Which Thai banks show incoming SWIFT transfers as coming from overseas?

1 hour ago, indepth said:

Your home bank will provide you with statement that you transferred money from their bank to a thai bank , you show your bank book , thai, has received the money. Problem solved, yes, no?

I am sure Immigration officers will have a lot of fun trying to read statements in Danish language :cool:

57 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes even for the 800k/400k in the bank I feel I am at the mercy of how the machine updates my pass book. If there is a consolidated entry, no way to prove if the balance did not fall below limits during that period. 

To play safe you need to update your pass book after every transaction.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes even for the 800k/400k in the bank I feel I am at the mercy of how the machine updates my pass book. If there is a consolidated entry, no way to prove if the balance did not fall below limits during that period. 

You can always get a bank issued statement, which does not suffer from the consolidated entry problem.  I don't know of any immigration office that will refuse a stamped Thai bank statement, even though they will also want to see your passbook.  Consolidated entries in a passbook are easily explained by reference to a bank statement.  In fact, Phuket Immigration already requires a stamped bank statement along with the bank letter and has for years.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

You can't expect Immigration to sign off on consolidated entries in pass books, I wouldn't, you need to provide bank statements. I'm going to update my pass book regularly now so my monthly transfers are shown

You can always get a bank issued statement, which does not suffer from the consolidated entry problem.  I don't know of any immigration office that will refuse a stamped Thai bank statement, even though they will also want to see your passbook.  Consolidated entries in a passbook are easily explained by reference to a bank statement.  In fact, Phuket Immigration already requires a stamped bank statement along with the bank letter and has for years.
Plus some accounts nowdays do not come with passbooks...you can only get statements.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I wonder whether the money is regarded as 'being in Thailand' when it is exchanged into Baht, at that day's exchange rate, or is it at the rate when the original transfer was made, in which case the IO will have to look at historical data to find out.

You will need to get a bank letter, specifying how much GBP you have, and how much it is in baht on the day the letter was issued. The numbers on that letter is the only thing the IOs care about.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

dont use bank TT rates, you can easily get better rates; smart currency exchange, oanda, ofx...

The bank TT rates matter if you hold foreign currency for use as proof of funds, as explained above. I transfer money for actual use via fully refundable 0% fee ATM withdrawals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, indepth said:

Your home bank will provide you with statement that you transferred money from their bank to a thai bank , you show your bank book , thai, has received the money. Problem solved, yes, no?

The UK Pension service are unlikely to provide that for you........anyone correct me if I am wrong please.

Also Bangkok Bank have a faux London branch which transfers funds from the Pension folk directly to my Bkk bank branch here BUT it does not show as an FTT entry, just TRF, meaning transfer. So who knows if this will be acceptable.............too many questions, too few answers from Immigration.

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

In fact, Phuket Immigration already requires a stamped bank statement along with the bank letter and has for years.

And that's all your fault! ????

Is there no end to the ever expanding list of personal paperwork these twits require!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can't expect Immigration to sign off on consolidated entries in pass books, I wouldn't, you need to provide bank statements. I'm going to update my pass book regularly now so my monthly transfers are shown

I simply have to break old habits. Pass books are stone age... Previously it got put away the day I got my extension, and only dusted off for update 90 days prior to the next one, after an email reminder. This new requirement is stupid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And that's all your fault! ????

Is there no end to the ever expanding list of personal paperwork these twits require!

Phuket Immigration is often on the cutting edge of bad rule interpretations, but this one is one of the least burdensome as you already need to get the bank letter.  The statement is just another 100 baht fee (although that will go up as we probably will need to show 12 months worth of bank statement rather than the old 3-4 months).  You could say we don't have to worry about updating our passbooks in Phuket to preclude the occasional consolidated entry if you wanted to be a PollyAnna about it. ????

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If there's any question that the balance COULD have dropped below the minimum required due to consolidated entries then Imm will ask you for a detailed bank statement... I was caught out like that a few years ago, but no problem with a 3 month statement.  

• Like 1

If there's any question that the balance COULD have dropped below the minimum required due to consolidated entries then Imm will ask you for a detailed bank statement... I was caught out like that a few years ago, but no problem with a 3 month statement.  
ANY consolidated entry could mean a drop below the minimum

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, steve73 said:

ANY consolidated entry could mean a drop below the minimum

Not necessarily... If the Balance at the start less the total consolidated outgoings is above the minimum requirement then there is no way that minimum could be breached.

Eg. Start 2MM, total outgoings 1MM, total deposits 500k.

Not necessarily... If the Balance at the start less the total consolidated outgoings is above the minimum requirement then there is no way that minimum could be breached.
The consolidated amount could be 1 baht, -800,000 +800,001, this is the problem with consolidated figures
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Mathematically, you are correct, but I sure wouldn't want to have that sort of discussion with an Immigration Officer.  A bank statement will set you back 100-300 baht, well worth the cost in my estimation.  Frankly, it's just easier to deal with as a bank statement than it is in the passbook.

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Mathematically, you are correct, but I sure wouldn't want to have that sort of discussion with an Immigration Officer.  A bank statement will set you back 100-300 baht, well worth the cost in my estimation.  Frankly, it's just easier to deal with as a bank statement than it is in the passbook.

When I first started using retirement extensions I had plenty of funds here and Imm. were happy with just consolidated entries in the passbook.  As my funds reduced to the point where the balance COULD have been below the minimum from the consolidated entries ONLY then did they start requesting a bank statement.  Or they suggested I simply keep the book up-to date... But I agree, it's now much easier for me to update it annually and use a bank statement.

I did a SWIFT transfer to SCB and it came up as FTT on my online statement, whereas my previous Transferwise (TW) transfers were shown as domestic. Problem was the cost of the transfer was so much higher than TW, couldn't afford to lose that much each month. I opened a Bangkok Bank account because I believe it's the only bank that shows up TW transfers as international. You have to keep an eye out though because occasionally TW can send via one of two other local banks; one being TMB. I'll be doing the 400,000 in the bank marriage visa (for the first time) on my next renewal, but thereafter, I'll probably switch back to the monthly income method. It's good to have a few irons in the fire in my opinion, as you never know what they're going to come up with next.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 7:51 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You didn't mention today's thread where someone, a German I believe, went to BKK CW Immigration with proof of his monthly 65K transfers from foreign accounts to his Thai bank account, bank letter and bank book and all...

And, according to the thread, the IOs at his office told him they would not accept his proof of monthly income xfers into Thailand via bank statements and such, because his country's Embassy is still issuing income affidavits, and thus Immigration wasn't willing to accept the monthly bank xfers method.   :w00t:

That was always the case before the "famous four" embassies broke away from the norm. The amendments are for those four country's passport holders, the remainder still need the embassy letter. You or I would use our common sense, but this isn't a big commodity amongst local immigration officers. Saying that though, and going by the book, they are strictly correct.

Ok then.

You have gathered together all your docs and presented them to Imm. You have done all you can and there is no wriggle room left. You believe that everything is in order.

But! The IO says "cannot". What is the next move? Is there a next move? 

You are being treated unfairly; who can you turn to? An appeal??

Edited by owl sees all

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Ok then.

You have gathered together all your docs and presented them to Imm. You have done all you can and there is no wriggle room left. You believe that everything is in order.

Next move, hire an agent, which is what they always wanted you to do in the first place.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Ok then.

You can get a bit angry then get thrown out by the Immigration police. Unfortunately no appeal or complaints team it seems

On 2/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, Pib said:

I can't argue that....they usually are on the low end compared to other Thai banks when it comes to exchange rates....and at this moment in time they are on the very bottom.

image.png.80870fa332401490f9a2966f84c4c4a3.png

Yes , but they have 1 of the best interest bearing rates , or so Im lead to believe..

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:
Ok then.

You can get a bit angry then get thrown out by the Immigration police. Unfortunately no appeal or complaints team it seems

I'll have my bags packed, ready and waiting.

After arriving in England, i'll not have a lot of dosh left each month after I've sent most of it to Thailand (through TW) to support my Thai family.

The thought of living in a East London doorway, during the winter, does not really appeal to me. But in the summer there are some nice places to doss down; parks and recreational grounds. Then there is Parslows Park in Dagenham where (have to be quick) you can jump the barrier and get to the bread before the ducks, and the undesirables, eat it.

Have to get up to speed on the soup kitchens too.

Edited by owl sees all