CM to US fastest: FedEx, DHL, Thai EMS ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, CM Friends,

I need to get a document to the US east coast pronto. I assume either FedX, or DHL, would be faster than any class of Thai mail service.

Appreciate knowing your thoughts, experiences !

thanks, ~o:37;

I can't speak for the others, but I would NOT use FedEx when I needed absolute speed. They often will not deliver on Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays, and even if one has specified and PAID FOR Overnight Delivery, if it arrives at their depot after 1pm on Friday, it probably won't go out for delivery until Monday, and the recipient will be charged for 'storage fees' for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, as well as 'insurance fees' for sitting in storage.  I've had this happen to me twice before I learned my lesson.

I sent an A4 sized envelope EMS on two occasions.   The first one was mailed at the beginning of December 2018 took 2 weeks to delivery in California.  The other was mailed 28 Jan and delivered 4 Feb, also in California. 

Orang,

I send a document to Hawaii every year with FedEx.  It is delivered in 3 to 4 days.  The recipient is not open on weekends or holidays, so I cannot comment regarding delivering on weekends or holidays.  

It is expensive, but it serves my purpose well.

1) Got a FedEx envelope from TX to CM and it took 4 days

2) Sent a small envelope through Thai Post to Los Angeles from CM and it took 8 days.  I paid 130 Baht and was able to track it on the Thai Post website.  The name of the person who signed for the envelope was noted on the tracking page.  

update: I called the FedEx service center (1782) and talked to a rep who spoke very good English: their office on the ring-road is open today until 3PM. Cost of a single letter to the US about 1200 baht (200 baht discount for bringing it to the office).

Sawasdee Khrup, Many thanks for these timely responses ! 

I went out to the DHL office near Airport Plaza ... forgot today is Macha Bucha; they were closed. Would have been nice if their web-site had a notice about that; I found myself unable to get a quote on their (Thai) web-site: every time I filled in the US zip code in the "To:" field, it reset the address  in the "From:" fields (yep, I made sure the ad-blocker was off) ????

TIT

cheers, ~o:37;

4 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Sawasdee Khrup, Many thanks for these timely responses ! 

I went out to the DHL office near Airport Plaza ... forgot today is Macha Bucha; they were closed. Would have been nice if their web-site had a notice about that; I found myself unable to get a quote on their (Thai) web-site: every time I filled in the US zip code in the "To:" field, it reset the address  in the "From:" fields (yep, I made sure the ad-blocker was off) ????

TIT

A letter from the UK cost 37 GBP (1500 Baht ish)  and took a few days to CM by DHL

The problem with EMS is that it must go through regular Usps customs like any other package.  So it could be held up there for a couple of days; usps tracking is horrible.   The other carriers like FedEx, UPS, DHL will get it there fast.  2-5 days guaranteed.   $65 usd or something like that for legal envelope not exceeding 0.5kg.

If you want Saturday delivery attempt, you must specifically request that when you order. 

It you can wait a few extra days, airmail + registered is more economical, and will still take 4-8 days. 

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

update: I called the FedEx service center (1782) and talked to a rep who spoke very good English: ..............

I was surprised when I was there Friday that the woman at the counter spoke perfect fluent English - and with a full British accent. My wife reminded me that she was the 2nd such FedEx rep we have encountered there in the last year or two who speaks English with a British accent.

3 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

... wait a few extra days, airmail + registered is more economical, and will still take 4-8 days. 

Thanks, I wasn't aware that registered+air-mail is available as an alternative to EMS. ... duuuhhh ... I had this idea EMS was a catch-all for a range of service classes, including air.

~o:37;

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I sent a document from the Chiang Mai main FedEx office on the ring-road opposite Makro on Monday, Feb. 25th., about 1:30PM. local time, to Pennsylvania.

I was not required to open an account, or show id. However, it took my best "Thai ways humble and smiling" manner to persuade the clerk to accept an address which was a post office box.

It was delivered Wed., Feb. 27, at 10:11AM EST. That's faster than I expected.

Cost: 1,246 baht. 

Note: if I had brought it in before 11am, it's possible it might have gone by air to BKK earlier. if I had opened a new account, I would have received a 30% discount on the first shipment, however, opening the account would have taken a few business days.

your mileage may vary !

Archived