Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 March 2019 23:39
webfact

One year old dies after swallowing toy ball at hospital

Recommended Posts

One year old dies after swallowing toy ball at hospital

 

cc.jpg

 

A family in Ban Chang, Rayong are trying to come to  terms with tragedy after a one year old child swallowed an electric toy ball the size of a ping pong ball while in hospital. 

 

The child - Aura or Apinya Thongtan, aged one year and three months - was in Ban Chang hospital suffering from a serious fever for two weeks. 

 

A relative had brought her toys to play with and these were in a basket beside her head on the bed in a private room on Saturday. 

 

Aura's grandmother was in the room looking after her but had taken a nap. It is thought that the child played with the ball and put it in her mouth. 

 

It got lodged in her throat and no one knew until nurses came to check up on the little girl's fever. Pincers were used to extract it but the child was already unconscious. 

 

CPR was performed and she was transferred to Rayong Hospital but she was pronounced dead on Sunday a day after swallowing the object.

 

Her father Suwan Thongtan, 33, spoke of the family's terrible grief and especially that of the grandmother who has lost her first and only granddaughter. 

 

He hoped that this case would be a warning to parents to be careful about small objects given to young children.

 

Three days of funeral rites are being held at Wat Suwannawanaram in Ban Chang. 

 

Source: Thai Rath

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

 -- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, webfact said:

He hoped that this case would be a warning to parents to be careful about small objects given to young children.

There is a poor knowledge about this. Young children like to taste everything, so easy it slips down. Can't be to careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once tried to tell a friend of my maid to supervise her young child of around one year old when she gave her toys with small magnets. I explained that the magnets could get swallowed and if you had two pieces that magnetized it could be especially deadly.  She gave me that patronizing look like I was being so silly but okay I'll indulge her.  I later got some news stories on the net about how this killed kids and passed them on to her.  Her kid is four now and still alive luckily.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...