"Taxi Mafia" blamed in attack on family in pick-up in Pattaya

webfact

"Taxi Mafia" blamed in attack on family in pick-up in Pattaya

5pm.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam New

A family went to Pattaya police after a taxi driver attacked their pick-up with a sparta knife yesterday.

The incident happened at the Grand Intersection on Thepprasit Road after earlier trouble at Jomtien Beach. 

Wanna Khenaran had arrived with five members of her family to enjoy a day out at the beach but she said that trouble brewed when a man there started eyeing members of the family.

The man was asked what his problem was and after rocks were picked up and it looked like the family was being threatened a friend of Wanna's younger brother went after the man. 

A fist fight ensued and when the other man was unable to fight back he was seen making a phone call. 

Fearing worse trouble the family decided to go home but at the intersection a taxi pulled up at the red light and the driver - who Wanna thought was probably the father of the original man in the fight - got out and aimed two blows with a sparta knife to the driver's side window. 

Pattaya police are investigating. 

Ruk Siam News used the term "taxi mafia" in their story. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-19

In what other civilised country would a group of taxi drivers get away with this behaviour? They were resistant to Uber because they thought they were being undercut, but in reality, Uber drivers just had nicer and safer cars and charged a fair rate for their trips. 

I generally avoid Thai taxis at all costs for these reasons. No seatbelts, excessive speeds and attempts to renegotiate fares or meter usage once the journey is underway. 

41 minutes ago, SammyT said:

In what other civilised country would a group of taxi drivers get away with this behaviour? They were resistant to Uber because they thought they were being undercut, but in reality, Uber drivers just had nicer and safer cars and charged a fair rate for their trips. 

I generally avoid Thai taxis at all costs for these reasons. No seatbelts, excessive speeds and attempts to renegotiate fares or meter usage once the journey is underway. 

Never any real punishment for anything they do so why should they change?

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

Civilised? 

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

I urge my visiting friends to avoid them and use Uber. Pattaya taxis are a pox on Pattaya and present a bad image for Thailand. Afterall, the damaged image is all that matters in order to get action.

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Police do absolutely nothing here

They were all on the railway line bypass rd looking for drunk drivers!

They should do it on beach road mostly all Thais sit drinking and driving home drunk so just because few police make a check point it is not going to change anything if they not do it on the right spot 

41 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

They should do it on beach road mostly all Thais sit drinking and driving home drunk so just because few police make a check point it is not going to change anything if they not do it on the right spot 

I was a bit surprised to see them there and quite early at about 1.30 pm. Perhaps Bangkokians heading home was the target.

6 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:
4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Haven't had any honest cabbie news for days....

One hour after you posted Sir,.......they are getting good at this.........

Thailand 4.0 in action:

Looks like TAT must have some sort of 'auto responder' trawling the net - one mention of a negative taxi driver story and it will automatically reply with with something to negate it.

3 hours ago, champers said:

This is a bit of a stretch to call this out as taxi mafia activity. It is a childish argument that got out of control and one of the protagonists just happened to be driving a taxi.

Very true, however a taxi driver holds a responsible position in society with safety of others paramount....yet this guy is carrying and using a weapon in broad daylight without a care for any recourse.

"a taxi driver holds a responsible position in society"

555, It's a job that basically requires no training, any high school drop out that can drive is instantly qualified to become a taxi driver.

14 hours ago, baansgr said:

Very true, however a taxi driver holds a responsible position in society with safety of others paramount....yet this guy is carrying and using a weapon in broad daylight without a care for any recourse.

A lot of drivers do carry weapons in Thailand, taxis, minibus, anyone. Be careful out there. 

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

There is NO METER usage in Pattaya EVER - the police condone it.  (That's the other mafia.)

Has anyone EVER had a Pattaya taxi driver use a meter?  If so, let me know where he/she is so I can reward him/her with ALL my business.

Did they not bring them all in a few days ago with a meeting on how to be polite and not to overcharge customers, they even gave a free first aid course after the meeting. WAs the Sparta knife loss of face defence course included in the meeting? I must have missed the memo on that one. 

Archived