Visa question

in 2018 i used 6 visa extemptions as iam UK Passport holder.

End of 2018 i decided to get SETV and in Jan 2019, i applied for Re-Entry + 30 day extension.  I left UK in Jan for 10 days and re-entered BKK.  The stamp says valid till 6th March 2019.

I plan to go Saigon on 6th March and come back 8th March.  Once i arrive in Saigon i will go to Thai embassy and get a SETV and collect on 7th Afternoon (Tight schedule i know)

Which airport would be best to return to for immigration purposes?  My choices are DMK or BKK.

BKK is better than DMK, but you could still have problems even at BKK.

Coming from Ho Chi Minh City, it is certainly most convenient to return to Bangkok directly by air. However, if you want to avoid a nail biting entry, you might want to consider alternatives. These include:

• Fly to Vientiane, cross the Friendship Bridge; domestic flight from Udon Thani to Bangkok
  • By land HCMC -> Phnom Penh -> Ko Khong (crossing to Thailand at Hat Lek) -> (Expensive) domestic flight from Trat to Bangkok on Bangkok Airways, or continue overland.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Coming from Ho Chi Minh City, it is certainly most convenient to return to Bangkok directly by air. However, if you want to avoid a nail biting entry, you might want to consider alternatives. These include:

• Fly to Vientiane, cross the Friendship Bridge; domestic flight from Udon Thani to Bangkok
  • By land HCMC -> Phnom Penh -> Ko Khong (crossing to Thailand at Hat Lek) -> (Expensive) domestic flight from Trat to Bangkok on Bangkok Airways, or continue overland.

That sounds like a tough journey.  Whats the chances of me being able to get through immigration ?

40 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

That sounds like a tough journey.  Whats the chances of me being able to get through immigration ?

Personally I think you will have tough time at either bkk airports. Especially given planned SHORT trip to Saigon for setv. Only upside is being UK and visa exempt to Vietnam, if refused entry bkk it wouldn't be disaster if refused entry to fly back to Saigon. Your setv for Thailand would be valid and you could look at border entry as outlined by britTim. You didn't elaborate on your 6 VE in 2018. Time between and extensions etc

Edited by DrJack54
Error

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally I think you will have tough time at either bkk airports. Especially given planned SHORT trip to Saigon for setv. Only upside is being UK and visa exempt to Vietnam, if refused entry bkk it wouldn't be disaster if refused entry to fly back to Saigon. Your setv for Thailand would be valid and you could look at border entry as outlined by britTim. You didn't elaborate on your 6 VE in 2018. Time between and extensions etc

my 6 VE during 2018 was mainly between 10-20 days spread out over the year.  To conclude, i would have a tough time and would depend on the IO?

Just now, pantsonfire said:

my 6 VE during 2018 was mainly between 10-20 days spread out over the year.  To conclude, i would have a tough time and would depend on the IO?

Yes, but he will get a flag requiring him to check you out.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Fly to Vientiane from Siagon requires a change in Hanoi?  What is the friendship bridge?

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A bridge over Mee Khong river from near Vientiane in Laos, to Nong Khai in Thailand, with land border.

Just in case i need to plan this, I would 

Fly back to Saigon

Fly to Hanoi and change to Vientiane

Get a car to Nong Khai to cross border? or get a car to Udon Thani Airport

Fly from Udon Thani to BKK.

Who has done this trip and how long?

10 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Short stays previously 10-20 is big thing in your favour. It always depends on io. As you would already be aware, have cash on you etc. As you would be aware....for the setv you required to have hard copy flight out of Thailand. Have that also handy if question by io at bkk airport

7 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Just in case i need to plan this, I would 

Fly back to Saigon

Fly to Hanoi and change to Vientiane

Get a car to Nong Khai to cross border? or get a car to Udon Thani Airport

Fly from Udon Thani to BKK.

Who has done this trip and how long?

No. You would fly to Saigon because that's how it works. You would then fly to Vientiane and make your way to border crossing. Last bit easy. What I don't understand is why go to Saigon in first place. Only staying minimum time. Why not fly bkk to udon. Minibus to non khai. Get your setv at Vientiane. Then back to Thai border to enter with your setv. Simple. Heck you could even try reenter Thai at that border trying VE. Unlikely but 2 VE per calander yr is allowed. Worth a try. If no go then get your setv

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No. You would fly to Saigon because that's how it works. You would then fly to Vientiane and make your way to border crossing. Last bit easy. What I don't understand is why go to Saigon in first place. Only staying minimum time. Why not fly bkk to udon. Minibus to non khai. Get your setv at Vientiane. Then back to Thai border to enter with your setv. Simple. Heck you could even try reenter Thai at that border trying VE. Unlikely but 2 VE per calander yr is allowed. Worth a try. If no go then get your setv

I need to go to Saigon for work.  

7 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I need to go to Saigon for work.  

Work! ....anyway think you have options from folk above. 

Aside...I fly Saigon often, think early flight arrives about 9.30am, then passport control. Going to be very tight to get your setv application in am. They stop for lunch at 12 and think that means they accept sometime prior, maybe up to 11.30

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Work! ....anyway think you have options from folk above. 

Aside...I fly Saigon often, think early flight arrives about 9.30am, then passport control. Going to be very tight to get your setv application in am. They stop for lunch at 12 and think that means they accept sometime prior, maybe up to 11.30

Yeah, it will be very tight, The flight lands at 9.10am and i dont have suitcase, iam hoping to get there just before 11.30am.  Otherwise, i have to go to the afternoon and collect it on 8th Morning?

4 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Yeah, it will be very tight, The flight lands at 9.10am and i dont have suitcase, iam hoping to get there just before 11.30am.  Otherwise, i have to go to the afternoon and collect it on 8th Morning?

Visa application (paperwork) dropped off AM. Available for pickup PM next day

2 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

If you are trying to enter visa exempt, the risk is real. I would not like to put a percentage on it, but it would be a risk I would not be prepared to take. If you have a visa, the risk is much lower. Even then, be well groomed, affluent looking, and well prepared with answers if questioned.

3 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

If i arrive at 9am and say immigration is 30 min?  10am expected to leave, i have 1.5 hours to get to Royal Thai Embassy which is 21 min (excluding traffic) before i can hand it in at 11.30am.  Or is immigration very long at Vietnam?

You mentioned flight schedule to land 9.10am. I fly every week. That means flight maybe 9.30am or later.

Passport control depends on how many planes landed at around that time. Same as bkk (esp DM) can be virtually zero wait can be way longer. Outside airport by 10.15 might be possible. Taxi to consulate by 11.30 possible, maybe. You must like stress because I wouldn't be up for it.

28 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

If i arrive at 9am and say immigration is 30 min?  10am expected to leave, i have 1.5 hours to get to Royal Thai Embassy which is 21 min (excluding traffic) before i can hand it in at 11.30am.  Or is immigration very long at Vietnam?

Do plans like this ever work out for you in SE Asia? Not me, I always find I am the only one in a hurry.

5 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Which airport would be best to return to for immigration purposes?  My choices are DMK or BKK.

It doesn’t make any difference. The chances of getting denied entry at either airport are small. The worst case would probably be questioning and/or a warning.