Macbook Pro boots but shuts off after IOS update

Thomas J

I got an update notice and downloaded the update.  Afterwards my computer will boot but immediately after loading will shut down.  I ran a disk utility and it says the disk has errors and can not be repaired.  Any suggestions?  I can connect to the internet via an Ethernet cord but it says the disk is locked. 

9 hours ago, whatevs said:

When you say it "will boot".  What do you see on your screen before it shuts down?

When you ran the update did you notice anything that said 'firmware update'? When it was updating did you hear it chime/beep at all?

I don't recall if it chimed i don't think so.   The notice said it was an update to the operating system.  When it boots the apple logo comes up and the bar will load such as the picture attached.  When bar is finished, the computer will turn itself off.  I have tried to reboot using the recovery disk on the computer instead of the main drive.  No luck.  When I run the disk utility to repair it says it can not repair the disk.  It is a solid state disk so I would not think it would be prone to the typical failure of a disk drive. 

download.png

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I believe you tried to start the mac in recovery mode by holding down Command+ R at startup?  When you then tried to repair the disk it said the disk was locked?  Is my understanding correct?

If so do this:

Startup from your Recovery HD again (Command R.) After the Utility Menu appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu item in the screen's menubar. Paste the following at the Terminal's prompt:

mount -uw /

Press Return. Quit the Terminal then restart the computer.

Let me know

Could you also tell me what version operating system you were running (if you can remember).  There are some things we may be able to do in single user mode with UNIX commands. It would also help to know the model of your device i.e roughly how old is it?  You say Macbook Pro-is that one of the new Mac Pro's or an older model?

If it helps to re-assure i'm an Apple Certified Mac Technician.  I do this for a living.

8 hours ago, whatevs said:

Have you tried to reinstall the operating system from recovery mode?  Am I making sense?  Hard to know someone's level of IT skills online. 

Yes I tried reinstall from recovery.  It won't because of the bad disk

Could you also tell me what version operating system you were running (if you can remember).  There are some things we may be able to do in single user mode with UNIX commands. It would also help to know the model of your device i.e roughly how old is it?  You say Macbook Pro-is that one of the new Mac Pro's or an older model?

It is an older Mac probably about 5 to 6 years old.  I had just "upgraded" to the current operating system on Itunes. 

If so do this:

Startup from your Recovery HD again (Command R.) After the Utility Menu appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu item in the screen's menubar. Paste the following at the Terminal's prompt:

mount -uw /

Did this.  I get no such file or directory message

Two important questions"

Do you remember password protecting your firmware?

Do you remember whether your encrypted your disk?

Regardless, try this -put the mac into single user mode like this........

...turn your computer off, then press and hold Cmd + S when your computer boots.  What you will now see is a black screen with lots of white text running down the screen.  If you've password protected your firmware it will not allow you do this so and there is not much I can do either.  If you have no firmware password the white text thing will start and you should wait for approx 4 minutes for it to stop doing it's thing

NB: If you’ve encrypted your drive, you’ll need to select the relevant user account and enter the encrption password you set to decrypt it if you don't see a request for a password you're ok.

Now type fsck -fy  Type it exactly like I have written in bold with the space between fsck  and -    Once you have typed it press return it will throw up more text when it looks like it has stopped you may see a message which may something like:

**The Volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.**

****The volume was modified****

or it will say:

**The volume Macintosh HD was repaired successfully**

****The volume was modified****

Once you see one of those messages reboot your computer.  If I remember correctly typing reboot  or exit will reboot it.  If the message was **The Volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.**  Then start it again in single user mode and repeat the process. There’s no harm in trying multiple times, since the process makes changes to your drive on each pass. If it gets to 4 times with no luck, I'd give up.

Do you have another mac in the house? My next option would be to attempt to start the drive from another device and trying with something like Disk Warrior. 

If you took your device into an Apple Store right now they will tell you that your HD has failed and that would be that.  We can try a few other things before giving up

4 hours ago, Thomas J said:

It is an older Mac probably about 5 to 6 years old.  I had just "upgraded" to the current operating system on Itunes. 

That's good.  I'm going to assume this is a 2012 Macbook Pro.  They are nice to work on because it's easy to open them up and swap parts around. 

28 minutes ago, whatevs said:

Two important questions"

Do you remember password protecting your firmware?

Do you remember whether your encrypted your disk?

I have to enter a password to log in to the computer but I never password protected any firmware or encrypted the disk

8 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I have run it twice.  I get the message that the disk McIntosh HD could not be completely verified. 

Just ran it a third time.  Same error message that the HD could not be completely verified.  When I reboot the apple logo comes up load bar fills about half way then shuts down computer.  I tried to plug in a flash drive and got that it could not load image except to GPT partition.  I tried on my PC to format to GPT and it says that flash drive can not be partitioned.   Apple may be a superior product but it sure makes things difficult. 

This is a real long shot because it does appear that you have a damaged disk.

Try start in safe mode. Hold down shift as the laptop is starting up.  If it starts in safemode then just restart it again once it's fully booted.

1 minute ago, whatevs said:

I'm assuming that as you cannot access your disk from recovery mode to repair-it won't let you erase it either?  If you have a backup you may as well see if you can erase the disk and reinstall the operating system

From the recovery mode it says the disk can not be repaired.  I tried to back it up to a flash drive but as mentioned it will not allow that either.  I have an external dock.  I may just pull the drive and see if I can recover some if not all the files.  There are not many files on it.  Thankfully I did not use the Mac as my every day computer.  You work with Apple.  As mentioned they may be a superior product but they certainly corral you into having only Apple products to pair to.  Far more difficult to work around than a windows product when something goes wrong.  Thanks for trying though. 

If I was in Thailand (which i'm not) and you brought that into my office I'd unscrew the back cover, remove the hard drive, plug the HD into another mac device via a SATA cable and see if I can repair it via another machine. If you can access the HD via another machine you will know that it's not the HD that is having the problem but the data cable.

If you are confident with tinkering with electronics you could google these things.  A data cable is easy and cheap to replace, a macbook repair kit and a SATA cable are cheap too. I'm not 100% sure that is what it is though.  Depends whethe this stuff is fun to you.  May be easier to just drop it off at a repair shop.  I always find that Apple technicians outside of Apple stores tend to work harder to fix it. A Apple Store person would just say "sorry your HD is <deleted>". 

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Hemera said:

Actually,the issue that Macbook Pro boots but shuts off after iOS update is caused by the incompatibility between iOS and your Macbook. You can try downgrading the iOS version.

It was after an "update" that the problem began.  However, now that it shuts down, I can not do anything such as downgrading since I can't get the laptop to stay powered. 

Archived