buying a house (land hers, house mine)

On 2/20/2019 at 8:54 PM, Jen65 said:

strange how few people know there is a form available at the land office which should be completed when you and your partner/wife buy land and a house together with you as a farang funding the purchase and you want to ensure you will never be "locked out "  !     The form , signed by both of you , gives you the right of entry / occupation for whatever duration you specify or until you die or until you rescind your rights !   It costs a few hundred baht - simple and economical !! No need for expensive lawyers !!   Your wife/ partner/other half can not dispose of the property and can not refuse you entry .  

Strange how some people don't know that a contract between wife and husband can be voided at any by either party, making such a form worthless if married already (if not married a usufruct works as well, at least for 30 years, but that's probably longer than most people's life expectancy here on Thaivisa)

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Strange how some people don't know that a contract between wife and husband can be voided at any by either party, making such a form worthless if married already (if not married a usufruct works as well, at least for 30 years, but that's probably longer than most people's life expectancy here on Thaivisa)

The usufruct can also be a Lifetime Usufruct, the only instance that I'm aware of that exceeds the 30-year limit.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, golfpro47 said:

After splitting up with my girlfriend I started making moves to get my House back,the House and land were in her name.

After suffering from all the Doomsday know all’s that I had no chance of getting my House back I visited a Solicitor explained everything to him and he was happy to take the Case on.

To cut a long story short after just under a Year at our final Court appearance I was awarded the House but as in Thai Law I could not have the Land in my name,we retired to the Chambers the Judge,Solicitor,Translator and the Thai Manager of the Village I lived in,after discussing this for a while the Land was put in the Village Managers name and the House in my name and this ended in a satisfactory result for me.

This was one of the funniest posts to read in a while. It was sarcastic, right?

Anyway, thanks for the lolz

On 2/20/2019 at 8:04 AM, ebean001 said:

A usufruct with your wife is worthless by Thai law.

hummmm. It has worked will for me. I have total control of the house. I rented the house to other people. no problem. The only problem is I cannot sell the house without her signature...and that will cost me a ton of money.

I take it that you need her signature as she owns it & only gave you entitlement of 30yrs/life by way of Usufrut

Archived