BANGKOK 22 March 2019 17:32
Isac Szwarc Brasil

Which country to apply for a visa ,Spain or Portugal ???

I and my Thai gf are planning for a month holiday in Portugal and Greece next july , for economical reasons we will be landing in Spain as our first border with EU, and flying to Lisbon ,with a different ticket and different flight air cia. , a few hours later.I am braziliam so I will be OK at spain or Portugal border. As all our reservations for hotels and tickets will be mainly for Portugal , but we will need to cross EU border in Spain , where does SHE  need to apply for the visa , Spain Embassy or Portugal embassy ??? Thanks for your advice. Isac

have to apply at the first country of arrival Spain. When you fly/drive or walk from Spain to Portugal no need visa, there is no border, thus the only border is the first one when you arrive in Spain

• Like 1

Since the two of you will be spending most of your time in Portugal and using Spain purely as a transit point, 

she should apply at the Portugal consulate.

• Like 2

Thanks for you all , but some conflicting information , Mavideol said she needs to apply at Spain embassy because we are arriving in Spain , which is true , and Varun and Theoldgit say that should apply at Portugal embassy  since we are going to spend most of our time in Portugal , which is true as well , but then , when we arrive in Spain we only will have the visa from Portugal and we will need to cross immigration in Spain in order to catch the flight to Lisbon....I am confuse , need help,sorry thank you.

6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

That's not correct, you should apply at the Consulate with juristiction for the member state where the applicant intends to spend the longest time, if the applicant is intending to spend an equal amount of time in more than one member state, only then should the application be made via the Consulate with juristiction for the entry point into Schengen.
I'm aware of a number of applications that have been, correctly, refused where an applicant has flown into one country, and declared that they were spending longer in another member state. 

how can she clear customs in Spain without a visa.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks for you all , but some conflicting information , Mavideol said she needs to apply at Spain embassy because we are arriving in Spain , which is true , and Varun and Theoldgit say that should apply at Portugal embassy  since we are going to spend most of our time in Portugal , which is true as well , but then , when we arrive in Spain we only will have the visa from Portugal and we will need to cross immigration in Spain in order to catch the flight to Lisbon....I am confuse , need help,sorry thank you.

to avoid misunderstandings and conflicting information, please feel free to contact this people, they are very helpful  https://www.banguecoque.embaixadaportugal.mne.pt/pt/

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

how can she clear customs in Spain without a visa.....

Why would he need to?

Schengen Visas are issued by the member state where the applicant intends to spend the longest time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

For the avoidance of doubt, the Schengen rules are very clear, you should apply via the Portugese Consulate, if they issue your gf with a visa it will also be valid for entry into Spain.

2.1.2. If the travel destination includes more than one Member State, the application must be dealt with by the consulate of the main destination. The main destination is understood to be the destination where the applicant intends to spend the longest time or where the main purpose of the intended journey is carried out.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/policies/borders/docs/c_2010_1620_en.pdf

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

For the avoidance of doubt, the Schengen rules are very clear, you should apply via the Portugese Consulate, if they issue your gf with a visa it will also be valid for entry into Spain.

2.1.2. If the travel destination includes more than one Member State, the application must be dealt with by the consulate of the main destination. The main destination is understood to be the destination where the applicant intends to spend the longest time or where the main purpose of the intended journey is carried out.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/policies/borders/docs/c_2010_1620_en.pdf

just contacted my friend at the embassy, let's wait for his confirmation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thank you very much...

I send you a email with a contact information, good luck

• Like 1