Specs, Glasses, Spectacles - Price comp with UK?

Crossy

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Sorry, but you are just over-complicating a simple matter. 

Yes, you want a comprehensive eye test, but if you think that you are getting a better product and lens from the average optician, you are sorely mistaken.

This is how they make their money, from inflated prices for frames and lenses.

My spectacles are as good as any I have worn, if not better and they cost me £18 delivered. I used the prescription that I got from Boots The Opticians.

So sorry, but a good frame and good lenses I have and I guess the UK optician knew what they were doing.

If you want to pay more for the same, that's up to you, but don't try to sell us snake oil. I've seen the crap that many opticians here sell at high prices.

Sure, there are some shops who sell things with a high margin.

But there are also definitely high quality differences.

I use my titanium frame since years. No corrosion, nothing ever broken, perfect. And my lenses have multiple coating. No problems at night and/or with rain while driving.

Lenses have to be fitted 100% correct. With astigmatism the angle has to be 100% correct and the center of the lens has to be 100% correct. If I wear the "test frame" (shown above) I can adjust the angle myself to make sure it's 100% correct. And I know it's 100% correct because I can read even the smallest numbers on the test chart.

I want to see as good as it gets (for me). I am willing to pay a couple of 1000B more to get that. If you prefer to save that money that's obviously up to you.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The one time I was forced to get some replacement frames in Thailand, I got a pair of metal ones. I admit they were cheap, but after a short period of time, the metal corroded and turned the bridge of my nose green.

some years ago I bought plastic frames with metal hinges from Top Charoen and within 6 months the hinges had corroded into disintegration...they were like fake costume frames, paper mache stage props, the frames are continually in contact with salty perspiration (corrosive) and suitable material selection for the hinges (and other metal bits susceptible to corrosion) is required...

now with Zenni there's no looking back...btw, my order usually is delivered to my Thailand P.O. Box from Hong Kong between 7 - 10 days from when they advise dispatch...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Grusa, I disagree. Maria at Euro Optic in Pattaya is a very competent practitioner. Had several pairs very successfully. She evaluated a pair I had bought from an online place in UK, and said they were the cheapest, worst lenses she had ever seen. My vision through them confirmed that.

After moving up here I went to KT Optic in Central and, as I said previously, PERFECT SPECTACLES and good service.

You are lucky, and you are entitled to your opinion.

I am making an informed statement based on personal research and 40 years professional experience in the field.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Grusa, I disagree. Maria at Euro Optic in Pattaya is a very competent practitioner. Had several pairs very successfully. She evaluated a pair I had bought from an online place in UK, and said they were the cheapest, worst lenses she had ever seen. My vision through them confirmed that.

After moving up here I went to KT Optic in Central and, as I said previously, PERFECT SPECTACLES and good service.

Just curious any reason why you changed from Euro Optic to KT Optic - who I had not heard of before?

Just now, topt said:

Just curious any reason why you changed from Euro Optic to KT Optic - who I had not heard of before?

Because I moved from Pattaya to Phitsanulok. I think KT have many branches, but not as many a Top Charoen, and without the short white skirts!

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Because I moved from Pattaya to Phitsanulok. I think KT have many branches, but not as many a Top Charoen, and without the short white skirts!

Ah sorry, I had presumed you meant Central in Pattaya. My bad.

I agree with post #66. Maria is by far the best optician i have been to in Thailand and miles above anything you will find at "Top" Charoen. To me it is well worth a few thousand baht more to get a good lens/frame/prescription combination which will last for many years.

In the UK (Boots) I was quoted GBP180 (THB7,200) for varifocal and tinted lenses, including frames, with a second pair at half price.

On Monday in Hua Hin the quote was between THB25,000 and THB40,000 GBP 650 - GBP1,000 mind you the second pair was free.

Depends on your 'needs'.

I went for a brandless quality one now. It is a sturdy thin frame and glasses from real glass and a special layer against glares. Bought at Thai private store (you see them everywhere, waen ta, mostly small shops) it was done the same day just wait 30 minutes, cost me 600b. (promotional price)

Before that I had a VIS brand from Charoen, which is a chain store found everywhere, this was sturdy too with big frame, and double layers (one that darkens in the sun). Bought that one for about 2800 thb and had too wait 4 days for pickup the ready glasses.

I lost that one years ago wilst jumping in the northern ocean, and then I used different cheap glasses which are ranging from 80-120 thb each. From either Village markets, Big C or Lotus.

They break easy at the joint, but good temporary fix and a lot of styles to choose from and it wouldn't hurt you(r pocket).

If you have two different eyes, you should buy two of them and ask them pop one glass out from one and fix it in the other.

My eyes are around -2.25 both.

Overall, I am happy with the glasses from the small local shops.

Rgds,

On 2/21/2019 at 10:38 AM, Henryford said:

I agree with post #66. Maria is by far the best optician i have been to in Thailand and miles above anything you will find at "Top" Charoen. To me it is well worth a few thousand baht more to get a good lens/frame/prescription combination which will last for many years.

Maria may be a good optician but last year I had a pair of glasses from her shop (Euro Optic) and within about six months the coating was coming off the frame. They were not cheap so I went back to ask about guarantee - "no guarantee"...

Thailand prices are stupid high! My prescription is - 8.0.. So I need high index material for lenses. Progressive of course.. Nice frame... For the past year or so I was getting quotes between 20.000 and 25.000 baht. I walked into a shop in Mexico City lady Christmas... First place I checked... 3.000 pesos... About 5.000 baht! Great specs too.

Do not buy in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 2/20/2019 at 9:32 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, there are some shops who sell things with a high margin.

But there are also definitely high quality differences.

I use my titanium frame since years. No corrosion, nothing ever broken, perfect. And my lenses have multiple coating. No problems at night and/or with rain while driving.

Lenses have to be fitted 100% correct. With astigmatism the angle has to be 100% correct and the center of the lens has to be 100% correct. If I wear the "test frame" (shown above) I can adjust the angle myself to make sure it's 100% correct. And I know it's 100% correct because I can read even the smallest numbers on the test chart.

I want to see as good as it gets (for me). I am willing to pay a couple of 1000B more to get that. If you prefer to save that money that's obviously up to you.

I bought my glasses in Singapore, in 1992. I only replaced them last year because I dropped them on to the pavement and the glass shattered.

100% blah blah blah... I utilised the my U.K prescription for my online order, but dropped the dioptres by 1 in each eye. 

Much more comfortable.

The distance between your pupils doesn't change, so which measurements are not going to be 100% correct if your reliable optometrist supplied them in the first instance?

As I stated, pay more if you like, but if my glasses were not comfortable, they would already be in the bin.

I've tried all options, but like the fact that I can tailor my glasses to what I want and not necessarily what the optometrist seems to think is best.

All of the products(contact lenses and glasses) supplied by the optometrist sit in a cupboard, as they are too strong and give me headaches.

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I bought my glasses in Singapore, in 1992. I only replaced them last year because I dropped them on to the pavement and the glass shattered. 

100% blah blah blah... I utilised the my U.K prescription for my online order, but dropped the dioptres by 1 in each eye. 

Much more comfortable.

The distance between your pupils doesn't change, so which measurements are not going to be 100% correct if your reliable optometrist supplied them in the first instance?

My prescription changes every couple of years and new lenses are often needed. I have replaced my lenses several times because of this, and I usually get it done here for about 500-1000B depending on the type of lens. But I havent bought any new frames for about 5 years. Also I have several different pairs for different uses as I dont like vari/multi-focals. I also dont like carrying them around so I tend to leave one pair in the car, one by my bed, one by my PC, one on my coffee table etc.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

My prescription changes every couple of years and new lenses are often needed. I have replaced my lenses several times because of this, and I usually get it done here for about 500-1000B depending on the type of lens. But I havent bought any new frames for about 5 years. Also I have several different pairs for different uses as I dont like vari/multi-focals. I also dont like carrying them around so I tend to leave one pair in the car, one by my bed, one by my PC, one on my coffee table etc.

To be fair, my prescription is not complicated. So for those with progressive lense/bi-focals etc. they might have a differing outlook.

For my relatively simple prescription, these glasses are working out fine. Will order a spare pair or two.