Social Media humble pie: Taxi driver exonerated over abandoning Japanese tourist

webfact

Social Media humble pie: Taxi driver exonerated over abandoning Japanese tourist

7pm.jpg

The Thai tourist police have said that a taxi driver - slammed on social media for allegedly dumping a Japanese tourist miles from her destination - is a good guy. 

The TPB website said there were many good taxi drivers out there and Lamyai Aranmit, 52 was one of them.

He was seen flanked by Lt-Gen Theeraphon of the tourist police and Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" chief of immigration. 

A social media furor erupted last week after the tourist was "rescued" by a good Samaritan on the Thonburi side of the river after being taken there by the driver. She was given an omelet then helped back in the right direction.

She had wanted to just go down Sukhumvit Road. 

Following the social media fury directed against taxi drivers the police tracked down the driver. 

But he was innocent. He had been contacted via Grab taxi and been told to take the tourist to the Om Noi Soi 13 housing estate which is exactly what he did. He charged 295 baht as per the meter after following the GPS coordinates to the desired location.

He has all the licenses necessary and displays them appropriately. 

The TPB site on Facebook said it was all a misunderstanding and that the tourist and the man who helped her by giving her an omelet had been mistaken in condemning the driver. 

The TPB said that there are some great taxi drivers out there - but if you do find a bad one who doesn't turn on the meter or who refuses a far you can always call 1155 and the TPB will act. 

Posters on the TPB website suggested that people who were quick to condemn others should have some humble pie for their next meal. 

Source: Thai Tourist Police Bureau

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-19

7pm1.jpg

The report of the tourist police says she was picked up at Sukhumvit Soi 62.

Sounds like she just wanted to go to (popular) Sukhumvit Soi 13.

But what could "om noi" stand for?

Too many Soi 13 in Bangkok metro area :biggrin:

And a proof that a smart app does not substitute old fashioned technique like a business card in Thai or the like.

It’s a known reality that as long as you’re Thai you’re pretty much allowed to do whatever you want in the land of deception since they’re immune/protected by their own people and the police about no matter what crime they’ve committed ! Simply disgraceful ????????‍♂️ Scary ????

18 hours ago, Ramdas said:

It’s a known reality that as long as you’re Thai you’re pretty much allowed to do whatever you want in the land of deception since they’re immune/protected by their own people and the police about no matter what crime they’ve committed ! Simply disgraceful ????????‍♂️ Scary ????

Er, he didn't commit a crime. 

And how do you explain the several hundred thousand Thai people in jail if thais are just allowed to do whatever they like as they are protected by their own people and police? 

The "land of deception" sounds a very scary place indeed.  Are you related to Fruitman by any chance? 

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Om-noi, Samut Sakhon. It's a district,  a place which is fairly obvious from the article, "take the tourist to Om-noi....." 

I know, I read this.
But assuming she wanted to Soi 13 Sukhumvit, what could she have searched for?

First Soi 13 in a list of GRAP app?

Who knows...

As written, always better have something to show in Thai script on paper of smartphone.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Er, he didn't commit a crime. 

And how do you explain the several hundred thousand Thai people in jail if thais are just allowed to do whatever they like as they are protected by their own people and police? 

The "land of deception" sounds a very scary place indeed.  Are you related to Fruitman by any chance? 

You’re either new to Thailand or just being naive..Luckily there are plenty of news and forums in Thai visa to educate yourself on Thai people’s behaviour towards foreigners.

They commit crimes on a daily basis such as killing people whether on roads accidents armed with knives or guns and in the sea and always getting away with it since their police let them do whatever they want including ripping people of and misleading similarly to this episode, I really feel sorry for that Japanese woman since Japan is the opposite of this lawless biased country.

You will soon find out !

8 hours ago, Ramdas said:

You’re either new to Thailand or just being naive..Luckily there are plenty of news and forums in Thai visa to educate yourself on Thai people’s behaviour towards foreigners.

They commit crimes on a daily basis such as killing people whether on roads accidents armed with knives or guns and in the sea and always getting away with it since their police let them do whatever they want including ripping people of and misleading similarly to this episode, I really feel sorry for that Japanese woman since Japan is the opposite of this lawless biased country.

You will soon find out !

Thanks for your insight.  Been here nearly 24 years thank you and I have never been scammed by a Thai, never been disrespected by a Thai, and I haven't been murdered by one in the sea.  

It seem these terrible things only happen to a certain group of people on this forum who go around the country complaining, treating people disrespectfully, looking down on the Thais, making no effort to learn the language, hanging around exclusively with prostitutes, and generally being arsey and disdainful.    I think that is no coincidence.

Obviously you think I've just been lucky.

9 hours ago, Ramdas said:

You will soon find out !

I assume you do not go to such a dangerous place?

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Thanks for your insight.  Been here nearly 24 years thank you and I have never been scammed by a Thai, never been disrespected by a Thai, and I haven't been murdered by one in the sea.  

It seem these terrible things only happen to a certain group of people on this forum who go around the country complaining, treating people disrespectfully, looking down on the Thais, making no effort to learn the language, hanging around exclusively with prostitutes, and generally being arsey and disdainful.    I think that is no coincidence.

Completely wrong, I live in the real world, thank you

On 2/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, josephbloggs said:

No offense, but "never been scammed" is a big statement. Either a) you've been "scammed" wittingly (i.e. willingly paying "farang" prices etc.) and gave up thinking about it or b) you haven't realized yet that pretty much everything you spend money on (except your grocery shopping and restaurants) is over what a Thai would pay for the exact same thing (from rent to your bike to a used laptop).

I think the other poster is comparing Thailand with Japan, and of course that is an "unfortunate" comparison, given that no country in Asia can compare with Japan.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:06 PM, josephbloggs said:

Well I spend about 4 years in Thailand I got broken in to twice had my accommodation burned down got bitten by soi dogs so I am just unlucky then, I lived in Australia for 45 years and never had any problems 

21 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well I spend about 4 years in Thailand I got broken in to twice had my accommodation burned down got bitten by soi dogs so I am just unlucky then, I lived in Australia for 45 years and never had any problems 

Well yeah, that's unlucky.  I have lived in several houses and never been broken it to (although I know people that have).  Soi dogs are an issue, undoubtedly, I wish Thailand could deal with that problem.

I just don't have a negative attitude about me and don't encounter the constant "scams" that some people on here think are all around them.  If you go around thinking everyone is out to get you and thinking every Thai is a greedy crook who hates you then it's no surprise that you don't feel accepted.  (Not "you" as in you personally, just several people in this thread and others).

Why did someone burn your accommodation down?

21 hours ago, elzach said:

No offense, but "never been scammed" is a big statement. Either a) you've been "scammed" wittingly (i.e. willingly paying "farang" prices etc.) and gave up thinking about it or b) you haven't realized yet that pretty much everything you spend money on (except your grocery shopping and restaurants) is over what a Thai would pay for the exact same thing (from rent to your bike to a used laptop).

I think the other poster is comparing Thailand with Japan, and of course that is an "unfortunate" comparison, given that no country in Asia can compare with Japan.

I totally disagree.  Dual pricing at national parks irks me but it's not a big deal.  

And I don't know what happens to you but I pay the same as a Thai in 95% of situations, without a shadow of a doubt. Yes, tourists will be charged more than a Thai in places like Patpong for a fake bag because they don't know the value, those sellers are very canny, and that is the nature of commerce - the value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for it.  No different to a street stall in London.  I guarantee you if I go to that same market and negotiate in Thai, I will always get it for the same, or less, than my wife would be able to.

Archived