Traveling only with daughter

I'm going abroad with one of my daughters, who is 16.

A couple of years ago, I was told I needed a letter from the amphur then translated into English, saying that her mother agreed.

Does anyone know if this is still required for a kid over 16?

this is your biological daughter and you need a letter?  what planet am i living on????  

but i'm guessing you don't live with her mom, and who knows what other information i might have to assume to even guess at a solution that might be wrong.  

just get 10,000 letters and give money to everyone.....sorted

On 2/19/2019 at 2:48 PM, puukao said:

this is your biological daughter and you need a letter?  what planet am i living on????  

but i'm guessing you don't live with her mom, and who knows what other information i might have to assume to even guess at a solution that might be wrong.  

Yes, my daughter and I live with her mother, who agrees. But I thought at 16, it might not matter of she agrees or not.

I believe the people I know who had problems, had them when entering their home country. In Bangkok airport, once they made me call the mother.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:48 PM, puukao said:

Sometimes one parent will steal (kidnap) a child.    When the child is underage many  countries  require consent from the remaining parent.   Not shocking really.     

I think my son was 13 or 14 when he and I went to US to visit family. Now he's a dual citizen but when we had moved from Singapore couple of years before he'd entered on his Thai passport, so he had to leave on that while providing his US passport for proof that he could legally enter the United States.

We spent 40 minutes haggling, getting my wife on the phone to confirm she agreed he could leave.

I'm not sure there is any clear rule, like many things in Thailand it's up for interpretation. 

So unless you're some time crunch I'd err on the side of caution and get that written permission to take with you.

It has nothing to do with nationality or nationalisaties but all with the fight against child kidnapping. So many countries ask parents (especially if its just 1 parent) traveling with minors to show evidence of parental/guardian/custody rights and an okay from the parent that does not join the kids on the trip.

In Thailand this can be arranged via a form at the district office (amphur). In Europe (NL) it's done via the town hall etc. 

Sure, immigration at both port of entry and departure won't ask all families but they certainly  an do checks. At random or because you meet some criteria (suspicion).

Members who wrote they never were asked such evidence when leaving Thailand or their western home country may be right that they haven't been asked.  But it certainly doesn't mean it's not required. There is a chance they ask you to show you are not kidnapping the kids even if you are a biological parent. So better be prepared just incase.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:54 AM, Neeranam said:

Does anyone know if this is still required for a kid over 16?

I believe the age of majority in Thailand is 20, so would say yes, it is still required.

49 minutes ago, Donutz said:

Members who wrote they never were asked such evidence when leaving Thailand or their western home country may be right that they haven't been asked.  But it certainly doesn't mean it's not required. There is a chance they ask you to show you are not kidnapping the kids even if you are a biological parent. So better be prepared just incase.

Indeed. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The first time my wife and step daughter left Thailand with me my wife was taken to one side by Thai immigration and asked to prove she had sole custody of the girl or her father's consent. Fortunately we had packed the sole custody papers in our hand baggage just in case.

She hasn't been asked since, maybe that's the luck of the draw or maybe after the first time it was on record somewhere that she has sole custody when their passports were scanned. Moot now anyway as the girl is now 28.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

@Neeranam

A 'Talking head' video on your smartphone wouldn't do you any harm but as stated earlier I have never had any probs.

HTH

As Donutz says

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Donutz said:

Members who wrote they never were asked such evidence when leaving Thailand or their western home country may be right that they haven't been asked.  But it certainly doesn't mean it's not required.

Myself and others have already said here that we have been asked for such evidence; in our case nearly 20 years ago, others much more recently. 

One ember was severely delayed because he was asked for such evidence and didn't have it

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, GinBoy2 said:

We spent 40 minutes haggling, getting my wife on the phone to confirm she agreed he could leave.

As already said, more and more countries are checking on this, not every time, but randomly, due to ever increasing concerns over child abduction. The likelihood of being asked for such evidence is increasing, not diminishing.

To imply that just because you have never had problems means no one else will is completely irresponsible.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As Donutz says

Myself and others have already said here that we have been asked for such evidence; in our case nearly 20 years ago, others much more recently. 

One ember was severely delayed because he was asked for such evidence and didn't have it

As already said, more and more countries are checking on this, not every time, but randomly, due to ever increasing concerns over child abduction. The likelihood of being asked for such evidence is increasing, not diminishing.

To imply that just because you have never had problems means no one else will is completely irresponsible.

Was that last little dig necessary 49? I offered an icing-on-the-cake suggestion that from an immigration perspective would be far more convincing than a humble piece of (unofficial) paper required by some jobsworth.

Whether or not the OP agrees is entirely his perogative.....as was mine in posting!

I have taken my daughter to the UK every year for the last 6 years, she is now 13 years old. I have always visited the local government office with my wife for a letter giving permission to leave Thailand with my daughter. I have never been asked to show the letter.

I have been stopped in the UK once at the airport and my daughter has been questioned, to make sure nothing dodgy is going on.

6 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I have taken my daughter to the UK every year for the last 6 years, she is now 13 years old. I have always visited the local government office with my wife for a letter giving permission to leave Thailand with my daughter. I have never been asked to show the letter.

I have been stopped in the UK once at the airport and my daughter has been questioned, to make sure nothing dodgy is going on.

Took both my daughters on a Father/Daughter European tour when they got to be 13.

The only time we ever got stopped and questioned was on one flight with my eldest daughter from Milan to London.

The guy was nice, just asked my daughter a couple questions about who I was, and we were on our way

26 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Was that last little dig necessary 49? I offered an icing-on-the-cake suggestion that from an immigration perspective would be far more convincing than a humble piece of (unofficial) paper required by some jobsworth.

Whether or not the OP agrees is entirely his perogative.....as was mine in posting!

Officials are usually more accepting of pieces of paper they can check, especially if it has been authenticated, than by a video on a smart phone which could be anyone. It took GinBoy2 40 minutes to convince Thai immigration to let him take his son out of Thailand even though they had his wife, the boy's mother, on the other end of a phone!

But, please try your video idea and let us know how you get on.

The 'last little dig' 

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

To imply that just because you have never had problems means no one else will is completely irresponsible

had nothing to do with your suggestion of a video, but was in response to your comment 

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

but as stated earlier I have never had any probs.

for the reasons I explained.

You have the prerogative to post, I have the prerogative to point out that what you have posted is not only wrong but also irresponsible.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Officials are usually more accepting of pieces of paper they can check, especially if it has been authenticated, than by a video on a smart phone which could be anyone. It took GinBoy2 40 minutes to convince Thai immigration to let him take his son out of Thailand even though they had his wife, the boy's mother, on the other end of a phone!

But, please try your video idea and let us know how you get on.

The 'last little dig' 

had nothing to do with your suggestion of a video, but was in response to your comment 

You have the prerogative to post, I have the prerogative to point out that what you have posted is not only wrong but also irresponsible.

...the video (narrated by and starring mummy in both languages) could/should inc Daddy, child, home & passports/documents.

I didn't seriously expect to have to spell out the suggestion in monosyllables despite this being Thaivisa.

Why tempt them? The airline and Thai immigration have the right to prevent her travelling. And if your child has a Thai passport make sure you have it with you. My son 15 was stopped and was not allowed to travel because he had applied for a Thai passport and had not received it in the post yet. Your not dealing with rational people and the solution is simple if the mother is agreeable.. 

Many thanks for the thread OP.

I have traveled many times before with my Family and never been asked as we were all together. My wife was taken to one side once when we were going back to Saudi, and asked a few questions.

I am going to the U.K. in April with my Son who is 13. My wife is staying here. It never occurred to me that I may need a letter, so I will be going to the Amphur office to obtain any relevant papers.

Once again, thanks for the heads up, and informative replies. :thumbsup:

I was advised to take a Letter of Parental Consent from my wife when I (a Brit) visited the UK with our eight-year-old daughter.

On the way out, Thai immigration went to some pains to check we were indeed father and daughter - though they didn't actually ask to see the letter of consent when I offered it.

At the UK end, the woman immigration officer looked at our passports (my daughter has them for both the UK and Thailand), pointed at me and asked my little girl, "Who is this?" She replied, "My dad", and a this point I offered to produce the consent letter. The immigration officer smilingly said this would not be necessary and waved us through.

Clearly, authorities around the world are concerned about human trafficking, for which Thailand is infamous. In a way it was reassuring that both Thai and UK immigration were alert.

We downloaded our consent letter from a tourism website (sorry, can't remember which one). My wife signed it, appending her address and phone number. We had not been advised to have it notarised or even witnessed - which, on reflection, might have been worthwhile, just in case. 

From my and friends' experiences, not all nations insist on consent letters and those that do don't always make you produce them. It's obviously worth checking requirements in advance with the consulate of the destination country.

Good luck with your trip.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, Neeranam said:

I was told I needed a letter from the amphur then translated into English, saying that her mother agreed.

I've been travelling alone with my half-Thai daughter a couple of times.

If she has your family name in the passport, and is not very minor – which 16 not is, and you daugther can answer questions from an immigration officer – you might never be asked any questions by Immigration.

For the matter of being secured, you can have a standard letter from your local amphor giving you permission to travel (alone) with your Thai child. I had such a letter made, as I wouldn't take the risk of loosing air tickets and reservations due to a delay in immigration. You need to bring both the daughter and the mother, with passport and ID, to the local amphor, as the mother need to give permission. The letter shall not be translated to English, as it's needed in Thai immigration.

There has been a few threads about this in the last years, and other posters had same experience as I, i.e. no questions asked.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:14 PM, evadgib said:

Seconded

I believe the OP is traveling with his 16 year old daughter, not son.

While there are men who prefer young boys; it is more common for men to like young girls. Like it or not, some people think foreign men are interested in their young women. That may be the difference.

I have no first-hand knowledge, but have heard stories of fathers being unable to take their daughters out of country for many reasons, unless the mother agrees. 

When I left the PI with my wife, she was 20; however, she looked much younger. The immigration officers did not believe her ID--even though she had Philippine passport with picture and US visa, Marriage Contract, Devine Word University ID card with picture, and National ID card with picture.    

They held us up for two hours grilling us in separate rooms. They reluctantly let us go just in time to catch the plane. They did all this with no more evidence than she looked young. 

I doubt human nature has changed, even though it was a different country and was many years.

I'd get the letter from her mother, make sure she has passport or other proper ID, preferably with your surname; and hopefully her birth certificate has your name on it as the father.

19 hours ago, evadgib said:

...the video (narrated by and starring mummy in both languages) could/should inc Daddy, child, home & passports/documents.

I didn't seriously expect to have to spell out the suggestion in monosyllables despite this being Thaivisa.

I am not, and never have been, talking about your suggested video. I thought this was made clear by my saying 

23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

and

21 hours ago, 7by7 said:

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, evadgib said:

but as stated earlier I have never had any probs.

It seems it is not I who needs things spelt out in monosyllables!

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theoretically you need this letter.

Realisticslly the Immigration are lazy and rarely check.

I’ve travelled with my son without issue.  However, a friend was once questioned but let through after a call to the Wife.

So for me, all 3 of my kids are now fully paid up adults, so it's moot. 

But like I said in my previous post, with my son when he was young, it was touch and go. Who knows what they look for and the criteria for actually confirming it all.

Now with my son it was almost 13 years ago. Have things changed? Can only imagine it's stricter with all the human trafficking stuff, parents abducting children etc

So, the half a day you would undoubtedly spend in the Amphur getting that piece of paper is probably akin to buying travel insurance!

Archived