Insect eating: Nine villagers fall sick after eating raw cicadas

webfact

Insect eating: Nine villagers fall sick after eating raw cicadas

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Doctors in Nong Bua Lamphu in Thailand's north east have warned locals not to eat raw cicadas in their dishes. 

They have said that insects such as this should always be cooked. 

Nine villagers were hospitalized with stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea after eating the insects raw in the local dishes of "laab" and "koy". 

Dr Surapong Padungwiang said that fecal and blood samples of those affected were being examined by toxicologists. 

He said that people who buy the insects can't be sure where they have come from and they could be contaminated and should always be cooked. 

Daily News went so far as to say that some of the patients cheated death after eating the raw insects. 

Meanwhile the director of the Nong Bua Lamphu hospital Chaithawat Niamsiri was seen attending a local religious ceremony called Bun Khao Jee Yai in which he tucked into "laab" made with cicadas - but they were cooked. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-19

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Plenty of different bugs in raw food. A nasty infection from eating raw pork is ตืดขึ้นสมอง =Pork Tapeworm infection in the brain. It could take years before the symptoms of neurocysticercosis appears, like blindness and seizures. 

Neurocysticercosis.gif

not to mention botulism

4 hours ago, neeray said:

Help !

I'm already sick from reading this. Will probably have to go veg for the next few days.

Well I was very ill last trip and it continued for days after I came home. No less than 3 crap samples were requested by the doctor and in a day he rang me to say this is from a salad ... I pinned it down to a regular Caesar Salad I have... or had... in an Italian restaurant. Not thai food... but I have been offered those insects by ladies many times in bars.  

1 hour ago, terryofcrete said:

Well I was very ill last trip and it continued for days after I came home. No less than 3 crap samples were requested by the doctor and in a day he rang me to say this is from a salad ... I pinned it down to a regular Caesar Salad I have... or had... in an Italian restaurant. Not thai food... but I have been offered those insects by ladies many times in bars.  

Interesting and yes, salad can be the source of infection (such as eggs from parasitic worms and harmful bacteria) if not washed properly. Raw cicadas (insects) also carry harmful bacteria and should be washed and pan fried before consumption, not just in Thailand but in other countries as well.

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Help !

I'm already sick from reading this. Will probably have to go veg for the next few days.

My sister came to visit me here in Thailand... she had a salad her 3rd day here... it took 6 months before the doctors finally cleared her to go back to work (she's a chef). So remember, always eat clean and cooked food!

18 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Do you know which part of the salad was responsible? (What’s in a Caesar salad)

Archived