulates. Looks like it's been un-pinned, maybe due to lack of current information?

Thank you guys for your answers.

My flight from Cambodia lands at Suvarnabhumi airport. I don't really know if DMK is better or not. 

I bought a ticket for Vietnam but not sure if I will go there 100%. I bought a refundable one just in case I change my mind. But doing so I can also show my onward ticket to airport custom. I hope they will let me get in without any problem. 

The first time I went to Thailand with a regular SETV, ticket, and everything set up they made me a LOT of questions. They even call another official to make some questions to me.

That's why i am worried. 

You have good answers. You will have no problem visa exempt with your history. Flight out was necessary to board flight. Airline requirement. You have. Great. 

Just to add dont rule out your flight to Vietnam. Great joint. Not sure but as Italian think you can enter Vietnam visa exempt. Depending his long your visit.....you could obtain setv to Thailand in say, Saigon. 

Enjoy

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I hope I don't have any problem. Will let you know day 22th feubrary.

Yeah can still use Vietnam to get a Visa maybe, but honestly I would rather do a Visa run in 2 days to Laos next time through an expert agency.

I heard that Thai Embassy in Vientiane is much more friendly for this kind of things.

24 minutes ago, Fedexpat said:

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I hope I don't have any problem. Will let you know day 22th feubrary.

Yeah can still use Vietnam to get a Visa maybe, but honestly I would rather do a Visa run in 2 days to Laos next time through an expert agency.

I heard that Thai Embassy in Vientiane is much more friendly for this kind of things.

It looks like Vientiane is not as friendly as it used to be, there's a post of a guy in another thread who got the blu stamp at his first Vientiane setv.

4 hours ago, yuiop said:

It looks like Vientiane is not as friendly as it used to be, there's a post of a guy in another thread who got the blu stamp at his first Vientiane setv.

Maybe if you do it with an expert agency its easier to get it than applying yourself. Not sure.

But many Russian people I met in Thailand made it by agency with no problem for 5k to 7k baht. 

I think the OP has a legitimate concern and I think the above responses that he should not have a problem, considering his history, are correct.  All due respect.  I do feel one step closer to edge having even read it, though.  What is really going on here?  This guy is from Italy and on his first SETV and worried he can't come back to Thailand?  I understand why he is concerned, but why should he be concerned?  We don't need tourists, we need a submarine?  Anyway OP- Lucky Lucky has mixed reviews.  I've heard horror stories from renting bikes to getting visas.  If you want to try again in Phnom Penh, I would suggest LMN.  Within walking distance, riverside.  Can't send links here, but I used them about a year ago and it was smooth.  Note that today, 19th Feb is a holiday so the embassy won't be open and it takes 3-4 days in Phnom Penh (mine was three, but yes...they seem to be the slowest and unfriendliest and most corrupt of all), so you probably have to be on overstay.  500 baht per day.  Otherwise, just follow the advice of coming in visa exempt or going to basically anywhere else.

12 hours ago, yuiop said:

I'd be curious to see a link to that event too. That is insane. Warning stamp on FIRST setv in Laos? It has to be a joke. 

14 hours ago, Fedexpat said:

The first time I went to Thailand with a regular SETV, ticket, and everything set up they made me a LOT of questions. They even call another official to make some questions to me.

That's why i am worried. 

OP - are you saying that immigration pulled you aside to ask you questions on your first ever trip to thailand ?  you mention you've never had a VE entry so you are not saying it was your first time entering using an SETV. 

2 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Do you have a link to that event ?

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

I'd be curious to see a link to that event too. That is insane. Warning stamp on FIRST setv in Laos? It has to be a joke. 

Here it is, post #9

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084823-is-savannakhet-tourist-visa-notice-still-up/?tab=comments#comment-13855117

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

OP - are you saying that immigration pulled you aside to ask you questions on your first ever trip to thailand ?  you mention you've never had a VE entry so you are not saying it was your first time entering using an SETV. 

Correct. On my first trip ever on a SETV I have been pulled a part asking:

What are you doing in here in Thailand for 60 days ?

Why did you book a onward ticket after 90 days ?

You don't have a job in your country?

Do you have any friends here?

Do you have hotel reservation or rent contract?

Are you aware you not allowed with this visa here?

You know that every overstay day is 500 bhat ?

They were speaking a ridicolous english so was hard to explain things in order to make them understand. I replied that I was in holiday here and I wasn't looking for any job. I just wanted to visit Thailand.

"IMPOSSIBLE! 60 days holiday. IMPOSSIBLE!"

they said. 

After each other speaking and checking my documents one of the IO told me in a disgusting way: "ok, go, go, go".

At the end they let me get in. I know these are some legit questions for an IO but you know after 1 day of no sleep and 12 hours of flight + jetleg I didn't expect so many questions and I didn't like the way they were talking to me.

Correct. On my first trip ever on a SETV I have been pulled a part asking:

What are you doing in here in Thailand for 60 days ?

Why did you book a onward ticket after 90 days ?

You don't have a job in your country?

Do you have any friends here?

Do you have hotel reservation or rent contract?

You know that every overstay day is 500 bhat ?

They were speaking a ridicolous english so was hard to explain things in order to make them understand. I replied that I was in holiday here and I wasn't looking for any job. I just wanted to visit Thailand.

they said. 

After each other speaking and checking my documents one of the IO told me in a disgusting way: "ok, go, go, go".

At the end they let me get in. I know these are some legit questions for an IO but you know after 1 day of no sleep and 12 hours of flight + jetleg I didn't expect so many questions and I didn't like the way they were talking to me.

Sounds like they are suspicious of you working. Maybe they are profiling

9 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I think the OP has a legitimate concern and I think the above responses that he should not have a problem, considering his history, are correct.  All due respect.  I do feel one step closer to edge having even read it, though.  What is really going on here?  This guy is from Italy and on his first SETV and worried he can't come back to Thailand?  I understand why he is concerned, but why should he be concerned?  We don't need tourists, we need a submarine?  Anyway OP- Lucky Lucky has mixed reviews.  I've heard horror stories from renting bikes to getting visas.  If you want to try again in Phnom Penh, I would suggest LMN.  Within walking distance, riverside.  Can't send links here, but I used them about a year ago and it was smooth.  Note that today, 19th Feb is a holiday so the embassy won't be open and it takes 3-4 days in Phnom Penh (mine was three, but yes...they seem to be the slowest and unfriendliest and most corrupt of all), so you probably have to be on overstay.  500 baht per day.  Otherwise, just follow the advice of coming in visa exempt or going to basically anywhere else.

Thanks for the answer. 

I have been to both agencies luckylucky and LMN.

They both told me the same things:

Thai Embassy as recently changed their rules from 2 months and want people to go apply themselves instead of using an agency.

Agencies they can still do the work if you want but they cannot guarantee you'll get it 100%.

2 working days to get a VISA paying extra is no more possible.

3 working days for 50$ and 4 working days for 40$.

50%-40% of the VISA get voided and they told me from their experience that if you asked an extension while you were in thailand 90% of the times they give you a void VISA on your passport. 

That's why i didn't apply for a new VISA and decided to go back trying to get a VE. I just stay in PP for 7 days so don't need to go on overstay...

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, Fedexpat said:

This is not the first of this reported.  The MFA issues a Tourist Visa good for 60-days permitted-stay and immigration will extend it for 30-days more.  But the corrupt (deleted) at the Bangkok airports think it is far too dangerous to let a farang stay in the country so long.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, Fedexpat said:

That's a new one.  So, basically, "We don't care that the MFA issued you this visa.  We don't like its terms so we are declaring it "not allowed."

The only solution is to avoid ever entering Thailand anywhere but law-abiding entry-points - all land-borders except Poipet/Aranyaprathet.  Chiang Mai airport may also be ok, but big PITA if rejected by-air.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, yuiop said:
On 2/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, freedomnow said:

Do you have a link to that event ?

On 2/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, Essecola said:

Here it is, post #9

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084823-is-savannakhet-tourist-visa-notice-still-up/?tab=comments#comment-13855117

From that post:

On 2/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, BigT73 said:

... I had a new passport 2 Metv visas back to back with only 5 days in my home country.

After staying here 14 mnths pretty much continually I went for my first setv in vientiene and received the blue stamp.

Ok - after 14 mo "pretty much continually" Vientiane may remark-stamp you - but still issue the visa.  Time for a new passport (or new METV from one's passport-country).

On 2/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, BigT73 said:

Another russian girl had 1 setv from her home country and 1 from vientiene previously. Her second trip to vientine she got the blue stamp. 

That one is more concerning. 

It is unfortunate they don't just publish their rules so that people know what to expect.  Still, not like Phnom Penh where you go back with no visa at all (and better hope you saved your 2x land-border visa-exempts).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fedexpat said:

Hi,

Just to let you know guys I arrived today in Bangkok.

No visa.

They didn't ask for 20k

They didnt ask for flight back ticket.

No question asked.

The IO didn't even look me in the face he just stamp my passport for a VE and that's it.

Thanks to everyone who answered to my thread ????

Thanks for update. Question. For your boarding pass in pp, did the airline not ask to see flight out of Thailand? Which airline.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for update. Question. For your boarding pass in pp, did the airline not ask to see flight out of Thailand? Which airline.

JC airlanes. 

Yes they did ask me for onward ticket at the check in but not at the immigration.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fedexpat said:

5 minutes ago, Fedexpat said:

JC airlanes. 

Yes they did ask me for onward ticket at the check in but not at the immigration.

Yes that's normally the way it works. Cheers.

Edited by DrJack54
Error