Honda to shut UK car plant in 2022 with the loss of 3,500 jobs

webfact

2 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Imagine for a minute the executive decision committee in Honda the day they reviewed the internal strategic analysis. Here's what Brexiteers think happened:

Boss:  Is this the full analysis on why we should or should not keep the UK operation?

Executive team: Yes, it's the full story. 

Boss: What about Brexit, the biggest political and legal event to hit UK in the past 30 years, is that not relevant?

Executive team: No sir, we didn't even examine that issue it's so irrelevant.

Boss: Great. thanks then....????

And it continued this way:

Boss: Anyway, would you mind preparing an analysis?

Executive team: No sir. No one ever did a Brexit. It is impossible to examine. A black-box. 

Boss: But how about our supply-chain. How do we prepare?

Janitor (shouting): Project Fear! Traitor! 

Executive team: No problem sir. That’s solved. We are deploying a new innovative technology.

Boss: What’s that?

Executive team: Good question sir. It hasn’t been developed yet. 

Boss: That doesn’t work. 

Janitor (shouting): Traitor!

Executive team: Henry Ford didn’t need just-in-time. You need to be more creative sir. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I am not getting into the pro / anti brexit argument but has anyone realised why Nissan , Honda , Toyota started manufacturing in the UK.

The EU was making it VERY difficult for the Japanese to get a toehold in Europe in the seventies, import inspections, vague compliance rules and paperwork galore all aimed at protecting the French, Italian, German motor industry.

The Japanese dangled a very tasty carrot to the UK Government that could only see the benefits of jobs in the “ deprived areas” and they fell for it, this gave the Japanese unlimited access to Europe as the cars were made in UK, very forward looking people the Japanese marketing men.

They have now got an agreement giving them entry to Europe and of course it is going to be cheaper to manufacture in Thailand and other Asian countries, they no longer need the UK.

pity those supposed superior forward thinking british marketing men/engineers cannot come up with something similar....whoops they forgot how to build cars in the 70s and 80s probably due to been on strike most of the time,lets hope they still remember how to produce turnips and spuds for the jobs of the future???? 

Just another comment, I worked for BL in the late seventies as a Dealer Manager, every week my Dealers were pleading for cars that they could sell, Land Rovers, Range Rovers , all I was being told to push was Allegros, Rover 2300 in awful colours and Itals.

The result was Dealers leaving the BL franchise and Nissan were snapping them up, the beginning of the end.

Management can be blamed but the Unions laid down the rules, Rover night shift for Range Rover started at 10 pm, all work ceased at about 1.30am as they had done their quota and so virtually everyone slept.

As I said ,Dealers were crying out for the car but there was absolutely no way the Union was going to accept any increase in production, they hastened the death of BL.

Before I am accused of Union bashing look at Australia, Mitsubishi wanted to remain in Australia, they requested a renegotiation of the outrageous union agreement in place, the workers agreed but the Industrial Court denied a hearing as it could create a precedent which could erode workers rights. Mitsubishi closed, workers rights to unemployment ruled.

4 hours ago, PJPom said:

I am not getting into the pro / anti brexit argument but has anyone realised why Nissan , Honda , Toyota started manufacturing in the UK.

The EU was making it VERY difficult for the Japanese to get a toehold in Europe in the seventies, import inspections, vague compliance rules and paperwork galore all aimed at protecting the French, Italian, German motor industry.

The Japanese dangled a very tasty carrot to the UK Government that could only see the benefits of jobs in the “ deprived areas” and they fell for it, this gave the Japanese unlimited access to Europe as the cars were made in UK, very forward looking people the Japanese marketing men.

They have now got an agreement giving them entry to Europe and of course it is going to be cheaper to manufacture in Thailand and other Asian countries, they no longer need the UK.

Very interesting, thanks.

I do start to wonder if the EU saw the trade agreement with Japan as a way to kick the UK in the teeth for voting to leave.  Punishing the UK by enabling the Japanese to move their manufacturing away. Or at least they probably saw it as an added bonus. 

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I do start to wonder if the EU saw the trade agreement with Japan as a way to kick the UK in the teeth for voting to leave.  Punishing the UK by enabling the Japanese to move their manufacturing away. Or at least they probably saw it as an added bonus. 

nigel said they wouldnt laff,i think he called that one wrong,theyve been laffing for 2 years????

5 hours ago, PJPom said:

There is no tariff free entry under the EU - Japan agreement for cars manufactured outside Japan.

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Honda's withdrawal is a consequence of the Brexit vote, as is Sony, Panasonic, Nissan ... with more to come.

That must be why much of the U.K’s manufacturing industry had reallocated to Eastern Europe,not forgetting Ford to Turkey. All before Brexit was an issue.

The incentives ( payed for by the U.K taxpayers) dangled by the Bureaucrats in Brussels, had of course nothing to do with it.

3BCA89FE-6BE8-4B99-AEC8-B0668D2B7A66.jpeg

28 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

More EU blaming. Or do you really think that negotiations only started after the referendum, instead of in 2013. You also conveniently forget that the UK agreed - the House of Commons voted in favour of the UK supporting EU signature of the EU - Japan Agreement, in June 2018.........

18 minutes ago, damascase said:

More EU blaming. Or do you really think that negotiations only started after the referendum, instead of in 2013. You also conveniently forget that the UK agreed - the House of Commons voted in favour of the UK supporting EU signature of the EU - Japan Agreement, in June 2018.........

I knew that negotiations started several years ago. I didn't realise the HoC voted in favour of the deal in June 2018. I did some quick digging just now. It appears they voted it through in anticipation of the UK being able to replicate the EPA after we leave the EU.

It seems they didn't think that one through properly...

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Honda's withdrawal is due to several factors. Yes, the trade deal one of those, but it is very, very obvious one of the other factors is brexit.

It may be obvious to you,with your blinkers on.

However not only has Honda stated their decisions to transfer their British and Turkish operations to Japan had absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. But surprisingly, or is it, many prominent remainers have today appeared on the UK media sites, stating they Do accept that this transfer,was solely down to market forces.

Now why would that be?

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

However not only has Honda stated their decisions to transfer their British and Turkish operations to Japan had absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. But surprisingly, or is it, many prominent remainers have today appeared on the UK media sites, stating they Do accept that this transfer,was solely down to market forces.

Now why would that be?

it could well be honda are also not blaming brexit as to not get involved in all the chaos/stupidity of it all,after saying they were committed to the plant only last year it seems rather strange,iam pretty sure their will be statements/interviews/articles from them in the next few months that prove brexit was a factor,we all know a hard brexit from the day after the vote and the place would of been flattened now and spuds planted

It's amusing to read the comments of the "Brexit deniers" ... over the next few years we'll hear every excuse in the book to explain each disappointment ... every excuse accompanied by "it's got nothing to do with Brexit" ... 

Brexit is looking like a slow moving car crash, and Brexit lovers are doubling down on the stupidity. 

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Now why would that be?

So, with Bexiteers' thinking all the MBA curriculum programs worldwide should be completely redesigned and existing academic thought scrapped. All those corporate strategy models that the best managers in Honda studied, managers hired from the best schools are wrong. There is no reason to apply Pestle analysis, which takes into factor significant political and legal factors (Brexit would be the most important factor in this case); tariff analysis in supply chain analysis (Brexit's changes would be the most important in this case), and all the other interrelated supply chain and operations issues that would negatively change with a Bexit (which would be massive and have great implications for Honda's marketability, delivery and cost). 

Yup, Brexiters are brill on this one. Talk about blinkers on.

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, I asked for facts.  I didn't ask for more partisan opinions. 

You’d need access to Honda internal documents and private discussions at senior levels. Not something that anyone gets.

But, as you say, and as you’ll be saying quite a lot in the future “it’s nothing to do with Brexit” ... 

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Yes ... but ... that’s just “fake news”, experts talking to industry insiders and reporting what they say. We’re all sick of experts. You only have to pop down to your local Whetherspoons to get the facts on one of their beer mats. It’s nothing to do with Brexit ... it’s down to elites and globalists ... Eton educated Rees Mogg and Johnson told me so, and I prefer to believe these salt of the earth types to any industry insider any day. It’s all the fault of Remainers, not getting behind Britain ... traitors one and all. And foreigners, like George Soros, who funds every remainer comment on Thai Visa. That’s why I get up every morning angry and hating the world.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back to my Gammon steak.

20 hours ago, bomber said:

it could well be honda are also not blaming brexit as to not get involved in all the chaos/stupidity of it all,after saying they were committed to the plant only last year it seems rather strange,iam pretty sure their will be statements/interviews/articles from them in the next few months that prove brexit was a factor,we all know a hard brexit from the day after the vote and the place would of been flattened now and spuds planted

For some strange reason,????you don’t mention my comments regarding many ardent remainers, who have appeared on different media, acceptlng that Honda’s decision had absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Likewise Honda’s decision to also close their plant in Turkey, which I beleive is not part of the U.K.

20 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It's amusing to read the comments of the "Brexit deniers" ... over the next few years we'll hear every excuse in the book to explain each disappointment ... every excuse accompanied by "it's got nothing to do with Brexit" ... 

Brexit is looking like a slow moving car crash, and Brexit lovers are doubling down on the stupidity. 

Very true, and Honda’s decision to close their plant in Turkey, and relocate back to Japan, is also the result of Briexit. The same goes for Fords decision to close a plant in Germany and relocate back to the USA.

Both of these and others, ALL to do with Brexit.????????????according to those who refuse to accept, and respect the Democratic vote of the British people.

54110989-8C14-46D3-A1E5-5C3B2CF6D577.jpeg

Archived