BANGKOK 19 July 2019 05:05
webfact

Road fatalities halved when alcohol banned on major Buddhist holidays, safety centre finds

Nothing to do with alcohol. Buddha was looking after his flock and protecting them.

• Haha 1

Studies show that "statistics are going up!".  Cherry picking data ... again, just like anywhere else in the world.

I drink, I drive, but I don't drink and drive.  I don't need a holiday that I don't subscribe to banning me from doing stupid.  Surely the connection is self evident(?).

8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How does he know that?

He's had plenty of time to compile the story! :-

“But, with the alcohol ban in effect on Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent days in 2017, the number of road fatalities reduced to 21 per day only,” he said." 

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

While I'm generally anti Thai bashing just for the sake of it, it is certainly hard to disagree with your post. 

Although interestingly, I read somewhere a while back that around 60 - 70% of road fatalities are people on motos without helmets, which would indicate it's far more a common sense thing that a courtesy thing? As I totter along at 60kmh on my scooter, I get cold shivers seeing young Thai males (and occasionally females) belting down the road at 110kmh with no helmet on, weaving in and out of traffic. 

And too often at nigh without lights! (In my parish anyway!) 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is said that the measure of a modern & civilised society is in its road use... 

It could be argued that this is somewhat of a sweeping generalisation and a bit of a Thai-bash... well it is, but not an unwarranted one. 

Improvement would make living in this lovely place that much more enjoyable... 

Its heartbraking to see so many Thai’s unnecessarily succumbing to a nationwide cultural failure to adopt a little curtesy and common sense... 

A Thai and common sense are just not compatable, and not just on the roads.

1 hour ago, captainhornblower said:

Very well said TER. To me, one of the best indicators of attitude on the roads here is the use of headlights to indicate to other drivers intent. In Europe (well certainly in UK) if a driver flashes their lights it is normally inviting you take the road ahead of them. In Thailand it generally means 'get out of my way I'm coming through whether you like it or not'. It is such a flawed thought process as in the western way it generally prevents accidents because right of way has been ceded by the driver that flashes but in the Thai way, if both drivers have the same mindset, then an accident is more likely to occur.

That works well until you meet someone who actually complies with the UK driving ways. In the Highway code it states

Rule 111

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

All you need is 2 people, going in opposite directions, both thinking "what a nice polite man... CRUNCH".

I'm looking forward to when this safety centre finds banning the use of mobile phones, cells or whatever anyone wants to call them reduces the road toll another 50%.

9 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How does he know that?

In 2017 !
Why is this news ?
The real numbers of today they will tell in 2021 ?

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Alchohol is definitely a contributing factor in way too many accidents here, though to my mind, it keeps coming back to the fact that a significant number of Thai people simply have no idea of how to drive properly, even when they are sober.

RE - it keeps coming back to the fact that a significant number of Thai people simply have no idea of how to drive properly, even when they are sober.

With other words and to ensure I got it right - due to the fact that the Thai's never get a proper driving education their driving habits are considered as drunk driving according to the European standard even when they are sober .... :coffee1:

What would bring it down to 5% to 10% is the simple enforcement of the law with stringent penalties. No need to keep committees, working groups and fact finding missions going; just look how European countries deal with the problem.

Any drunk driver is fined THB 1‘000 for the first 0.1%o above the limit, double for the second 0.1%o, triple for the third 0.1%o etc. Everything above 1%0 results in car impounding, THB 20‘000 (that is what the corrupt police at the moment is creaming off foreigners caught above ANY limit) fine; the car is off the road for a week. Repeaters = double. 

Guess that would deal with the problem. Corrupt police to be fired (instead of present „inactive posting“ practice), named with picture in public on a website; that would deal with that issue. 

Wishful thinking but banning booze does not mean, that there are less drunk drivers on the road. Mom and Pop shops sell as usual and the dye-hard boozers got their stock replenished before the ban.

The ban on a Buddhist day is, by the way, not an issue by the Buddhist Sankha but the present shortsighted government; in Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar - equally Buddhist countries, so such „ban“ is known. 

Here we go, you can see what's coming next, just like the train steward that raped and murdered a passenger, it wasn't his fault, it was alcohol..... Next there'll be an alcohol ban for all and only those with a permit will be allowed to drink.....   with an allowance per week.......