Leaving Car going away for 4 to 5 weeks

John9

Am going to leave my car in condo car park, cover it and go away  for about 4 to 6 weeks maximum. Please suggest do I need to lock car by remote

or manually with key ? Do I disconnect car battery positive end or leave fully connected in order that it will start immediately on my return.

All suggestion advice appreciated and thanking all in advance. I have not done this anytime before and have got new Toyota Yaris ATIV  only two months old.

4-6 weeks, new car it will be just fine parked and locked with the blipper. If you want you could add a steering wheel lock but a condo car park should be pretty secure.

Park it in gear (or P) with the handbrake off, for a short time it shouldn't matter but you really don't want a stuck handbrake when you return.

Moving to Motoring for directed comments.

With all the electronics in automobiles these days, I would definitely not disconnect the battery - you are just asking for complications of you do that.

We leave our car here each year for six months and have a family member start it up every month or so. We have been doing that for a number of years and have had no problems.

57 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

With all the electronics in automobiles these days, I would definitely not disconnect the battery - you are just asking for complications of you do that.

We leave our car here each year for six months and have a family member start it up every month or so. We have been doing that for a number of years and have had no problems.

I guess you don’t work on cars. Most jobs require you to disconnect battery before proceeding. I’ve never had any issues following this procedure.

5 hours ago, John9 said:

Am going to leave my car in condo car park, cover it and go away  for about 4 to 6 weeks maximum. Please suggest do I need to lock car by remote

I would think you would be fine with the battery for 4 to 5 weeks but if you were concerned, you can purchase a battery trickle charger if you have access to an electrical outlet.  Any trickle charger would work but make sure you get one that automatically prevents overcharging.  I would not disconnect the battery.  In newer cars that causes all sorts of memory issues with the memory chips in the car.  I am most familiar with the Deltran Junior battery tender.  You should be able to get at most auto places, hardware stores or mail order like Lazada. 

1193719.jpg

11 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I guess you don’t work on cars. Most jobs require you to disconnect battery before proceeding. I’ve never had any issues following this procedure.

Do you???.... In the past 10 years or so I’ve been told not to disconnect the batter as it would interfere with the immobilisation sequence (Range Rover & BMW’s)... 

Never an issue leaving the car, locked with the key fob (or keyless touch) for 4-6 weeks. 

If you use Gasohol fuel you may want to fill the tank or top-off with 95 Octane gasoline. I use Gasohol 91 and just fill the tank before leaving. reduces the empty volume at the top of the tank and risk of condensation. I have left mine with battery connected for 4 weeks or less but 6 to 8 weeks I disconnect the battery. 

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I would think you would be fine with the battery for 4 to 5 weeks but if you were concerned, you can purchase a battery trickle charger if you have access to an electrical outlet.  Any trickle charger would work but make sure you get one that automatically prevents overcharging.  I would not disconnect the battery.  In newer cars that causes all sorts of memory issues with the memory chips in the car.  I am most familiar with the Deltran Junior battery tender.  You should be able to get at most auto places, hardware stores or mail order like Lazada. 

1193719.jpg

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with something purchased from Lazada plugged into my car for 4-6 weeks !!!!...   Dodgy copies, funky electronics, power surges.... its asking for trouble.. 

IMO - its just best not to worry about the issue... On return ensure you check your car. 

A good backup plan would be to get hold of a handheld ‘jump-starter’ so that if your battery were too low to turn the motor it may help with starting it (but from complete flat you may have immobilisation issues - in which case have a number for your nearest dealer at hand is necessary).

Realistically - no issues with a modern motor for 4-6 weeks.....

I leave my car every year for the last 5 years for 5 months. First 2 years fine just put it in park and it started fine. Years 3 and 4 I did the same but the battery was dead when I returned so had to get a jump start. Last year I disconnected one battery terminal and then started it fine. Yes I know the battery is on its way out but once it has started its fine.

1193719.jpg.c563a31ed89af321f177ba057b19c127.jpg

I use that exact model charging unit on the automobile we leave in the US for the half year that we spend in Thailand. It works as advertised and each time I return, the car starts immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Modern cars may have a  procedure regarding disconnecting the battery, a bridge for instance.

One should consult ones handbook just to be sure..????

On 2/19/2019 at 10:24 AM, bkk6060 said:

I would lock it and do nothing else.

The battery should be fine for that time especially on a newer vehicle.

I would advise to leave the handbrake off. Battery optional but i always disconnect mine as you can never be sure that you will be back in a few weeks, i went to oz for 1 month, developed a  medical problem and was away for 4 months.

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, John9 said:

or manually with key ? Do I disconnect car battery positive end or leave fully connected in order that it will start immediately on my return.

All suggestion advice appreciated and thanking all in advance. I have not done this anytime before and have got new Toyota Yaris ATIV  only two months old.

So what was the outcome? What precautions did you take, if any? Did the car start upon your return?

Yes it started. Thank you. I did as per advice: Left handbrake off, locked with key and kept

battery connected. but I came back in 4 weeks, may be I will have to think when I go for longer period say 2 to 3 months ?

Thanks to all for advice.

Archived