Maternity Insurance

TheRascal

Searched the forum pretty extensively but couldn't see this asked or answered clearly or recently. 

Mrs and I are planning to have a baby. After seeing horror stories on here of huge fees if there are complications after the birth we want to ensure we're covered for this eventuality. We are planning to go private so govt hospitals / govt cover isn't relevant. We're also not planning to start trying immediately so a waiting time wouldn't be a massive issue. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company for either health insurance with that cover or standalone maternity cover (as she has health insurance already through her work but it doesn't cover maternity). Would be interested to know approximate costs + waiting times. 

No such thing as stand alone maternity cover AFAIK.

Almost all insurance policies offer maternity cover as an add-on. It does significantly increase costs, and there is always a waiting period.

The first thing I would suggest is that you investigate whether it is possible for her to pay for maternity add-on to the insurance she has from work. I am assuming this is private insurance and not Thai Social Security as the latter does cover maternity. If she is employed anywhere but a private school she should be under SS (even if the employer also provides private insurance, still mandatory) so look into that if so. Ss cover is limited to one hospital but there is a choice of which.

Second option woudl be to work with a broker to find an optimal insurance policy inclusive of maternity. Make sure that the policy covers not only childbirth but care for the newborn for at least one month after delivery, that is where the catastrophic costs can come into play.  I recommend AA Brokers www.aainsure.net

If your wife is a Thai citizen then both she and the baby are covered under the government's "30 baht" scheme (assuming she is nto under SS), which will pay everything though only at a government hospital.

Be forewarned that unnecessary c-section is the norm in Thai private hospitals.  And that good qulaity care -- and private rooms - can be had at the larger government hospitals.

Archived