Office 2019

Fat Prophet

I have 2 computers that I use regularly, one has Office 2010 and the other has Office 2016. I use mainly Word in the Office suite, and see no significant difference in the operation of these 2 Word programs. I just saw that there is now an Office 2019. I would update both computers if I update at all. Has anyone installed the new office 2019? Is there any significant difference in the new Office 2019 from the older Office 2016? Is there any benefit to upgrading/updating to Office 2019? There is also an Office 365, but I haven't considered using that Office format; should I? I do not use cloud storage, and have no plan of doing so in the future. Thanks, FP

It makes more sense to use Office 365 as much as that is the case with Creative Cloud from Adobe now. 
I pay a small amount monthly for them to have hassle free up to date Office & Photoshop.

This way you are not restricted to a certain device or location as well.
Try checking on Thai prices / pay with Thai card, that makes a difference many times.

Oh and you can also use it Offline / sync files offline so need to be forced using Cloud storage only.

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

It makes more sense to use Office 365 as much as that is the case with Creative Cloud from Adobe now. 
I pay a small amount monthly for them to have hassle free up to date Office & Photoshop.

This way you are not restricted to a certain device or location as well. Try checking on Thai prices though, that makes a difference many times.

Thanks. I have thought about using the cloud, but as of now I have no plan to going to cloud storage. It is an interesting idea, but I prefer having everything I need on my computer. And I have an external 1T hard drive if I want to carry my files separately from my computer. 

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

I also do not use the Cloud for storage but do use 365 for ease (and keeping everything up to date) - everything is on your computer(s) with 365

It does depend what package you opt for as to how many installs (if any) you can have. See the next post................:wink:

Office 365 which includes always the newest Office version cost in Thailand currently 290THB per months.

It allows offline usage without internet and online usage.

Here are the Thai prices

https://products.office.com/th-th/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

And here is the same in English

https://products.office.com/en-SG/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

OP, if you do decide to go for Office 365, the following link will give you all the information you need from Microsoft:

https://products.office.com/en/compare-all-microsoft-office-products-b?tab=1&OCID=AID737190_SEM_lHzfbvr2&MarinID=slHzfbvr2|331130866782|%2Boffice %2B365|b|c||60417876605|kwd-21134816425&lnkd=Google_O365SMB_NI&gclid=CjwKCAiA767jBRBqEiwAGdAOrzkzqFqstrsCO1x3rrjPgjyQWK0pyt1gr-U5OlrWRSIWKh9eDI02hxoCDTwQAvD_BwE 

It outlines the different packages, for both home & business, and what they contain. I admin for around 60 Premium accounts, and the Outlook virtual servers from MS are a God send for the email aspects.

I have seen recently links for licences for Office packages that do seem too good to be true. In the name of research, I have bought a couple of these and they do work. Here is something to look at from a local online store:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.popular.8.1125719cEiu1m2&q=Office 365&abtest=&item_id=8504205&pos=8&abbucket=&clickTrackInfo=staticRankScore^0.00545154185022026___userHisAction^0.4325145767687135___pvid^a0646d5b-6053-4e64-a9fb-0f21ee87bb78___trendId^c0d0371d490a66b8406b8d078c55a438___CatePerfer^0.12912997757775965___nids^8504205&up_id=8504205&from=hp_mostpopular&acm=icms-zebra-5000381-2586221.1003.1.2262790&scm=1007.17092.103386.0&version=v2

Scroll through the products to see the vast difference in pricing. I'm pretty sure that these are legal-ish (someone has found a loophole in the system) otherwise I wouldn't have posted the link.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Office 365 which includes always the newest Office version cost in Thailand currently 290THB per months.

It allows offline usage without internet and online usage.

Here are the Thai prices

https://products.office.com/th-th/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

And here is the same in English

https://products.office.com/en-SG/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

:smile: You got the post in just before me.

Thanks. All very interesting information. In all honesty, the updates to Windows and other apps (the worst for me being Viber, which updates almost daily) come too often and are annoying and can, at times, be frustrating. I think that security updates are done as required/available on Office 2019, and that may be enough. Office 2010 and Office 2016 seem to work fine with very little noticeable difference between them, and without problem. I am interested in upgrading/updating if there is any significant benefit -- as noted in one of the posts, the cost is extremely low (it is not a loophole, it is a recent EU court ruling and the copies are fully legal (at least you can get legal copies at very cheap prices; no doubt bent copies are also available at cheap prices)). But I have yet to hear/read any specific benefits/improvements of Office 2019/365 over Office 2016, so I will stick with what I have running now, but keep looking for something to convince me otherwise. Thanks again for the helpful thoughts. 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:20 PM, Fat Prophet said:

as of now I have no plan to going to cloud storage.

Me neither. I switched to Office 2019 about 6 months ago and it just works. I switched from Office 2016 32bit to Office 2019 64bit on a Win10 system and documents and spreadsheets just look better and more modern in output. Very pleased with the text to speech option in Word that helps me proof read stuff. The 'free' versions come with 6 month re-activators that work just fine as well ;-)  

9 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Me neither. I switched to Office 2019 about 6 months ago and it just works. I switched from Office 2016 32bit to Office 2019 64bit on a Win10 system and documents and spreadsheets just look better and more modern in output. Very pleased with the text to speech option in Word that helps me proof read stuff. The 'free' versions come with 6 month re-activators that work just fine as well ????

Be careful with switching to the 64bit versions!

32bit and 64bit Office versions both work on 64bit operating systems, so it is not necessary to change to 64bit.

Lots of add-ons, VBA, etc. is based on the 32bit version and maybe won't work on the 64bit Office.

There might be updates, but maybe not. Better check.

Archived