How is the TM-30 housemaster reporting requirement affecting you?

In Kanchanaburi IO they expect a 24 hour report TM30 ONLY if you return from overseas. The last 2 trips I took a form pre-signed by my landlord (G/F Brother) and they accepted it happily. The office is on my way home from the Bangkok airports so it's not inconvenient. 

Recently I came back from another trip and did the same but was asked why the landlord did not accompany me. I explained to do that within 24 hours I'd need to drive the 160Km home to pick him up and then go back to the Immigration Office. The still insisted I bring him next time until a senior lady joined the discussion and after a catch up with her she told me ideally bring him but really 'it was up to me'. I have a trip in June and will not arrange to take him but if they insist will just have to make a double journey. She also told me in future I would need to inform them (not sure how) in advance that I was leaving. I am hoping this was a lost-in-translation moment and for now will let it slide.

I will also ask if I can use the local police for the TM30 reporting, or at a stretch, use the small office in Sangkhlaburi (where I could do 90 day reporting but prefer online for that) which is only an hour from home. It's the inconsistency I have trouble with, I am happy to comply with what the requirements are, if they would only be more rigid.

A fine is revenue, if you avoid the fine by compliance, extra staff are required which in turn requires extra ‘revenue’. I have been photographed officially by cameras linked to the system three times this visit and submitted a ‘hard copy’ twice I think. Many photocopies have been made at shops renting space in the Government Center. Where will it all end? This huge house of cards must be maintained. Better to pay any fines but above all do make the creation of new cells necessary by complying.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

19 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Phuket immigration is very strict on this re-registering of address, but, they have made it so much easier.

Go to the drive through with only your passport, no TM30, or TM28 necessary, though, must have the address registry slip that is stapled into your passport. Takes about three minutes. Though, if you address has changed, then you need to go into the office with a new TM form.

Without a current registration of address, they will not process a retirement extension until it has been done. 

I just do it online now- takes about 30 seconds. The drive thru is a great improvement though.

I will leave Thailand following this law too, my landlord is a thai lady and she is getting tired of filling the TM30 each time I go out, I understand her totally and fully. It's a ridiculous law in the sense that someone else than yourself has to be involved, the thai landlord. So this might be my last year in Thailand.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

I will leave Thailand following this law too, my landlord is a thai lady and she is getting tired of filling the TM30 each time I go out, I understand her totally and fully. It's a ridiculous law in the sense that someone else than yourself has to be involved, the thai landlord. So this might be my last year in Thailand.

You can do them yourself as a tenant at most offices. A tenant is defined as being a housemaster in the immigration act.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Oh really ? What documents do I need to do this ?

That can depend upon the office you report to.

A rental agreement and copies of the owners house book and ID card should be enough to prove you are are the tennant.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:41 AM, Felt 35 said:

On 2/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, Pungdo said:

I went home to Oz for Xmas and while at Jomtien Immigration getting my re-entry permit I asked if I would need to lodge a new TM30 on my return (or at least my wife) I was told that because I am here on a Retirement Extension I did not need to, but I guess I might find out the hard way when I do my renewal next month.

Have they asked you to show the 20,000 cash, or anything like that? I'm going to Siem Reap on Sunday and would like to prepare, please? I'm also on a Retirement extension. Thanks!

23 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No where did I say new rules.

Nor did I say you did. It was a question from me because of what you write here: Go to the drive through with only your passport, no TM30, or TM28 necessary, though, must have the address registry slip that is stapled into your passport and then you write this Takes about three minutes. Though, if you address has changed, then you need to go into the office with a new TM form.

I thought the drive through was only for 90 day reports and why go there if as you say address have changed you must go into the office.

I was myself away to another province for New year and went into the building which I presumed from earlier experience was the correct place but then again ........was difficult it seems ened up with wrong address / name on registry slip.......????  you know the digital times........eh

On 2/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, Gecko123 said:

Thailand is monitoring my whereabouts more closely than America monitors the residence of a registered sex offender. What does that tell you?

It tells us they would prefer we just leave or pay tribute via an agent, whereupon this and much other pointless stuff somehow goes away.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:32 AM, ChouDoufu said:

1.  other threads on this indicate that under the law, a renter is effectively the house-master, so you "can" self-report. 

At some offices yes - others no. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, bkk6060 said:

Boy, sounds like a pain.

I live in Pattaya and for several years travel all the time in and out of the country and within.

Never done anything and never been asked anything by TI when I go there for business.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, Pungdo said:

I went home to Oz for Xmas and while at Jomtien Immigration getting my re-entry permit I asked if I would need to lodge a new TM30 on my return (or at least my wife) I was told that because I am here on a Retirement Extension I did not need to, but I guess I might find out the hard way when I do my renewal next month.

At that location, if you are on a retirement-based extension, they are reported to not enforce this on everyone.  If married to a Thai or other, you have 3 days to report or else

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have seen ONE thread/report about "tm30 now required at CW"

That turned out to be extension based on marriage. I also suspect there may have been other issue.

Doing a marriage-based extension is all it takes for them to put the screws to you.

When combined with the other hassles of a marriage-based extension, the message seems to be, "Don't marry our ladies, or we will make things tough.  But just 'using' them periodically is ok."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Nor did I say you did. It was a question from me because of what you write here: Go to the drive through with only your passport, no TM30, or TM28 necessary, though, must have the address registry slip that is stapled into your passport and then you write this Takes about three minutes. Though, if you address has changed, then you need to go into the office with a new TM form.

I thought the drive through was only for 90 day reports and why go there if as you say address have changed you must go into the office.

I was myself away to another province for New year and went into the building which I presumed from earlier experience was the correct place but then again ........was difficult it seems ened up with wrong address / name on registry slip.......????  you know the digital times........eh

Yes, I thought it was for 90 day only as well. A volunteer told me to go to the drive through and there is a sign there that says 90 day, address registration and one other thing that I can't recall. No need for any new paperwork if your address is still the same.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:13 PM, Skeptic7 said:

I leave numerous times each year. I live in BKK and previously Pattaya...and have never done a TM30 and never heard a thing about it. Renewed my extension based on retirement just this past December and not a peep. Never done one and don't intend to ever do one. Should they ever fine me the ฿1600 or whatever it is...it's totally worth not being bothered with all this idiotic, unnecessary, ridiculous, onerous nonsense. :thumbsup:

Best reply ever....

• Thanks 2