Honda to shut UK car plant in 2022 with the loss of 3,500 jobs

webfact

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

How?
The EU deal allows them to ship to EU from Japan already assembled without any tariffs

How would or, does, Brexit affect that?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

That deal would also allow them to ship from UK to EU without any tariffs.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That deal would also allow them to ship from UK to EU without any tariffs.
I have experience of now working through a Japanese company, absolutely no way they would give it to the UK or anyone else when they have the oppprtunity to create work and jobs for their own economy

This EU tariff deal had only one resolution and that was them taking the work home..

8 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

How?
The EU deal allows them to ship to EU from Japan already assembled without any tariffs

How would or, does, Brexit affect that?

More to the point, if the UK are out of the EU then we have to pay 10% more for Hondas than they do in the EU.  (AKA WTO tariffs)

2 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

I have experience of now working through a Japanese company, absolutely no way they would give it to the UK or anyone else when they have the oppprtunity to create work and jobs for their own economy

This EU tariff deal had only one resolution and that was them taking the work home..

Changing the goal posts during a discussion.

More to the point, if the UK are out of the EU then we have to pay 10% more for Hondas than they do in the EU.  (AKE WTO tariffs)
That comes down to future trade negotiations later on, when hopefully we have people who put the countries interests before their own

Although I am doubtful on this.....

5 hours ago, PJPom said:

A simple fact of life, the man who put the badge on the Ford Focus in Australia was paid over $1000 per week ( 25,000 baht at the time). The worker also enjoyed penalty rates, sick leave, maternity leave, bereavement leave and numerous other expensive benefits which made labour the most expensive part of car costs.

Ford abandoned assembly in Australia and imported Focus from Thailand where a man put the badge on for 2500 baht per week, had few benefits and actually worked.

More and more manufacturing companies will leave the higher paid areas as they need a profit, can we blame them?.

Too many auto manufacturers in a market that was too small. Holden, Ford, Toyota and Mitsubishi. Nissan before that. Ford was probably the worst, as it persisted with gas-guzzling Falcons that nobody wanted. We should have been able to keep Toyota as a single auto manufacturer. Abbott and Hockey sabotaged that.

Canada experienced a lot of plant closures since 2008. They were probably just sick of the unions.

But don't worry. Canadian dollar tanked and Asians bought a bunch of real estate. The same may happen in UK. Expect 28 baht to 1 UK pound. It's a realistic and fair number.

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Funny, the top Honda man gave a statement on UK national news channels shown this morning and said Honda wanted to take most production back to Japan in line with a revised business model owing to GLOBAL demand in car sales... He never referred once to Brexit being a factor...

So is not a Brexit issue - Honda have other plants in Europe so why if it is a Brexit thing are they not moving production from Swindon to one of these Euro plants? 

Maybe read the full story and facts before talking BS about Brexit this and that... 

Many of the companies pulling out of the UK wont offend the British Government by blaming it on Brexit, they still want favours and subsidies...

"So is not a Brexit issue - Honda have other plants in Europe so why if it is a Brexit thing are they not moving production from Swindon to one of these Euro plants?" So why Swindon and not one of there European sites???

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Many of the companies pulling out of the UK wont offend the British Government by blaming it on Brexit, they still want favours and subsidies...

"So is not a Brexit issue - Honda have other plants in Europe so why if it is a Brexit thing are they not moving production from Swindon to one of these Euro plants?" So why Swindon and not one of there European sites???

Absolutely true about offending Britain. And, more importantly, Honda does not want to offend potential British customers by involving itself in politics in any way, especially in such a politically charged issue. It will just quietly go and hope to keep selling cars to those unfortunate Brits who will now pay more for their cars no longer made in Britain and no longer using British labour.

look once the Brexiteers get out of Europe and I can imagine a few up in Sunderland will be twitching 

there will be  plenty of opportunities that Mr Fox is working on to get all the  rest of the world to  buy and invest in  Great  Britain  ect 

the British Empire strikes back and we will be great again ? 

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

LOL, Swindon is the ONLY Honda car production plant in Europe , thats why Honda are not moving other European car assembly plants , because there isnt any 

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A vast number you say.

What, like Chinese whispers?

But hey, at least we know now where you’re getting your ‘news’.

image.jpeg

Where do you think you are getting yours and how are they alone in being right?

32 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Let’s see

A. Because of brexit

B. Not because of brexit

I’ll go with...A

39 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Where do you think you are getting yours and how are they alone in being right?

When I post a reference to what someone has said, I provide a link to the record/source of the statement.

I don’t post grabs from propaganda being distributed on Facebook or stuff ripped from websites established by the likes of Arron Banks.

I’ve never claimed I’m alone in posting comment that are ‘right’.

This thread alone has many factual and well informed posts from other TVF members, even on the odd occasion by Brexiteers.

That said, reposting nonsense from ‘Westmonster.com’ whatever were you thinking?!

54 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Let’s see

A. Because of brexit

B. Not because of brexit

I’ll go with...A

Hope you have’t put a bet on that.

A bit off topic, but Ford have announced closure of their German plant. Do you think that is also related to Brexit.

8 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Hope you have’t put a bet on that.

A bit off topic, but Ford have announced closure of their German plant. Do you think that is also related to Brexit.

Quoting something from the sun...

And I’ll stick to my view brexit is a factor in hondas decision. 

As to fords decision, I agree, it’s off topic. 

Archived