Specs, Glasses, Spectacles - Price comp with UK?

Crossy

I've not been to the UK for a zillion years.

We have family coming over in April, of course they are asking all sorts of questions, one which I can't answer is simply "are specs here cheaper than the UK?".

I'm assuming a simple lens prescription.

Anyone have any thoughts, best places to go (I'm assuming Top Charoen isn't on the list of "best").

Mine took 7 days, they quote 14, but they trade and give the impression of being US, in fact its Chinese and produced in Hong Kong. I would say yes enough time, worse case scenario you could post them on. Worth it for the saving, get them to browse the website, they could even have them shipped directly to the UK anytime.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Worth it for the saving, get them to browse the website, they could even have them shipped directly to the UK anytime.

Yeah, found the website, UK shipping would be the same as here, I'll suggest they check out the website. 

• Like 1

Unless they'll be needed for use while here, then why not check out the price of a pair they like in the UK before leaving, check out the price of a similar pair while here, and either buy them, if cheaper, or wait till they go back, if not?

• Like 2

Your friends may have a language barrier problem. I can speak Thai but my vocabulary is limited when talking about lens prescriptions etc, so I tried to use English and found theirs to be very limited. That’s just my experience. 

I have found that using a "Special Offer" such as Buy one get Two, in the UK from a company similar to Specsavers etc. To be more economical. Also, if you know your prescription Glasses Direct are good value especially when combined with some of the offers from the Money Saving Expert.

• Like 1

I bought 2 pair in Phnom Penh last week. I took my prescription from my home country optometrist.

1 pair for reading was $25.00.

1 pair for outdoor and TV viewing had lenses that darkened in bright sunlight was $45.00.

Ordered and collected in one hour.

Was told by the shop that the frames were from Italy and the lenses from Singapore.

Almost impossible to compare prices as every frame/lens is different. I haven't bought glasses in the UK for 15 years but i remember them being very expensive. I bought a good quality Hoya lens and frame from Euro Optics and paid 6000 baht which i thought was OK. Recently i bought a pair for my tgf from another opticians in Jomtien and paid 1500. But you can buy a pair for 50 baht !!

I don't know how you can buy mail order without knowing if the glasses fit (or look OK).

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 2

I paid 14.000 for progessive/bi focal Ray  ban that acted as sun glasses also.  Frames lasted no more than 18. Months before pitting  and lenses scrached at the slightest touch.  Similar in UK was £249 so cheaper there on my account. Get a quote before coming and then compare  when here.  On a side note,  I bought the very same/similar in Philippines for 9.000 baht and are still perfect condition