BANGKOK 18 March 2019 20:51
Crossy

Specs, Glasses, Spectacles - Price comp with UK?

I've not been to the UK for a zillion years.

We have family coming over in April, of course they are asking all sorts of questions, one which I can't answer is simply "are specs here cheaper than the UK?".

I'm assuming a simple lens prescription.

Anyone have any thoughts, best places to go (I'm assuming Top Charoen isn't on the list of "best").

Mine took 7 days, they quote 14, but they trade and give the impression of being US, in fact its Chinese and produced in Hong Kong. I would say yes enough time, worse case scenario you could post them on. Worth it for the saving, get them to browse the website, they could even have them shipped directly to the UK anytime.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Worth it for the saving, get them to browse the website, they could even have them shipped directly to the UK anytime.

Yeah, found the website, UK shipping would be the same as here, I'll suggest they check out the website. 

• Like 1

Unless they'll be needed for use while here, then why not check out the price of a pair they like in the UK before leaving, check out the price of a similar pair while here, and either buy them, if cheaper, or wait till they go back, if not?

• Like 2

@ballpoint indeed, this is a bit of advance research, if it looks like same or more expensive we won't waste time shopping.

On a related topic, any recommendations for where to get your eyes tested In Bangkok or should I wait till I’m visiting UK next month?

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@ballpoint indeed, this is a bit of advance research, if it looks like same or more expensive we won't waste time shopping.

Don't bother. Take a look at post #5. Cheaper than Zenni and cheaper postage too.

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Like 1

Massively cheaper here - also at Chareon (or however you spell it) they are offering 50% off Oakleys and 70% off a second pair (incl Rayban) right now . I've got a mate in the UK who's Mrs is an optician and she told me that Oakley do not allow discounting at all else they will stop supplying (to 'protect' the brand). The retail price has not been jacked up to make the saving look better either.

So I'm wondering whether they are dodgy but surely not from a major high street retailer right ? They are kept under lock and key so I'm assuming real. But that's a seriously deep discount.

If they are real you could make a killing buying a few hundred pairs and hawking them out on UK Ebay !

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Anyone have any thoughts, best places to go

Cheapest is Zenni Optical mail order, unless you want to take a trip to Vietnam.

Glasses aren't cheap in Thailand, but maybe cheaper than the UK by a little.