One year old dies after swallowing toy ball at hospital

webfact

One year old dies after swallowing toy ball at hospital

cc.jpg

A family in Ban Chang, Rayong are trying to come to  terms with tragedy after a one year old child swallowed an electric toy ball the size of a ping pong ball while in hospital. 

The child - Aura or Apinya Thongtan, aged one year and three months - was in Ban Chang hospital suffering from a serious fever for two weeks. 

A relative had brought her toys to play with and these were in a basket beside her head on the bed in a private room on Saturday. 

Aura's grandmother was in the room looking after her but had taken a nap. It is thought that the child played with the ball and put it in her mouth. 

It got lodged in her throat and no one knew until nurses came to check up on the little girl's fever. Pincers were used to extract it but the child was already unconscious. 

CPR was performed and she was transferred to Rayong Hospital but she was pronounced dead on Sunday a day after swallowing the object.

Her father Suwan Thongtan, 33, spoke of the family's terrible grief and especially that of the grandmother who has lost her first and only granddaughter. 

He hoped that this case would be a warning to parents to be careful about small objects given to young children.

Three days of funeral rites are being held at Wat Suwannawanaram in Ban Chang. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-19

Another unnecessary death of an infant through gross stupidity,

that's what little kids do put things in their mouths,so you have

to be very vigilant to make sure they dont have small objects

like that to play with.

RIP little one

regards Worgeoordie

I once tried to tell a friend of my maid to supervise her young child of around one year old when she gave her toys with small magnets. I explained that the magnets could get swallowed and if you had two pieces that magnetized it could be especially deadly.  She gave me that patronizing look like I was being so silly but okay I'll indulge her.  I later got some news stories on the net about how this killed kids and passed them on to her.  Her kid is four now and still alive luckily.  

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:
4 hours ago, webfact said:

He hoped that this case would be a warning to parents to be careful about small objects given to young children.

There is a poor knowledge about this. Young children like to taste everything, so easy it slips down. Can't be to careful.

While I agree with your comment, to me, 'poor knowledge' could be seen as a diplomatic way of saying 'lack of common sense'.

So many times I mention about things I see as a safety hazard, most Thais I point it out to just don't grasp the idea of 'safety'.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK, there was a TV advert issued by some government office responsible for safety in the home.

The advert showed a toddler in the kitchen, stretching up and grabbing hold of the handle of a boiling chip pan on the gas stove. It was followed by only the sound of screaming as the hot oil covered the child.

As a result of being brought up with these ideas, I'm pleased I have managed to impress the point onto my Thai wife, who now always turns saucepan handles away out of reach.

Archived